Missing instruction for 1Password Anywhere

Options
erichubler
erichubler
Community Member

I've got 1Password installed on both my iMac and my MacBook, but it never works on the MacBook. With the iMac in the shop, I thought I would take a stab at using 1Password Anywhere; then I could also use it with my new Kindle Fire. But there seems to be a missing instruction. I set up a DropBox account and opened it on the web as instructed, but Step 2 reads "Click 1Password.agilekeychain (which may be inside a folder called “1Password”)." HOW WOULD IT HAVE GOTTEN THERE? I do have 1Password on an iPod but can't sync it to the MacBook -- I keep getting an error reading "Login failed. Please make sure email and password are correct. Error: Null."

I've always been able to sync 1Password between the iMac and the iPod successfully, but never gotten beyond that. Can someone provide step-by-step instructions -- genuinely step-by-step -- for using it with new devices? I might add that this is a persistent issue with 1Password support: there always seems to be an assumption that the user can divine intermediate steps, as if we were involved in designing the software. Thanks.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @erichubler,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble figuring out how to use 1PasswordAnywhere! I'm sure we can help you out with that.

...there seems to be a missing instruction.

I'm not sure exactly which set of steps you found, but the instructions here should be helpful: 1PasswordAnywhere

I set up a DropBox account and opened it on the web as instructed, but Step 2 reads "Click 1Password.agilekeychain (which may be inside a folder called “1Password”)." HOW WOULD IT HAVE GOTTEN THERE?

As explained in the instructions from my link above, you'll need to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password. You didn't mention which version of 1Password you're using on your Macs, but if you're using 1Password 5 for Mac, you can find steps to set up Dropbox sync in this User Guide article (if you happen to be using 1Password 4 for Mac, the steps are nearly identical).

I do have 1Password on an iPod but can't sync it to the MacBook -- I keep getting an error reading "Login failed. Please make sure email and password are correct. Error: Null."

From your description, it sounds like you might be using 1Password 3 for iOS on your iPod. Unfortunately Dropbox sync has not worked in that version since Dropbox made some major changes to their API over a year and a half ago (September 2013). If you want to make sure which version you're using on your iPod, open the 1Password app and go to Settings > About.

Which version of iOS is your iPod running? If it's running iOS 8, you can install 1Password 5 for iOS. If it's running iOS 6 or 7, we can help you to install 1Password 4 for iOS. Both of those versions are able to sync with Dropbox.

I've always been able to sync 1Password between the iMac and the iPod successfully, but never gotten beyond that. Can someone provide step-by-step instructions -- genuinely step-by-step -- for using it with new devices?

We can definitely give you the steps you need to get set up! But first, we'll need to know a few more details:

• What computers/devices are you trying to sync with 1Password? (You mentioned an iMac, MacBook, and iPod - are there any others?)
    • What version of Mac OS X are you running on each Mac?
    • What version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the web store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac?
    • What version of iOS is running on your iPod?
    • Which version of 1Password do you have on your iPod? (You can use this image to help you identify your version)
    • What sync method had you been using to sync 1Password between your iMac and iPod?
    • What exactly isn't working correctly on the MacBook?

Sorry for all the questions! Your answers will definitely help us understand your setup so we can help explain your options for syncing your 1Password data, and how to do that. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.