Question regarding licenses...

OTGGamer
OTGGamer
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm debating getting a MacBook and if I did, 1Password would be an absolute necessary day one install.

So I was wondering, if I currently have a Family License for 1Password 4 for Windows.

If I go to the agilebits website it says:

Great! Your license – a Family License for 1Password 4 for Windows – has 3 possible upgrades.

• If I select to upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac

Would that will allow me to upgrade just one of my installs to a Mac license or would that convert them all to Mac?

OR

• Would I need to purchase the 1Password Mac + Windows Bundle upgrade instead if I wanted to keep both Mac and PC?

And one final question...

The Mac version licensed direct from agilebits still lets you sync data across devices via Dropbox, just not iCloud sync, correct?

Comments

• Hi @OTGamer,

If I select to upgrade to 1Password 5 for Mac,
    Would that will allow me to upgrade just one of my installs to a Mac license or would that convert them all to Mac?

We do not keep track of your installs, we only care about how many users will be using 1Password. However, we've stopped selling family licenses and now allow single user licenses to be used as family licenses at no extra cost.

If you get the 1Password 5 for Mac license, you can use it on any number of Macs you own and share it with up to 6 family members in the same household. You already have the Windows license, so you only need to purchase the Mac license to cover both PCs and Macs.

The Mac version licensed direct from agilebits still lets you sync data across devices via Dropbox, just not iCloud sync, correct?

Correct, iCloud Sync is only in the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Dropbox, Folder Sync, and Wi-Fi sync are supported in the website version of 1Password for Mac.

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

So just to be clear, if I choose the Mac option under upgrades I'll be able to use my license on the PC and Mac. Correct?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Yes. Upgrade to Mac gives you 1 Windows licence (your existing one) and 1 Mac licence (a new one). If you upgrade to the bundle then you end up with 2 Windows licences and 1 Mac licence.
    There is no option to swap your licence, although if you email support+licenses@agilebits.com I think they will oblige.

• Hi @OTGGamer,

Yes, you can still use your existing Windows license, it will not be affected in any ways. While it does say Upgrades, in this case, it is more of a discounted purchase of a separate license.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@MikeT Which is why I think that store page needs to be change for clarity's sake. This question comes up all the time.

• Hi @RichardPayne,

We're trying to, we have changed it several times over the years and we've just recently killed the family license, so we are trying to simplify everything. We're also working on this: https://support.1password.com/license-requirements/ and a few other things for the near future that might make this better.

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

Thanks for the responses.
    It was a bit of a bummer that I couldn't just convert one of my (now) extra 'family licenses' for free (esp since I just bought the family license 6 months ago).
    Just went ahead and bought the Mac key that I needed.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

As I said earlier:

There is no option to swap your licence, although if you email support+licenses@agilebits.com I think they will oblige.

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

Richard I contacted them and since I wanted to have access on both Windows and Mac, they said I'd have to buy a Mac license.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

My apologies. I missed that you wanted to keep Mac access.
    When you bought the Mac licence, I assume you got the discount by using the Upgrade option on your Windows licence?

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

Yeah, I was able to get the Mac one at a discount.
    It's just a bummer that only about 6 months after purchasing the more expensive 'Family' license it switches to a single license is all you need model, and I can't 'trade in' one of those (now) extra licenses I own for a Mac one for a single device in my home.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

oh, I see. Yeah, that is a bit unfortunate. :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OTGGamer,

As you can see this is my first post in this thread. I'm trying to catch up and bring everything together from our ticketing system, our back office and here when I came across something I couldn't quite figure out. Do you happen to still have the original receipt from us for your family licence?

Now obviously we don't want you posting that to the forums, it contains personal information and these forums are public. So if you're able and happy to could you forward that email to us at support+forum@agilebits.com and make it for the attention of myself, littlebobbytables.

Thank you for that :smile:

• OTGGamer
    OTGGamer
    Community Member

@littleboytables No worries, I'll try find/send you over that info tonight. If I have to pay that's really fine, I'm not looking for any special treatment.
    In fact, I already purchased a new single Mac license.

I was just surprised that there wasn't any sort of one-time offer extended to 'Family' license pack owners to get one free additional license once you made the decision to switch to this new single license model. Especially to those who may have activated a new Family license within a period of 6 months or less before the switchover to the single license model (not sure exactly when the switch happened).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@OTGGamer: I hear you! It's no good paying for the same thing twice. Once you send that over we can take a look and get this sorted out for you, so that -- in the end -- you only pay for the licenses you actually need. :)

This discussion has been closed.