Inconsistent display of fields in mobile version

m_w
m_w
Community Member
Hi - I have a few questions about some inconsistencies between the mobile and desktop version.

1. empty fields
    Why are empty fields displayed in the mobile version whilst they are not displayed in the desktop version (unless you go into edit mode)?

Given that the mobile version is limited by the much smaller display size on the device (I'm using an iPod touch) it doesn't make sense to show these empty fields. And when a password field is empty it still shows ******** (I noticed this in a login record).

2. All Fields section
    Why is this section showing almost at the top in the mobile version when in the desktop version it is the last section?

For some logins, this section can contain a great many fields but all you're really interested is the username and password, i.e. the data from the "Login Information" section.

3. view masked fields
    I find it quite cumbersome to view masked field values in the mobile version.

Why do I have to go into edit to view the unmasked value? And even then I still have to tab the value before if shows the unmasked value.
    BTW, the desktop version also requires you to click on the value before it shows the unmasked value if you have the option "Conceal Passwords" enabled. Not sure why we need to protect these fields in edit mode on any device.
    Whilst I don't see this too much of an issue for login records as here you usually just visit the webpage and let 1Password fill in the details or you copy/paste the values, if needed, it is far more important for wallet items to show, for example, the pin of a credit card without having to go into edit mode and then tab the pin field.

Consider this scenario:
    Standing at the till, you realise you just entered a wrong PIN and you better look it up to avoid locking your card.
    You have to
    • switch on your iPod
    • enter your passcode
    • tap 1Password
    • enter your unlock code
    • tap the wallet icon
    • scroll to record
    • tap record
    • scroll down to see the PIN before you realise it's masked
    • tap the Edit button
    • finally, after tapping the PIN field you see the value

Anything to make this list shorter, even by a couple of steps (see also next point) will be appreciated.

4. PIN field
    Why is the PIN field so far down?

It would be better to show the PIN fields together with the card number, CVV, etc. as this is all the info you need when you make a payment. Would be less of an issue if point 1 (empty fields) would be corrected, but still I would group it with the other card details even in the desktop app.

Comments

• Hi, Michael. You've brought up some good points, and I'll address them one by one.

1) You are correct that displaying empty fields is unnecessary and inconsistent. We've filed an issue on this already. Regarding the password masking, it's shown masked whether or not there's a value so that someone can't just see that you don't have a password saved for whatever you're viewing. This is consistent with the desktop version.

2) All Fields is shown at the top so that you can easily copy and paste any information that you need to access. The Username and Password designations just show you which field is assigned to which function. I'll make a note of this though.

3) To view a masked field, all you have to do is tap and hold, and a box will pop up, asking if you want to reveal the password or copy it. Just tap reveal, and you're good to go.

4) I'm not sure about this one. I'll make a note of it.

Thanks for the great feedback!
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Thanks for your patience with me, Rob :)

RobYoder wrote:

1) Regarding the password masking, it's shown masked whether or not there's a value so that someone can't just see that you don't have a password saved for whatever you're viewing. This is consistent with the desktop version.

Whilst this is indeed consistent with the desktop version I would still question why it is necessary to mask empty fields. If a record does not require any password then the data associated with it cannot be very important or sensitive - otherwise why would you store it in a place that has no password.
    But then we could also have the scenario where we have a record that does need a password but for some reason you have not filled in the password yet. In this case, masking the password field may make you think that you have already setup a password. But by showing it as blank you would see that it's still missing.

RobYoder wrote:

2) All Fields is shown at the top so that you can easily copy and paste any information that you need to access. The Username and Password designations just show you which field is assigned to which function. I'll make a note of this though.

Sometimes, I copy/paste details from 1Password to a website but this is usually only done when I change personal or security details for a login. And I would do this only on my desktop where I can have browser and 1Password windows side-by-side. I'm not likely to do this on my iPod. On my iPod I would use the autofill from 1Password and therefore the "All Fields" section doesn't need to be up front.

RobYoder wrote:

3) To view a masked field, all you have to do is tap and hold, and a box will pop up, asking if you want to reveal the password or copy it. Just tap reveal, and you're good to go.

I tried but this doesn't work for me. When I tap it and hold I can only see a "Copy" button popping up.
  • m w wrote:

Whilst this is indeed consistent with the desktop version I would still question why it is necessary to mask empty fields. If a record does not require any password then the data associated with it cannot be very important or sensitive - otherwise why would you store it in a place that has no password.
    But then we could also have the scenario where we have a record that does need a password but for some reason you have not filled in the password yet. In this case, masking the password field may make you think that you have already setup a password. But by showing it as blank you would see that it's still missing.

That's an interesting thought, but I think there was a reason they did it that way. I believe it used to be how you are describing, iirc.

m w wrote:

Sometimes, I copy/paste details from 1Password to a website but this is usually only done when I change personal or security details for a login. And I would do this only on my desktop where I can have browser and 1Password windows side-by-side. I'm not likely to do this on my iPod. On my iPod I would use the autofill from 1Password and therefore the "All Fields" section doesn't need to be up front.

The most common use cases for copy and paste are 1) for people who need/want to use Mobile Safari and not 1Password's built-in browser and 2) for native apps that require a login (such as Facebook, Twitter apps, Chase Mobile, Bank of America, etc.)

m w wrote:

I tried but this doesn't work for me. When I tap it and hold I can only see a "Copy" button popping up.

What version of 1Password are you using on your device? I'm using a beta version of 1Password Pro, and my passwords aren't even concealed. This has already been reported (passwords not concealed), but I thought it was in the last stable release, too.

Anyway, I can't test my statement right now because my passwords aren't being hidden to begin with. On the iPad, however, where my passwords are hidden, if I tap and hold, I get both options, Copy or Reveal.
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    I'm using version 3.5.4 which should be the latest, isn't it?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2011
    m w wrote:

Yes 3.5.4 is the latest version available for download from the iTunes App Store.Unless one Has been submitted for review. ;)
  • m w wrote:

Yes, that's the latest official release. Try creating a new login with a fake username and password in 1Password on your iPhone or iPod touch (not iPad). Save it and then go back and view it again. Is the password concealed?
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    RobYoder wrote:

Yes, that's the latest official release. Try creating a new login with a fake username and password in 1Password on your iPhone or iPod touch (not iPad). Save it and then go back and view it again. Is the password concealed?

Ok Rob - I did that and realised when I view the record the password is masked by bullets. When I tap the password in the "All Fields" section I just get the copy button, when I tap the password in the "Login Information" section, it open a new page showing the password in clear text except for the end if it exceeds the width the window. To see that I have to go into edit mode.

Cheers
    Michael
  • Strange. OK, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.