Password has changed without me doing anything

My password has been working fine, now all of a sudden, I can't login to 1Password with it. The hint is still correct. This is driving me crazy and I can't bear the thought of creating a new vault. Any ideas? I'm syncing with Dropbox.

Comments

• @JimSmith64 - For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. If there were, that would be a security hole that could be exploited to gain access to your secure information.

We have some suggestions in this guide :

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows-kb/4/en/topic/forgotten-master-password-win

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• JimSmith64
    JimSmith64
    Community Member

Not yet. I tried using the restore backup in 1Password and it didn't work. I am running windows 8.1 with file recovery turned on. Looking in the C\Users\jim\Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain\data\default folder, can you tell me which older versions of the files to restore to get back to an earlier version.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @JimSmith64,

can you tell me which older versions of the files to restore to get back to an earlier version.

You already did that by restoring from an early backup, that's the best way to revert to an early version, you want to do this as a whole vault, not individual files.

Are you syncing your 1Password data with any devices or different computers, or is this the only PC with the 1Password data?

Were there any updates you've done before 1Password started saying it is the wrong password, maybe a recent 1Password or Windows update?

• JimSmith64
    JimSmith64
    Community Member

I'm syncing it with an iPhone and an iPad, no other PC's.

I don't remember any recent 1Password updates, but I don't pay much attention to them, just accept. The current version on my PC is 4.2.0.548.

Doesn't look like any Windows updates since 2/11 so that's not the problem.

• Hi @JimSmith64,

Are you able to unlock 1Password data with the same master password on your iOS devices? You didn't change the password or anything like that on the iOS devices?

• JimSmith64
    JimSmith64
    Community Member

Doesn't work on the iphone, but I just remembered that I hadn't looked at the ipad. I am able to use my PIN to open it there so am creating a copy of the info and will create a new vault.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @JimSmith64,

That's unusual, it is not possible to change your password without knowing the current password. Are you sharing your vault with anybody else or are you the only one with access to this vault?

This discussion has been closed.