Moving logins from 1Password5 Free version to 1Password paid version???

Options
jarijari
jarijari
Community Member

I had the free version but purchased the paid version which, strangely, is called 1Password, whereas the free one was 1Password5. I had both installed but accidentally added all my logins into 1Password5, thinking that this was the paid version. I wanted to sync my logins into iCloud so that I can share them on my iPhone, but noticed the version difference. Is there a way to transfer my logins from one to the other? I have 86 logins.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The "free" version is a 30 day trial version, which only comes from the AgileBits web store and is named 1Password 5. You apparently purchased a registered version from the Mac App Store; that version is named 1Password. I would have expected the Mac App Store version to find your passwords from the trial version automatically, if when you ran it, you answered the first question about whether you have used it before.

Nonetheless, here is a guide for Migrating to the Mac App Store version. Let us know how that goes and post back if you have more questions.

• jarijari
    jarijari
    Community Member
    Options

hi hawkmoth,
    ok I got the versions the wrong way around. I have 86 logins on the 1password5. I thought that after having installed both that this was the App Store version since it has the license key info on the menu bar saying 'thanks for your support'. The instructions in your link deal with a scenario where I start with installation of the app store version. Unfortunately, I have two installations with 86 logins in the 'wrong' version. Please advise how I can transfer these over from 1Password 5 to 1Password without losing my information.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but your response confuses me. You say you want to keep the application from the Mac App Store. That's the one that is named 1Password. The instructions I linked you to give instructions to to move from the AgileBits web store version (1Password 5) to that one.

The Mac App Store version does not use a license file. Your license for the Mac App Store version is controlled by Apple and is tied to the Apple ID you used to buy it. If you want the AgileBits version, that does require the installation of a license file.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jarijari,

Sorry for any confusion about the web store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password! From your description, it sounds like you originally downloaded the free trial of 1Password 5 for Mac from our download site (i.e. the "web store version" or "Agile Web Store version"). That is the one named 1Password 5.app on your Mac. If you open that copy of 1Password and go to 1Password 5 > About 1Password in the menu bar, it should show "Agile Web Store".

If you purchased 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store, that's the one named 1Password.app in the Applications folder. If you open that one and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar, it should show "Mac App Store".

The instructions from hawkmoth's link are for migrating from the web store version to the Mac App Store version, which is what you're trying to do. Actually, the migration of data should be very simple - the Mac App Store version should automatically find your data from the web store version. If you open the Mac App Store version now (i.e. 1Password.app), do you see your data there? If not, what do you see?

• jarijari
    jarijari
    Community Member
    Options

I finally figured out what to do. For your information, if anyone else asks how to do it: simply export the logins from the old version into a file and then import that file into the webstore version. This allowed me to delete the freebie version. Simple!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jarijari,

I'm glad to hear you've managed to resolve this.

There may still be some confusion here though. The application titled 1Password 5 isn't free, it merely has a trial mode but if you purchase a licence from us that can be applied to that copy to stop the trial timer. The application titled 1Password is when you purchase it from Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). Due to sandboxing in the MAS version the two keep their files in different locations. If there is confusion it is possible for a user to end up with unique items in both because of these different support file locations.

If you have any follow up questions do please ask :smile:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

By the way, if you export and then import, the exported file is not encrypted. So you need to be sure to delete it after the import, and if possible to empty the trash securely.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the reminder @danco! :)

• jarijari
    jarijari
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables. Your explanation makes sense and explains my experience! Thanks @danco, I did just that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad we could help @jarijari :smile:

This discussion has been closed.