2 Version of 1Password on my iMac and broken synch

Options
AgileGraham
AgileGraham
Community Member

First time poster here...

I had the 5 license pack Agilebits webstore version of 1Password 5.1 installed on my iMac, and my Macbook and the latest iOS version on my iPhone and iPad (both running the latest version of iOS). I was using Wifi synch and life was good.

Then, I made the mistake of buying the Apple AppStore version to be able to use the iCloud synch. I installed the AppStore version exactly per the instruction on my iMac and set up iCloud synch. The initial synch worked, I ran a few tests, and, for a time, life was good.

Then, my wife logged onto our iMac with her account. She also tried to set up iCloud synch for her own vault but noticed that the Agilebits Apple Apple store version does not seem to elegantly support multiple user accounts on OS X because it would not let her also set up iCloud synch. It would only et her use my iCloud account. So, instead of using my vault, she left her synch in place using a dropbox account, presumably with the Apple AppStore version of 1Password (I should verify this assumption though!)

Now, when I log back in and try to use 1Password, I have both versions of the 1Password application on my iMac and new entries detected in Safari are going back to the Agilebits webstore version, not the AppStore version. The Agilebits webstore version has synch disabled. I cannnot seem to get the Safari plugin to point back to the Apple AppStore version and synch through iCloud.

My biggest worry is I do not want to corrupt my or my wife's vault trying to fix this. Can anybody please help!!!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AgileGraham,

So iCloud Syncing.

If you each have your own OS X user account then you can each use your own iCloud Drive space. The key part here though is you have to have your own OS X user accounts and then you have to each be logged into your own iCloud Drive account in System Preferences > iCloud. We can't alter this part and can only use the account that is logged in at the time. If both of you are logged into a single iCloud account that you share then you're correct, we can't handle this as Apple have designed it with a single person in mind.

Again, if you each have your own OS X user accounts I can reassure you that you can't do any damage to your wife's vault because from your account her profile shouldn't not be accessible at all. 1Password only looks in the current profile and doesn't go beyond a very small range of folders in there (specifically just the ones we've created).

What you could be in danger of doing though is making merging two vaults a bit messy if you have edits in both.

To better understand what we're dealing with lets take a look at both vaults.

1. Launch the MAS version, this is the one titled just 1Password.
    2. Sort the Item List by Date Modified, it's the text below the search box and defaults to items sorted by Title.
    3. Make a note of how many items in total in your vault and maybe take a screenshot using ⇧⌘3 to help a comparison. That screenshot will be saved to your Desktop.
    4. Quit 1Password using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q.
    5. Launch the AWS version, this is the one titled 1Password 5.
    6. Repeat steps 2-4.

With the two screenshots and the number of items in each vault you will hopefully be able to gain an idea of roughly how many items have been accidentally updated in the AWS version when really you want them in the MAS one.

If you can report back with how many changes we're looking at we can discuss the best route forward. If it's just one or two you might think that you're happy to manually copy them over right there and then.

The goal is make sure you have a copy of everything in your MAS vault and then simply delete the 1Password 5 application so you only run the 1Password application going forward.

You can't corrupt the two, but the longer you use both the MAS and AWS in conjunction the more likely you would have conflicts in the data that you would have to manually resolve. This solution though is resolvable with no loss of data and as I said earlier, you can't damage your wife's vault when you're logged into your user account.

Let us know and we can proceed forward.

• AgileGraham
    AgileGraham
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have 7 additional Logins in the AWS version of 1 Password (1Password). If these are lost, I can re-enter them. No worries there. I look forward to your further assistance.

• AgileGraham
    AgileGraham
    Community Member
    Options

BTW, I would like to ask some licensing questions, but not in a public forum. Can you please provide me with an email address to do so?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AgileGraham,

If you have license questions that you don't want to ask publicly, you can email us at this address: support+licenses@agilebits.com

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

• AgileGraham
    AgileGraham
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Drew_AG. I have emailed my licensing question in.

I also figured out that I had to uninstall the AWS 1Password5 Safari plug-in from both my user account and my wife's and reinstalled the MAS 1Password Safari plug-in again from each user account. Now we can both see the iCloud Synch option.

I would still like your help deleting each of our old AWS 1Password5 vaults (which appear to differ from the MAS 1Password vaults--right?). Just to keep this tidy...

Thanks,
    Graham

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @AgileGraham,

Thanks! I just found your email and replied to it. Hopefully it helps to answer your license questions.

ref: YIC-98643-182

I also figured out that I had to uninstall the AWS 1Password5 Safari plug-in from both my user account and my wife's and reinstalled the MAS 1Password Safari plug-in again from each user account.

Actually, the 1Password extension for Safari is the same regardless of whether you're using the AWS or MAS version of 1Password 5 for Mac. I suspect the problem you were having with the extension was related to having both the AWS and MAS versions installed on your Mac at the same time. If you've deleted the AWS version, the Safari extension should now be communicating with the MAS version.

I would still like your help deleting each of our old AWS 1Password5 vaults (which appear to differ from the MAS 1Password vaults--right?). Just to keep this tidy...

Deleting the AWS version of 1Password 5 will only delete the app itself, and not your data. You're correct that the AWS and MAS versions each store your data separately on your Mac. There's no harm in leaving the AWS data alone on your Mac, it won't cause any trouble there. But if you really want to delete the data from the web store version, you can delete the 1Password 4 folder located here:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/

(Note that “1Password 4” is the correct directory name even in 1Password 5.)

Hopefully you're all set, but we're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• AgileGraham
    AgileGraham
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Drew! That fixes everything for me!

• Jasper
    Options

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.