Not logged in to forum until page reload

2»

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that update @Stephen_C‌! Really hoping this new node does the trick on a more permanent basis.

• Hi @Stephen_C,

Generally, it'd help to clear the slate when testing a new network like clearing caches and cookies to see how the site reacts.

Hopefully, everything is all good now. I used to be able to see this issue a few times daily but now, I haven't seen anything since the move.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

@MikeT,

Unfortunately it has started to happen again (in Safari, OS X 10.9.4), though not all the time.

Now, however, I realize that I am still still signed even if the current screen doesn't say that, so I just use the back arrow again or click Topics (not really sure of the exact sequence) until I come to a screen where it says I am signed in.

In other words, it has become just a minor annoyance instead of a major concern.

David

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hmm, let's keep track of the time and dates. They may be able to compare the activity logs to see if we're overloading.

@DavidB, safe to say August 15, 2014 at 10:20PM PST is the time it happened again?

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

@Mike T,

Yes--although if it makes a difference I think I would put it at 10:20 PST (actually PDT).

David

• Sure, I'll edit it. Thanks!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

@MikeT,

For what it's worth, it is happening again now (August 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM PDT).

David

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2014

12:33 pm Pacific Daylight Time. The problem persists on my iPhone, but I haven't seen it again since last week on my iPad.

Edit: I cleared cookies and data again on my iPhone, but that didn't change anything. 1:55 PDT.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Still no good from my iPhone at 8:00pm PDT.

• Thanks, guys. I'll pass it on to Vanilla to see what's going on.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

iPad continues to behave correctly, despite the continuing iPhone misbehavior. The iPhone clearly is displaying a mobile site with abbreviate web pages. The iPad shows thing almost just like on the desktop version of Safari. Is there a difference related to those different ways of serving up the pages?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

We have a mobile theme installed and when the server detects the smartphone or any mobile devices that's narrow, it switches to the mobile theme for you. The iPad generally loads the desktop version since it's wide enough.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@MikeT‌ - that much I get, but I was wondering if that version comes from a different node than the desktop version. If the new node has fixed the problem with serving logged out pages, maybe the mobile version isn't on the new node and therefore suffers still from the problem.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

I'll ask when they get back to me. I'm not sure that's how it works, the theme files would just be stored right next to the regular desktop theme, it wouldn't be stored on a separate server.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@MikeT, it would be theoretically possible to route incoming HTTP requests based on the client headers. Since the theme choice seems to be based off of a simple media query, it would be possible to serve different themes from different servers.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

It hardly matters to me whether the mobile pages work, since I almost never use them. Except of course when I'm checking to see if they work. Like now. ;) And it isn't working right still at 5:53 PDT.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Do you still want reports about this? Today I've been getting logged out pages again to my iPad. It's the first time I've seen this on my iPad in a couple of weeks.

• Hi guys,

@hawkmoth, hold off for now. The developers at Vanilla are still looking into it but no news from them just yet.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

This has recently has returned with a vengeance on my iPad, but not my Mac. It requires that I reload the page after almost any navigation back to a previous page. Only rarely does it remember that I'm logged in.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

This stopped after I updated iOS to 8.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks for the update! Let's hope that there will be no more vengeful returns any time soon ;)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

This has begun again for me on my iPad.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth, has there been any change in the last week, or does it continue to be a problem?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

It seems to have stopped. I haven't had trouble for the past week or so.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it, @hawkmoth! If the issue starts up again, please do let us know. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@Drew_AG - Today it's affecting the forum on Safari on my Mac.

• Hi @hawkmoth,

Maybe it is related to the load? Does the forum feel slower each time you saw this issue? If the forum is under an unusual load, the cache might get out of sync.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@MikeT - I'll have to watch for speed issues. To me, it's seemed random. I can always get back on I the logged in state if I refresh the page, regardless of platform. The problem comes and goes, and for quite awhile, it didn't raise its head. And for the last day or two, things have been fine.

This has to be a tough one to track down. And I'm happy to stop registering these reports if they don't contribute anything.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth: Indeed! Hopefully there will be fewer 'hiccups' going forward. I know I have some trouble getting search results from time to time, but usually a reload does the trick. Thanks again! :)

This discussion has been closed.