Safari extension problem

sfross
sfross
Community Member

Help us help you!

• I’m using 1Password version #: 5.1 (AgileBits store)
  • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): Mac
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): iOS devices

(Please provide as much detail as possible, but remember—this is a public forum. Please don’t share personal information like email addresses or passwords.)
I've been using 1Password (Mac, iOS, Safari extension) for years. All of a sudden, everytime I open Safari there's a box warning that Safari couldn't load 1Password extension; as far as I know, it's still there. Went to 1Password Mac version, chose Install Safari extension, downloaded it, but I get a message "Safari can’t install this extension". I'm using Safari 8.0.4, 1Password 5.1 (AgileBits store), and OS x Yosemite 10.10.2. What's going on?
Thank you.

SRL

PS 1Password still seems to work in Safari. Why all the error messages?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @srlanza,

It seems like Safari might have gotten itself into a bit of a state regarding extensions. Here is what I would like you to try.

1. Completely uninstall the 1Password Browser Extension from Safari.
    2. Reboot your Mac.
    3. Attempt a clean installation of our extension in Safari.

If the error still occurs we might need to get a little drastic. In this case can you do the following please.

Make sure Safari is not opened.

Preference plist

Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window. Use the following location

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.

Drag the highlighted file to your Trash.

Extension files

Like above, open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window. Use the following location

~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ and click the Go button.

Drag the highlighted folder to your Trash.

Safari Extensions List

Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/. Search on the word safari and you should have 3 entries in the results. You want to right click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.

After those two, reboot your Mac and you'll need to go through the steps of installing your extensions again. With a little luck whatever got messed up was in there and the 1Password extension will now properly load

Let us know how you get along.

• sfross
    sfross
    Community Member

Thankfully, the uninstall, reboot, and reinstall worked; no need for the "fancier" stuff. Thanks very much for your help; I'm very impressed at how quickly you responded!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad we could impress @srlanza and great to hear it's once again working :smile:

If you have any further problems (fingers crossed you don't of course) you know where to come and we'll do our best to impress once again :wink:

This discussion has been closed.