My 1password 3 application disappeared.

Options

My 1 password 3 application has disappeared. I was trying to troubleshoot a red exclamation mark that had appeared in my online list. My passwords wouldn't work. The trouble shooting page told me that I needed to reinstall the extension, which I did. Then it said that the extension couldn't find the helper and I should open my desktop application to go to the menu. But my desktop application would not open. So I followed an instruction on the forum to throw the application in the trash, empty the trash, and then re-boot the computer. But I was afraid I would lose all my data, so I threw an alias of the application in the trash as an experiment and rebooted my computer. Then I could open the desktop icon BUT it was a totally different interface. It gives me two choices: new data file or Find existing data. I clicked on Find existing data. My download file opened. I could find only one file for 1 password and it was grayed out and I couldn't select it! Meantime, the icon on the safari bar had disappeared and I feared I had lost all my data. However, I tried Firefox and found the icon there. I opened it and saw my passwords were still there but was afraid to experiment any farther. Please Help!!! I have already spent hours and hours on this and am at a deadened!. This all came about as a result of unsuccessfully trying to download 1 Password to my iPad using Dropbox.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JBH: I'm sorry that you're having trouble there! First, if you have your 1Password data in Dropbox, that is at least a good starting point. 1Password 3 is an old version, however. What version of OS X are you currently running? That may help shed some light on where the trouble started, if the two were incompatible. Please let me know, and we can go step by step to get you back up and running!

• JBH
    JBH
    Community Member
    Options

I am running OS X 10.7.5. Unfortunately, I don't have 1Password data in Dropbox. This problem started when I tried to upload 1Password to Dropbox. When I tried to open it in Dropbox om my iPad I got a message saying that key data was missing. I don't remember what I did but 1 Password no longer exists in Dropbox on my computer and on my iPad it exists only as .ws.agile.1Password. settings, which doesn't open.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JBH,

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your discussion to our 1Password 3 for Mac forum, since that's the version you're using on your Mac - you'll be able to get more specific help for version 3 here. I'm sorry you've had some much trouble with 1Password on your Mac and iPad!

I am running OS X 10.7.5.

In that case, you'll need to keep using 1Password 3 for Mac, since version 4 required OS X 10.8 or 10.9, and version 5 requires 10.10. The most up-to-date version of 1Password 3 is version 3.8.22. In the main 1Password app, you can find your exact version by going to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password. If it's an older version, you can download 3.8.22 from this site.

This problem started when I tried to upload 1Password to Dropbox. When I tried to open it in Dropbox om my iPad I got a message saying that key data was missing.

It sounds like you tried to view your 1Password data from the Dropbox app on your iPad, which won't work. To use your 1Password data on an iOS device, you would need to download 1Password for iOS from the App Store (which lets you sync your 1Password data from Dropbox, if you're using Dropbox sync). Or you can get read-only access to your vault in Dropbox from Safari on your iPad, using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature.

I don't remember what I did but 1 Password no longer exists in Dropbox on my computer and on my iPad it exists only as .ws.agile.1Password. settings, which doesn't open.

The .ws.agile.1Password.settings file was used by older versions of 1Password in order to find the location of your keychain file. It doesn't contain any of your 1Password data, it just has the location of the keychain in Dropbox.

You originally said all you did was move an alias for the 1Password app to the Trash. That shouldn't have caused any problem at all - in fact, even if you had moved the 1Password 3 app itself to the Trash, your data would still be stored somewhere else on your Mac (as long as you don't use an app cleaning utility to remove other files/folders related to 1Password). So I suspect something else happened that caused the app to no longer find your data.

It sounds like your 1Password data was in Dropbox at one point, so even if it's no longer there, you may be able to restore it if it was deleted/moved from Dropbox within a certain timeframe. On your Mac, go to dropbox.com and log into your Dropbox account. Next to the Search field at the top, you should see a small trashcan icon. Click on that to Show deleted files. Now look for a 1Password.agilekeychain folder, or possibly a 1Password folder. Do you see anything like that? If so, you should be able to right-click on the name and choose to restore it.

There's also a chance you still have a copy of that keychain on your Mac, or that you have backups of your 1Password data. Let us know if you're able to restore the data in Dropbox, and if not we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• JBH
    JBH
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG, Thank you so much for your long reply. In the meantime I talked with my son who gave me the same instructions you gave me and walked me through it. He helped me get my iPassword application restored from Dropbox trash, so it is back in Dropbox now. The application is back on my computer and the mini icon shows again on the Safari menu bar and it is working beautifully. He couldn't help me further, but I still can't open iPassword in Dropbox on the iPad. So i am back at the very spot where all the trouble began.

The message that shows up on the iPad says:

Problem Loading iPassword data file
    A key data file could not be loaded and 1Password Anywhere cannot continue without it.
    Please use this help guide for troubleshooting tips.

I went to the help guide: Step 1. Verify that Dropbox is working. ( I did that. It is working.) But i don't understand the instructions for Step 2.
    The link to Key data file does not open on iPad, and I cannot find it on my computer. I hope you can help me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JBH: Ah! So far so good, since you have your data in dropbox and 1Password is working on your computer. And I see the problem you're having on the iPad. Thanks for clarifying! :)

1password.html is actually 1PasswordAnywhere, a web interface to 1Password which can be stored in your Dropbox account for you to access your 1Password data in another computer's web browser if you are away from your own.

It sounds like you may be trying to open your 1Password data in the dropbox app, and this will not work and give you the error you described. You will need to download 1Password for iOS from the App Store and then from there you can tell it to use your data in Dropbox. Let me know your results. I look forward to hearing back from you. :)

This discussion has been closed.