colored letters, figures and symbols

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hy,
I'm very happy with all my 1Password apps(iphone,ipad,mac) and i will be so happy if you can add on the mac version the same thing as we have on iphone and ipad : that is the different policies and different colors for figures , letters and symbol in a password.
Thanks very much.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ingikuga,

Thanks for your feedback about that! Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, 1Password for Mac already uses different colors for letters, numbers, and symbols in passwords. When I look at my passwords in the main 1Password app, the letters are black, numbers are blue, and symbols are red. Does it not appear that way on your Mac? If not, what exact version of 1Password do you have installed? (From the main app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password.)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I'm sorry but none of my passwords in Mac are "colored". My version is 5.1 ( 510027). Is there a parameter to change somewhere ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same as you @ingikuga and I'm using a beta of 1P 5.3 for Mac. I'm not quite sure how @Drew_AG is getting his colours. I don't necessarily feel strongly about the original request but thought it worth commenting that I don't see colours in passwords anywhere in 1P for Mac (whether in a saved login or when using the password generator, for example).

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm wondering if this is a font/display issue. perhaps only clear on a Retina display.

I've looked at passwords in the Generator and revealing login passwords by pressing Option. I still can't decide whether they are showing in the way Drew says or not.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

I'm in 1Password 5.1 and I have multicolored passwords, though the blue color is very close to black. Has been this way for some time.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Hmm, @danco you may be right (although I'm using a retina display). I think if I look very carefully at my passwords it's just about possible numbers in them might be blue! I've just experimented creating a new password including symbols (which I don't usually include) and they do show as red. I thus think your reference to a display issue is correct: it's extremely difficult to see the difference between the blue and the black (at least on my 15" MBP with retina screen).

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I've double-checked, using lots of symbols, and I can see them as red.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

So it seems what we're talking about here is the difference between the following

&

Where the top is 1Password for Mac and the bottom is 1Password for iOS. When I compare the two there's no contest, 1Password for iOS is more legible. It isn't the first request I've seen regarding contrast so maybe we need to consider adding a bit more oomph in general to the text.

ref: OPM-1459

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables:

So it seems what we're talking about here is the difference between the following

[Snip]

Exactly that, thanks.

Stephen

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Sorry but all the characters,symbols,figures in my passwords in mac are black; I don't have any colors as i have on my iphone6 ou my ipad air 2. It is not a difference of contrast. Thanks for your help(I have the problem on my imac and in my mac book air)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ingikuga,

Can you confirm exactly where you're viewing passwords on your Mac? For example, are you looking at the item details in the main 1Password app? Or in the 1Password extension in your web browser, or 1Password mini? Or are you using the password generator? Are you editing a password field, or just viewing a saved password? Does it matter which type of item (Login, Password, Bank Account, etc) you're using/viewing? Any details about how/where you're viewing your passwords might be helpful.

If possible, it would be helpful if you could create a new item in 1Password and generate a password (with numbers & symbols), save the new item, then take a screenshot of what you see. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the screenshot:

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi ,
    sorry to be so long to answer and thanks for your support and all yours new releases that are better and better.
    In fact, you're right and and i have colored passwords in my macs when i use the button"revealed" on the right at the top just next to the password. It is only when i use the button"editing" at the bottom of the page that the passwords are in black.
    May i have a suggestion for the future ? Will it be possible to have several kinds of policies for the passwords in macs, for example in my iphone i use "anonymous pro" and i m very happy with it.

Thanks a lot for your application and for your support !

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ingikuga,

No problem at all for taking some time to answer! I'm glad you're enjoying the new releases, and that the password character colors are working correctly (although I'm sorry for the confusion about that). Hopefully we'll be able to improve that in the future to make it more obvious.

Can you please elaborate a bit on your suggestion? I know Anonymous Pro is about fixed-width fonts that make it easier to distinguish certain characters from each other, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "policies" for the passwords? Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi
    Sorry for my awful english, i mean "font style" instead of "policies".
    thanks for your kindness and patience with french people !!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ingikuga,

I've added your request for Mac font options :smile:

ref: OPM-297

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member

Hi,
    The colour coding is inspired but I've a suggestion to make it even more useful: Make symbols blue and numbers red (instead of the reverse).

I suggest this because, to me at least, blue and black are harder to discriminate than red and black are. And letters and numbers are harder to discriminate than symbols and letters.

Or put another way. I need help telling the difference between 1 ('one') and l ('el') so make them black and red; I don't need help with the difference between 1 ('one') and # - they already look very different.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Make symbols blue and numbers red (instead of the reverse).
    I suggest this because, to me at least, blue and black are harder to discriminate than red and black are. And letters and numbers are harder to discriminate than symbols and letters.

@RobR_61: That is an excellent point! Now, since red is a bit hard on the eyes and various forms of colourblindness plague many of us, it may be best to allow a few different options here. But I've added your considered thoughts to our internal tracker. Thank you! :chuffed:

• RobR_61
    RobR_61
    Community Member

...PS If AgileBits is interested in having some hard facts to back this assumption up - or to test which colour combinations work best -- I might be able to get one of my research students to run a study with some volunteers. (I'm an experimental psychology prof and do quite a lot of this kind of research)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RobR_61: I certainly wouldn't discourage you from doing so if you're interested in studying this yourself! I'd be happy to update our feature request documentation and share your results with the rest of the team. And you never know, it could help influence decisions we make with password display going forward! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.