Syncing between 1Password old (v1) and new (v4) version

artoor
artoor
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello :)
Today I noticed that there is an issue when syncing between my two PCs.
On one PC I have installed the newest version of 1Password (4.3.0.556) on the second one there is 1Password 1.0.9.342.
Problem concerns Software Licenses section. When I'm adding new item I usually duplicate another item and I'm changing some particular parts - mostly Licence Key and some another. The point is, everything I've added this way using 1Password 1.0.9.342 is not synced properly with 1Password 4.3.0.556. I mean - it's duplicated and it appears in the newest version but seems like no change were made - duplication only.
This is kind of frustrating as now I will have to follow all my licenses and correct them manually... or do you have better solution?

Edited

Seems that the fields of old version and the fields of the new one completely doesn't correspond with each other. I've transfered all my database from old one into the new one and looks there is a mess :(

Comments

• Hi @artoor,

I'm sorry to hear about the mess. We'd like to get more information to see if we can reproduce this on our side. If we can, then we can fix the issue and a simple update might be all you need to fix the problem. 1Password 4.x and 1.x read and write to the same data folders, it should be showing the same data in both application versions. If there are changes, it would be visual, we wouldn't modify your data out of nowhere, that's never a good idea and we avoid doing this.

Can you tell me how are you syncing your data between two PCs, are you using Dropbox?

When I'm adding new item I usually duplicate another item and I'm changing some particular parts - mostly Licence Key and some another. The point is, everything I've added this way using 1Password 1.0.9.342 is not synced properly with 1Password 4.3.0.556. I mean - it's duplicated and it appears in the newest version but seems like no change were made - duplication only.

I do the same thing when there is a new license key for a new version of the application, I duplicate the original one and change the license key.

Are you able to reproduce this consistently with a new item right now between both PCs? Basically, create a new software item as a test on PC with 1Password 1.0.9, fill it with random data, duplicate it [item state A] and then change something in it [item state B]. Now, sync it to your other PC, what happens? Is it only showing [item state B] on PC with 1Password 1.0.9 and 1Password 4 on the other PC shows [item state A]?

Seems that the fields of old version and the fields of the new one completely doesn't correspond with each other.

Can you explain more about which specific fields in which category? 1Password 1.x and 1Password 4.x follows the same template structures for the .agilekeychain format, it should not be changing anything. 1Password 4.x adds the newer .opvault format, which is slightly different but that's not what you're using at the moment.

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Let me explain how it looks. First of all you should know that I sync between 2 PCs using Spideroak Cloud - it works perfectly for me. I don't consider this way of syncing that it could trouble because I did some experiment - copied "1Password.agilekeychain" from 1Password v1 into 1Password v4 and it hasn't solved my problem either :(

I'd like to show you some screenshots that should explain mostly everything what happens.

First, please have a look at PC1A[old] - we have "Backupsf Pro" that I've duplicated. As you see I've changed the name of duplicated item into "Backupsd Pro XXX (2)".
    Now, please open the file called PC1B[old]. Here you can see what changes I've made. Some fields were changed, another were erased. Consider that it's still the same PC (with 1Password v1).
    When you open PC2A[new] - there is nothing that will surprise you as it looks the same as in PC1A[old] - all fileds consists of the same data.
    But when you open PC2B[new] you will be surprised because the only field that seems to be synced properly is "Notes".

As I mentioned there is no difference if I sync via Spideroak Cloud or by transfering "1Password.agilekeychain" from one PC to another - the result remains the same.

So far I've corrected all my duplicated files manually - but this will work only in the short term. Any idea how to solve this?

PS - note that below attached files are in order:
    PC1A[old]
    PC1B[old]
    PC2A[new]
    PC2B[new]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artoor: Thank you for the description and illustration! I think I understand what is going on here.

Just to clarify, is there a particular reason you are using 1Password version 1 instead of 4 on that machine? Using 1Password 4 will avoid these issues, since it's a conflict involving the sections that were added in 1Password 4 (which 1Password 1 did not support). That's the short version.

The long version is that the new sections are read before the legacy fields, so this issue presents itself only if you...
    1. create a new item in v4 (which therefore has the new sections)
    2. update the item in v1 (or Mac v3, which both write to the legacy fields, not the new sections)
    3. read this item in OPW4 (which uses the new sections, not the legacy fields)

So in fact you can use 1Password 1 as a basic reader if for some reason you have your heart set on it (granted, it won't be able to read any of the new sections) so long as you don't have it write to the data, because it won't be updating the sections since it doesn't know about them. I hope this helps make sense of this unique situation. :)

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member

Thank you brenty for your thorough explanation.
    Unfortunatelly the reason is - Windows XP - which is installed on 3rd PC - that is why I cannot use the newest version here. Anyway now I know the limitation and I will have to obey some restrictions and use 1Password 1 as a reader only. Thank you once again :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@artoor Go ahead and install version 4 on Windows XP. We do not officially support it, but it will work better than the old version.

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member

You made my day svondutch!
    Thanks a lot 8-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@artoor: On behalf of the S-man, you are most welcome. I think you might have just made his day as well!

While Windows XP in general is no longer supported (both by AgileBits and Microsoft), I've found myself that 1Password 4 works just fine there when I need to use it in a VM. Thanks so much for your support! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I use it daily on XP.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.