Password generator not like Mac version [We do plan to improve this in a future update]

Options
ssdeg7
ssdeg7
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

Hi, I just wanted to know why the Mac version of 1Password has better password creation parameters than the iOS version, for example the Mac version can create passwords with "-" separators while the iOS version cannot. Both versions should have a unified experience to create random custom passwords.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ssdeg7,

I agree, it shouldn't be different from any other platforms. We removed some of the code due to problems in the previous app version but we haven't re-implemented it yet. We do plan to update the iOS's generator to be on par with the Mac app's settings and eventually, more than that.

• ssdeg7
    ssdeg7
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @MikeT I'm glad you're planning on re-implementing it, currently I only create passwords on my Mac because of it :)

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ssdeg7,

You're welcome! We'll get that in as soon as possible, so you don't need to do it anymore from the Mac. :P

• ssdeg7
    ssdeg7
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT is there any ETA on this feature?

• Hi @ssdeg7,

Nothing yet, it's still an open bug in our tracker, and we do understand this needs to be fixed sooner.

• ssdeg7
    ssdeg7
    Community Member
    Options

PLEEEEEEEEEEASE bring us this feature, i'm tired of having to create passwords on my Mac. I don't know if it's too hard to do but you've done through the past six months a lot of powerful features that I think require more work than this! :D

I'm sorry to bug you but 1Password is my 1App for creating passwords and I use my iPad more than my Mac!

• Hi @ssdeg7,

I understand and we have received a lot of requests to do this sooner but we cannot promise anything or release any timeframe. We do want to overhaul our generators on all platforms, we're still missing our diceware generator on both Mac and iOS platforms when we've added it to Windows several months ago.

• detjo
    detjo
    Community Member
    Options

Additionally, there should be an option to have password generation start with a letter, as required by some sites

• ssdeg7
    ssdeg7
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @detjo and @ssdeg7 ,

Thanks for the suggestion! From a security standpoint, we sure wish that companies would stop putting restrictions on passwords, as it invariably ends up reducing the potential randomness of the password, and thus it's strength ... but I'll let our developers know that this would be a handy option for you.

For now, please note that it is possible to edit generated passwords after they've been created, so you can always add a letter here or a number there to fit those tricky site restrictions. :)

This discussion has been closed.