1Password missing 'buttons' in Preferences - can't sync.

Hi, new here and 3 yr-very basic user of 1PW.

I have an up to date 1PW on my iMac. Looking in to 'copying' the entries to a mobile phone.
Installed the 1PW through the apple store - vault does not contain any entries.

Decided to see if I could copy the records from iMac to iOS phone using WiFi sync.
Looked through the help topics on the website and the screenshot there shows 3 buttons I seem to be missing in my 1PW application on iMac.
I don't have

• Watchtower
  • Sync
  • WiFI Server

I dont trust the cloud so I thought I would be able to use wifi sync to copy over the records to my mobphone 1PW but alas.

What needs to be done to make this happen? What steps am I missing?
Your efforts appreciated.

Comments

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

version 3.8.22

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@AMG as you say you're using 1P3 I've moved your post to the 1P3 forum where you'll get more help.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMG,

To best help you we need to know about the versions involved. Specifically we're looking for the version of OS X you're running and the version of 1Password for Mac on your iMac and the version of iOS and 1Password for iOS on your iPhone.

Once we know these details we'll be in a much better place to assist.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

@Stephen_C sorry wasn't even aware there a several subforums, I just saw pw for mac

@littlebobbytables
    I think I've found part of the reason why. I just downloaded PW5 and the sync buttons now show up. I suspect I now need to get the paid version of 1PW from the google playstore to make it happen? Currently running the trial version on mobphone.
    MAC OS: 10.10.2 Yosemite
    imac 1PW just upgraded to PW 5.version 5.1
    mob phone android 4.2.1
    1PW - trial version 4.1.6

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Sorry for the confusion I initially mentioned iOS for the phone but its an android one not a iphone. 2. the PW5 is paid, the PW on mobphone is trial.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Hmm, the penny drops - sync thru wifi is only possible if mob phone is iphone - dang!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMG,

Okay, I think we understand much better now :smile:

So you're correct, the Android version runs as a trial and requires an in-app purchase if you decide you like it. Yes, it is confusing but it's all because each store has its own rules, the Google Play Store allows a trial while Apple's iTunes doesn't.

Now 1Password for Android currently has two sync methods available. You can use either Dropbox or Folder Sync with a MicroSD card if your Android phone supports this. At the moment though Wi-Fi Sync isn't supported here.

Given you want to sync with an Android phone the MAS version of our Mac application won't really hold any benefit for you. The one real feature difference is the MAS version can use iCloud sync while our Agile Web Store (AWS) version can't due to Apple restrictions. There is a benefit though if you do decide to purchase our AWS version through our store. As a previous 1Password 3 user you can use your current licence key to obtain a discount on 1Password 5 should you decide to purchase it.

Does that help at all? If you have any more questions please do ask.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables still confused a little -strike that- a lot with this stuff. First I assumed that 1PW3 was latest version as when I asked the system to show updates it said all is fine. I would have expected something along the lines of 'there is a newer version you may purchase'

I hardly use mobile phones and don't 'understand' them either - that statement shows my age.

Back to your reply though. I still don't trust sending confidential data through clouds (dropbox etc). I was hoping to just copy the data file (vault) from imac to mobphone but alas. The mobphone has a SD card but I'm still confused as to how I would apply your Foldersync with SD card. Would you mind explaining a bit further.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Read the link but it doesn't explain sd card ONLY dropbox. Do I need a paid version of PW for mob phone or would the trial version suffice (for 30 days)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMG,

Due to having to test a lot of different scenarios I know that 1Password 3 will inform you of the existence of 1Password 4 but that may very well be a one time thing. So it may have mentioned it some time ago and then never really bothered you again. Certainly you're correct, if you ask 1Password to check for updates. I don't know if that's to stop it irritating users that didn't want to upgrade (or couldn't) with being reminded about 1Password 4 or if maybe it's a technical issue where they're checking different locations.

Anyway, that aside, lets see if we can cover your Android device in a little more detail.

The link in my previous post will explain the Android side in better detail than I can - I don't have an Android phone in my arsenal of gadgets. Essentially though what Folder Sync does is it uses the exact same Sync data as we use in Dropbox but it would be saved to the SD Card. You would set up both devices to sync to the SD card and then swap the card backwards and forwards on a regular basis.

I can speak for the Mac side a little better. If you set up Folder Sync (Mac) with the SD card it will understand this is a removable device and it won't bother you when the card isn't present. When you connect it up to the Mac and 1Password is open it should realise and then perform all the updates needed. This will include reading all the changes made by your Android device and then writing all the changes it has made since the last sync back to the SD card. Connect the card back to your phone and the same should happen there too.

It's a little like Dropbox but you physically have to keep swapping the card backwards and forwards every so often so both copies of 1Password have the same information. Normally though the SD card would remain connected to your phone. Now if you don't change your vault very often at all this only has to be done that often. In a way it's like manually overwriting one copy of a file with another but 1Password is a little smarter about it.

Now I have linked you to the Mac page on Folder Sync and I just want to say one thing about that page. It includes a lot of warnings regarding syncing but they're all to do with syncing with a networked location. If you are moving a single SD card backwards and forwards none of that applies. All you need to do is make sure the .agilekeychain is on your SD card and 1Password will know it's a removable drive and treat it accordingly.

That's a relatively high-level review I'd say. If you take a peek at the Android and Mac Sync pages, you'll get a feel for what to expect and if you have questions please do ask.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables what a nightmare this is turning out to be.

Put the SD card in a card reader connected to imac
    on imac PW preferences to select the folder it needed to sync to and it already showed a folder, not the right one, to sync to.
    Took me a while to figure out how to change that. (switch to dropbox and back to folder fixed it)

Finally managed to get the vault on the phone SD card.
    Several phone restarts and uninstall reinstall PW on phone and I think I'm there.
    Opened PW on the phone, continue,continue, continue, yes Ive used PW before, install from SDcard YES!!!, syncing......
    sync completed no downloads found

This just confirms my belief that all these apps are a PITA. I think I will just manually create the entries I really need in a Post It or something similar.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Sorry for bitching so much, its not directed at you as you've really tried to help me out. I understand the principle but just can't get it to work. Where are the days that you could just copy a file to a different drive and then file open it on another device.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

hmm, spending even more money to get a paid version of PW on phone doesn't 'fix' it either. Not happy to waste money.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMG,

I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble trying to get Folder Sync working here.

Given you've gotten this far and managed to traverse the guides for setting up syncing I think it's time to request a couple of diagnostic reports. You've done the bit you need to so it's likely the devil is in the details as they say.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices. I don't know if it will make a difference or not but just to be extra safe, if you could create the diagnostic reports with the SD card present in both cases, so create the Android diagnostic with the SD card in the phone and then take the SD card out and attach it to the Mac before creating that diagnostic report.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/send-diagnostic-report/mac.html

—Android—
    https://support.1password.com/send-diagnostic-report/android.html

Then attach the entire files to an email to us: support+ forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

argh, trying to send the phone attachment file to myself so I can combine the reports in to one email. Both phone email applications refuse to send attachments. the diagnostic file for the imac was easy. The phone email to imac does arrive, sans attachment. What a mess this is turning out to be.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

FInally, seems I now have 2 attachments.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables thx for hanging in there, getting the android attachment sent was testing my patience, gmail blocked my account, still figuring out why, then when I tried to see if I could send an ordinary email to myself with attachment the phone seemed to have removed all photos but they're all there. Ugh, friday the 13th live up to its reputation. In the mean time a case has been opened, well at least I have a case #. :+1:

• Hi @AMG. :) I just responded to your support request via email.

Please try following the instructions I sent, and let us know how it goes!

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

@peri read your explanation and it seems very straightforward to do were it not that when I connect the phone via USB cable to iMac nothing shows up as an external device in the finder. Been at it for 3 hours now, restarting all devices, using different USB ports but no success so far. I must be cursed using any mobile device be it an iPad which I thankfully no longer have to a smartphone I bought for the 1st time 6 months ago. I'm jinxed.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

When phone plugged in to iMac I get a msg 'Connected as USBstorage' on the phone. iMac Settings system info shows a USB connection too but finder does not display an 'external' device. Scoured google to find a solution but they mention using the command line, something Im not comfortable with.

When phone is plugged in WITH SD card the SD card shows up in the Finder. I removed it to make absolutely sure that IF I can get this to work it stores the vault on the internal memo of the phone and not the SD card.

Also googled how to transfer file from SD->phone but all they explain is phone ->SD.
    Thought I'd try sending the vault thru email which works but the vault is not recognised by phone PW. By now I could have manually created all the passwords in the phone vault. So frustrated atm.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member

Finally success. On phone changed to connect as Media Device. A sort of Android finder showed up on the iMac. Dragged the vault from Finder window to Android 'finder' and it copied the vault. next went in to phone PW and the setup steps. Lo and behold the entries show up on the phone. Cant believe a simple copy paste to another device can be so incredibly difficult to achieve. @littlebobbytables and @peri thanks for your assistance. Feel free to close the ticket. Now wondering whether I should change my avatar to a :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AMG,

I'm sorry it's been such a saga to get this far. I was chatting to Peri after she responded to your first email and I think I developed a headache just listening to all the hoops you have to jump through. It seems we need to improve here given we can't rely on Android and Mac to play nice or indeed the fact that Android doesn't always treat an SD card the same over different versions of Android or possibly phones. Let's face it, phones have to be easy to use given their small size and ability to fly through the air should they annoy their owner enough.

• AMG
    AMG
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

@littlebobbytables tbh I don't really use a mobphone on a daily basis, perhaps 1x a week. Most of the time I'm charging it but on occasion I need it to enable money transfers and when I'm abroad and need access to a particular password. I think phones are where we were 30 yrs ago with computers. The whole process is simple but so many things can interfere and make you look all over the web to see what may may not help. They're also good in an emergency but other than that I have no use for one other than keeping up to date on what goes on nowadays. As you get older you find that you need to stay in touch with things even if you don't have a need for it. Before you know you'll have a chip in your finger to enable access to a building or to make a purchase etc and I can't afford to shut myself out.
    The world is moving very fast nowadays and the oldies (and I'm only 57) need to keep up regardless.
    Wrt make it fly - no problems there - except they're a tad expensive.

• Hi @AMG! I'm so glad to hear you were finally able to get your vault transferred onto the Android. :)

Like @littlebobbytables, I have to apologize for all the confusion and trouble this process has caused you. Indeed, we hope to create more uniformity in the future.

Please join us in Android if you have any further problems with that device, or if you want to keep up-to-date with improvements we make. Thanks so much for your time and effort! We really appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.