1Password won't open...

Options

...but the IE/Chrome extensions still work. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. When I click on the program icon nothing happens; no error message, no disk spinning icon nothing.

Please help.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you're having that problem, @Patriot.

Have you tried all the tips in the Troubleshooting > The browser extensions article in the 1Password 4 for Windows knowledgebase?

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

The problem isn't with the browser extension, since I can use the tool from both IE and Chrome. The problem is the desktop client not opening

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry, @Patriot—that was as plain as the nose on my face. :blush:

I ask that you download and run the installer again.

Please let us know whether that helps.

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried that but the desktop applications till won't open. Does the install leave some hidden files/configs that I can manually remove?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not that I know of, @Patriot.

Do you have any antivirus, anti-malware, or similar software on your computer? If so, could you try disabling it, to see whether that solves the problem?

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

I have McAfee installed but I can't disable this as it's a corporate desktop. All the other functions of the app are unaffected though so I can't imagine it's the AV software.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@Patriot

All the other functions of the app are unaffected though so I can't imagine it's the AV software.

What other functions are you referring to if you can't open the app? If you mean the browser extensions, these are handled by a completely different process (Agile1pAgent.exe) which I assume is executing properly.

Incidentally, AV software could be the problem, although if it were preventing 1Password from executing then I would expect it to display a warning to the user.

You could try running 1Password.exe from a Command prompt window. It might give you an error that is being hidden when launched from the gui.

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

I tried running from CMD with the same result: nothing happens. Not sure why it's being blocked. I did uninstall drop box, could that be an issue?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

If the last vault that 1Password used was stored there, then possibly.

Did the Dropbox uninstallation routine remove your Dropbox folder and its downloaded data?

If so, open up regedit and navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AgileBits\1Password 4. Look in the right hand side for the Location value. Is it pointing to where your Dropbox folder used to be?

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

Regedit settings look good. I can use the app in IE and Chrome just the desktop app won't open and doesn't give any errors

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

So, your 1password vault (the .agilekeychain folder) is stored in your local Dropbox folder hierarchy, but Dropbox is no longer installed? :/

As for the main program not launching, you man need to work with your IT department to disable the antivirus program long enough to see whether that solves the problem.

If it does, there must be a way to "whitelist" or "except" 1Password.exe (as well as Agile1pAgent.exe) in McAfee, so it knows not to block execution.

Please let us know how it goes.

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options

I've uninstalled the McAfee AV and still can't open the program

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Patriot,

Let's take a step back for a minute. Can you tell me the following:

1. What's the Windows version you're using and the 1Password version (that you've tried to install)
    2. When you try to reinstall 1Password, did the installer complete at the end without any errors?
    3. Open the 1Password application again but this time, open your Task Manager and see if 1Password process is on the list.
    4. Is the 1Password application the only .exe file you can't open? Can you open a different third-party application (not owned by Microsoft) without any issues?
  • Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. Windows 7 Pro SP1 64Bit
    2. Installed with no errors
    3. I don't see anything in Task Manager
    4. Yes, I have multiple apps installed without issue
  • MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @Patriot,

When you tried to run the application from the Command Prompt, from which directory did you try to open the application from?

Can you try double-clicking on 1Password.exe in your Program Files (x86) > 1Password 4 folder, see what happens.

One more thing, see if you can get any logs from Windows' Event Viewer. To do this, click on Start, type event viewer to find it and open it. In Event Viewer, expand Windows Logs on the left sidebar to select Application and sort it by date. Go through the logs to see if you can find anything related to Agile or 1Password.

If you want, you can click on Find on the right sidebar to search for "agile".

• Patriot
    Patriot
    Community Member
    Options
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4
    • Nothing happens when executing from the command prompt or in the folder
    • There are no Agile logs in Event Viewer
  • MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @Patriot,

That's really strange because I haven't seen this before where absolutely nothing occurs. I know Windows 7 had some issues where all .exe files won't open due to the incorrectly configured default program settings but it would affect all programs, not just a single one.

Are you able to create a separate Windows account on your computer? If yes, can you do that and install 1Password 4 in there to see if it does anything differently.

This discussion has been closed.