Adblock Plus stopping open and fill on Chrome

PeterT01
PeterT01
Community Member

The 1Password5 open and fill function has stopped working for me. My default browser is Chrome. Having read a few discussions on open and fill, I disabled the Adblock Plus extension, restarted Chrome, and open and fill now works! I would prefer to keep some filtering on ads so would be reluctant to remove Adblock Plus permanently. Any advice?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PeterT01, I know we have some Chrome related bugs to resolve but I wasn't aware of any relating to Adblock Plus. Do you have any custom URL blocking going on or is it just the default lists?

• AB
    AB
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Hi @littlebobbytables - I came to the forums looking for a reason why I was experiencing behavior similar to that described by @PeterT01 (open and fill not working), and confirmed that I'm also experiencing the issue in Chrome (various versions, most recently 40.0.2214.115) running AdBlock Plus. When I disable AdBlock, Open and Fill works as expected. I am using the default AdBlock Plus lists. Just adding my voice and hoping to hear a timeline for the bug fix. Thanks for the great software!

[edit] using 1Password
    Version 5.1 (510027)
    Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AB,

Thanks for letting us know! Can you confirm if it's just Open and Fill that isn't working when AdBlock Plus is enabled? In other words, if you open a website first, then choose the matching Login item from the 1Password extension, does that fill your username & password?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

@Drew_AG - There are a couple of extensions for blocking ads. Although I don't usually use Crhome, in the interest of contributing here, I just opened my copy. When I visit a web site that requires my credentials and press CMD + \, my credentials are filled and submitted and I am taken to the next page. However, if I begin by clicking the 1Password icon in the browser itself and navigate to that same login record and click on it, it takes me to the correct page, but nothing is filled in. If I disable my version of AdBlock +, my credentials do fill and submit when I start from the extension within the browser.

I'm on 1Password 5, Version 5.3.BETA-15 (530015)
    And beta 4.3.0.10 of the extension.

So there isn't any confusion, I've attached a screen capture of the extension I use:

• AB
    AB
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Hmm, it doesn't look like that use case works either - i.e., opening a website first, and then choosing the matching login. I tried a random sample of about 6 sites and did not have any luck. Some sites are generally finicky with logins, so it's hard to say definitively, but certainly Open and Fill is not working with AdBlock Plus. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can test anything specific/further for you.

Thank you!
    AB

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth, thanks for testing that and letting us know the results! :)

@AB, thanks for testing this as well! Out of curiosity, if you disable the AdBlock Plus extension in Chrome, are you able to open a website and fill it by choosing the matching Login? Also, are you using the same version of the AdBlock Plus extension as hawkmoth? I also have an AdBlock Plus extension installed in Chrome but it doesn't seem to be causing the same problem for me - although it looks like I'm using a different version than the one in hawkmoth's screenshot.

• AB
    AB
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Yes, I am able to open a website, fill it, and login using 1Password both when I open the matching site and straight from the browser extension when my ad blocker is disabled. As it turns out, I am using a lighter-weight adblock plugin called uBlock (please see attached). Perhaps it is uBlock - what extension are you using that is working correctly, if you don't mind my asking...AdBlock or Adblock Plus? Another?

Thank you!
    AB

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AB,

I don't mind at all! Here's the one I have installed:

Now, I should mention that I first installed that years ago and don't know much about it or how it's different from other adblock extensions, but I don't recall ever having a problem with it. Looks like it's made by adblockplus.org.

By the way, something else you should try (if you haven't already done so) is to disable the adblock extension, then restart Chrome, and then re-enable it. It's possible the restart of Chrome can make a difference with this issue.

If that doesn't help, you can try resetting the adblock extension back to default settings, if possible. This might help if you've added additional rules or customized any settings in that extension which might be causing the conflict with 1Password.

Please let us know how it all goes and if it helps, thanks!

• AB
    AB
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Really appreciate your help getting this straightened out. I uninstalled uBlock and installed Adblock Plus 1.8.11 and the issue is resolved. I am able to use 1Password's open and fill as expected! Thank you for staying with me on this!

Regards,
    AB

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @AB! Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad the Adblock Plus and 1Password extensions are working well together for you! :) If you need anything else, just let us know.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Following this lead, I went to get AdBlock Plus for Chrome. I ended up with what was billed as version 3.3, which still interferes with autofill and submit by 1Password. I returned to the extension site for Chrome and just searched again and scanned the entire list. This time I got version 1.8.11, and 1Passwrod began to behave again when it is enabled.

I only mention this because version 3.3 appears to be a later version of the same filter, but it doesn't let 1Password work. I did note that it is version 1.8.11 that I have installed in Safari, my usual browser. Maybe this report will help someone else. Both of these have identical icons, but only one says its from adblockplus.org, You want the latter.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

We've had some enlightening information here, thank you everybody :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.