Can't edit Generated Passwords

khad wrote:

1Password does have a Generated Passwords vault which will store all of your passwords generated with the Strong Password Generator. If you name sensibly them when generating, you will have a handy reference list that you can transfer to the Accounts vault at your leisure. :-)

Hello,

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see no way to transfer (convert?) an entry from Generated Password to Accounts. I had to copy the password and create the Account separately.

Can I report what I think is a bug here? When EDITing a Generated password, the password is revealed. This not the case when EDITing other types of 1P data. Unless it is intended just as a backup in case I don't remember to save a proper login or Account, but then why is there a Notes field?

thanks,

chris

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for asking! I split this from the previous topic because I think it deserves full attention.

As stated in another thread on the subject, it is not possible at this time to change from vault (or item type) to another (e.g. Logins, Accounts, Software). Think of vaults as the library categories in iTunes (Music, Movies, Podcasts). Certain information is categorized differently depending on the content.

Now, the Generated Passwords section is a little different because, as you point out, you are not able to edit the items stored within it. It is indeed a "history" for all the passwords 1Password has created for you with the built-in Strong Password Generator. You cannot change their contents. You can only rename them, delete them, or make a note about them.

When editing a Generated Password item, we make the password immediately visible because (1) these passwords by their very nature are not easily shoulder-surfed, and (2) most folks fiddle with them because they need to know their password. :-)

I hope that helps. Please let me know!

Cheers!
  • I have this same question/confusion.

It would be great to be able to to turn a generated password into a saved login/password item. I can't think of a case where I want to generate and save a password for an account where there isn't also a username or email associated with it. What is the purpose of saving generated passwords if you can't turn them into a usable username/password entry?

Thanks much,
    Greg
  • Greg T wrote:

I have this same question/confusion.

It would be great to be able to to turn a generated password into a saved login/password item. I can't think of a case where I want to generate and save a password for an account where there isn't also a username or email associated with it. What is the purpose of saving generated passwords if you can't turn them into a usable username/password entry?

Thanks much,
    Greg

There are many cases where only a password is desired and no username is necessary, but in your case, the easiest thing to do would be to simply create a new Login item and use the "Generate" button to generate a new password as you create the item.

I hope that helps.
This discussion has been closed.