Can I "Upgrade" back to version 3?

Options

Can I remove 1Password v4 and install v3 in its place? I've really seen nothing in version 4 that makes me want to keep using it; there was a graphical refresh to the UI that's pretty nice, but the functional parts of the software are diminished. If I can safely remove it and install version 3, I would very much like to do so.

That said, here are some of the main issues I've run into with v4:

1.) Frequently after logging into a site with the Ctrl+\ shortcut keystroke, my Ctrl key becomes "locked" until I press it a couple of times (in the same way that Shift is "locked" when you toggle the CAPSLOCK on). This is evidenced by any links I click opening in a new tab until I "unlock" the Ctrl key.

2.) Many websites that used to auto-login when I press Ctrl+\ now instead bring up the 1Password context menu (e.g. the https://store.playstation.com login dialog). This leads to the very irritating issue #3...

3.) The login list in Chrome is not scrollable with the mouse wheel or a click-and-drag scrollbar; now the only way to get from A to Z is to click on the down button at the bottom and wait. And wait. And wait as it slowly scrolls through the entire list.

4.) Saved Logins can no longer be manually created and edited on the fly from within Chrome. I used to be able to create/rename/modify login settings easily in the browser plugin, but now I have to open up 1Password to make these edits.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you can remove v4 and install v1 (there is no v2 or v3 of 1Password on Windows). That said, bear in mind that the older software is not longer being developed and so will not keep up with new website building techniques nor with new security threats.

On point 3, you can either sort your logins into folders to aid navigation or you can simply open the menu and start typing to search. I do agree that mouse wheel scrolling would be nice but I think I'd still find it slower that the above methods.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can I remove 1Password v4 and install v3 in its place?

@MisterAlex Yes you can, but please remember the old version does not receive any (security) updates from us. That being said, you can download the old version here.

Frequently after logging into a site with the Ctrl+\ shortcut keystroke, my Ctrl key becomes "locked" until I press it a couple of times

@MisterAlex This doesn't sound right. Do you happen to have consistent, reproducible steps? I would love to reproduce and fix this problem for you.

Saved Logins can no longer be manually created

@MisterAlex Here's how to create a new Login manually:

1. Navigate to a Login page
    2. Enter your username and password, but do NOT submit the Login page
    3. Click on the 1Password button
    4. Unlock
    5. Click on: Settings > Save new Login
  • MisterAlex
    MisterAlex
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply.

Really, all I do is open Chrome, visit a site (e.g. twitter.com), and press the Ctrl+\ shortcut to bring up the 1Password unlock dialog. I type in my 1Password password and hit Enter, and it logs me into the site (sometimes resulting in a new tab already at this point). If I click on a hyperlink, it is opened in a new tab just as if I were Ctrl+clicking it or middle-clicking it. This persists until I press the Ctrl key again. It happens frequently enough that I can probably just Fraps it happening when I'm back at home this evening.

Thanks for the guidance for creating a new login in-browser. Is there also a way to modify an existing login's password or adjust its auto-submit setting? For most, I'd want to submit the login form automatically, but there is the odd login that includes an authenticator or similar for which I'd only want the form filled in.

Is there any chance either of the other issues will be addressed in a future update? Having to "manually" log in via the login list (#2) is a pretty huge deal-breaker on its own, so if that's not going to be remedied, I don't really want to waste time trying to make 1Password 4 work.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Number 2 simply means that 1Password couldn't match the url it got from the browser with the urls stored in your vault. Are you seeing it on certain logins repeatedly or on all logins intermittently?

• MisterAlex
    MisterAlex
    Community Member
    Options

It's consistent and on specific logins only. These worked fine prior to my upgrading to 1Password 4, but now they just bring up the 1Password context (right-click) menu as if it's an unfamiliar site. The PSN Store I linked above is one such example.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry @MisterAlex, I forgot you mentioned that url. I just tried it and it works fine. Can you confirm your versions for Windows, Chrome, 1Password, the 1Password browser extension?

• MisterAlex
    MisterAlex
    Community Member
    Options

Windows 7, Chrome 41, 1Password 4.3.0.556, Browser extension 4.3.0.90.

When I manually go into the login list and click my Sony saved login, 1Password opens a new tab to https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action and logs me in.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

In that case, confirmed. It works fine on the PS Store link in your OP but it does not pickup on the account login page you just linked.

@svondutch, can you take a look. Not sure if it's for you or for one of the JS devs.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne I'm confused. Do you happen to have consistent, reproducible steps? Thanks! /cc @MisterAlex

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Sure:

1) Goto: https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action
    2) Enter some details. Doesn't have to a valid account.
    3) Save the login to 1Password
    4) Reload the page.
    5) Press Ctrl+\

• MisterAlex
    MisterAlex
    Community Member
    Options

I just created a duplicate of my Sony login from store.playstation.com, and that one seems to work. I don't know why it ever stopped working, but I'm content with that as it is if I don't have to make another copy again later on.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

That is a symptom of the website being changed. I can't promise that it won't happen again, but in my experience its a rare occurrence.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@MisterAlex: Thanks for the update. I'm glad resaving the login worked for you!

Often there will be a different URL when you create a new account at a website than the one you are taken to later when you actually log in, or the forms may just be different. So saving a login manually at the page you actually use to log into your account can sometimes make a big difference, since 1Password can get a lot more information that helps it 'learn' how best to log you in in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.