CompleX Passwords that require only part of PIN & Password

manpreet
manpreet
Community Member

How does one password work with banks that require only part of PIN & Password i.e.
Page 1 - User ID - this can be saved as Part 1 of a login
Page 2 - enter 1st, 3rd & 4th Number from PIN, Enter 2nd 7th & 9th character of password.
Can 1Password cope with this?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Not automatically. I keep the password in a notes field arranged in groups of five so that I can easily see which are the 2nd, 7th, 9th characters.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015

Here's a perhaps more versatile trick you can use to help identify character positions.

Add to your notes a sequence 12345678901234..., for any entries that require such values from certain positions.

When you need to grab the character values, reveal the password or other item in 1Password, and use the left edge of some other window to help you find the character number.

Here is character #2:

and here is #7:

and finally, here is #14:

The nice feature here is that you never have to remember to update the values in Notes when the requirements change, and you don't export you hidden values in Notes.

1.jpg 29.7K
    2.jpg 25.6K
    3.jpg 33.9K
    4.jpg 37.2K
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi @manpreet,

We would like to handle such a system, we just haven't found a way of reliably doing so given the ways in which a webpage can be created.

As well as MrC's suggestion I've heard of two others.

@Penelope Pitstop suggested breaking the password up into blocks for ease of reading e.g.

gO@Hn 4E28* .'r_g O8G"X

and I'm sure I've seen another where it combined MrC's and Penelope Pitstop's as follows

1 6 11 16 gO@Hn 4E28* .'r_g O8G"X

Obviously these are all workarounds but the sites in question the tend to use these (I've only ever seen this on financial sites link banks) tend to be very hard to have access for testing and also manage to employ some of the oddest systems I've ever seen. I will add your vote to the request to see an improvement here though.

ref: OPM-1720

• Mac_Fleetwood
    Mac_Fleetwood
    Community Member

I understand the difficulty in populating only certain password or PIN characters automatically, but would it be possible to create fields where the user specifies a list of character positions, say 11 6 19, and 1Password returns the relevant characters for the user to enter manually?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Mac_Fleetwood ,

See this post.

• Mac_Fleetwood
    Mac_Fleetwood
    Community Member

Thanks MrC, that looks good.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Mac_Fleetwood, I'm glad you like that new feature! The "large type" option was added to a recent beta, so it should most likely be included in the next stable update.

If you need anything else, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.