Dropbox process is not running pop up message

I am trying to set up the backup to my Dropbox. Dropbox has been running on my Mac with no issues, but this message as above with "Please make sure Dropbox is installed and running" makes no sense as it is running. The tutorials explain how its supposed to be set up if you create a new account and does not warn of any errors. Ive checked the forums, created a 1password file in Dropbox, moved the 1Password.agilekeychain file into it and tried to activate, but it failed showing Problem loading 1 password data file. WHY, if there are obviously so many problems with the 1Password/Dropbox setup, can the process not be made more user friendly. Could somebody please help with some simple instructions on how to set up this process.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Swengie12,

I'm sorry you're having trouble setting up Dropbox sync! To help figure out what's going on, can you please give us a few more details:

• What exact version of 1Password do you have installed? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password.)
    • What version of OS X is running on your Mac?
    • You said you're "trying to set up the backup to my Dropbox." Do you mean you're trying to sync with Dropbox, or that you're trying to change the location where 1Password creates backup files?
    • If you're trying to sync with Dropbox, was that previously working or is this the first time you've tried to set it up?
    • If you move another file on your Mac to your Dropbox folder, then open a web browser and sign into dropbox.com, does the new file show up there?

Thanks!

• Swengie12
    Swengie12
    Community Member

Hi Drew

• Ive been using 1Password successfully on my old and new iMac for the last 2 years and Im guessing the backup was going to my hd as I can't remember setting it up. However I now want to use my account/vault on my new iPad too. I looked up all the info, installed 1Pw from the app store and it seems, that the pro is included as it is not requesting me to pay. So of the three steps to sync, I was unable to find the required buttons in my iCloud, local wifi wouldn't show up on my iPad in the 1pw app, so I was left with dropbox, which was never set up with 1pw, but has been active on my iMac for some time. I carefully followed the instructions in this forum, but it was unclear what file I had to take from where, so I assumed it was the agilekeychain file on my hd. I created a folder in db and successfully moved the keychain file into folder. On clicking the file, it opened 1pw anywhere and I entered the info to access the app. However the next step of going into the app preferences was not possible so I exited the app to find out how I could change the preferences as required. Without any success I then tried going back into the 1pwanywhere app, just to get the message "Problem loading 1 Password data file, for which the help guide is of little use. I spent a whole evening of 4 hours trying to do what should be a simple function and keep coming up with problems. Ive never had problems moving files into my db from my mac. The forum lists numerous people that are experiencing sync problems, so I know Im not alone.

I read the tutorials, forum solutions and any other help guides and am having no success.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Swengie12,

Thanks for the information! Since you're using 1Password 3 for Mac, I've moved this thread to our 1Password 3 for Mac forums.

Im guessing the backup was going to my hd as I can't remember setting it up.

By default, 1Password 3 for Mac automatically makes backups on your Mac, so you wouldn't have needed to set that up. But "backup" and "sync" are two very different features in 1Password, which is why I asked about that. It sounds like you're just having trouble syncing 1Password with Dropbox, so we won't need to worry about the backups.

So of the three steps to sync, I was unable to find the required buttons in my iCloud, local wifi wouldn't show up on my iPad in the 1pw app, so I was left with dropbox, which was never set up with 1pw, but has been active on my iMac for some time.

1Password 3 for Mac is an older version which doesn't support iCloud sync (we first added that in version 4). Also, the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 3 for Mac is not compatible with Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 5 for iOS. So you're correct, you'll need to use Dropbox sync between those two versions. Sorry for any confusion about that!

I created a folder in db and successfully moved the keychain file into folder.

Normally, to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password 3 for Mac, you would simply go to Preferences > General in the main 1Password 3 app, and click the Move to Dropbox. It sounds like you manually moved your .agilekeychain to your Dropbox folder, which is fine. You should be able to double-click the .agilekeychain file in Dropbox to have 1Password 3 prompt you to start reading from there, but it sounds like you may have had some trouble doing that.

On clicking the file, it opened 1pw anywhere and I entered the info to access the app. However the next step of going into the app preferences was not possible so I exited the app to find out how I could change the preferences as required. Without any success I then tried going back into the 1pwanywhere app, just to get the message "Problem loading 1 Password data file, for which the help guide is of little use.

1PasswordAnywhere is just a way to view your 1Password data from your dropbox.com account in a web browser. Double-clicking on your .agilekeychain file shouldn't try to open 1PasswordAnywhere, unless you had viewed the contents of the 1Password.agilekeychain bundle and opened the 1Password.html from inside. You don't need to use 1PasswordAnywhere to set up Dropbox sync though, so it shouldn't be something to worry about. Instead, please follow these steps:

• In the Finder, navigate to your Dropbox folder and find the 1Password.agilekeychain file.
    • Double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain file, and 1Password 3 should ask if you want to start using that data file (choose Yes).
    • If 1Password 3 does not ask if you want to start using that data file, drag the 1Password.agilekeychain file to the 1Password 3 application.

If that works, you should now be syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox. If so, you should also be able to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password 5 on your iPad in order to sync with that keychain. If you have trouble with any of that, please let us know where you get stuck, and we'll take it from there.

This discussion has been closed.