Secondary Vaults: Accessing Them Using an iMac/MacBook Pro vs. iPad/iPhone

vegabond
vegabond
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 5 for Mac with the Pro features. Everything is working beautifully except for one thing. I have a Primary Vault and a Secondary Vault - each with their own password. The Secondary Vault was created for use by my son.

When using an iMac or MacBook Pro, I can choose which Vault I want to open with either of the two passwords. Meaning:

• If I use my Primary Password, I have access to both Vaults.
  • If my son wants access to his Vault (the Secondary Vault in my account) he just opens it with the password that was generated. He has NO ACCESS to my Primary Account.

Unfortunately, on our iPhones or iPads, we CANNOT choose which Vault to open. The only way HE has access to his Vault when using his iPhone or iPad, is to use the password for MY Primary Vault - something I'm not willing to do even though he's my son and I love & trust him very much!

So...., is this just the way 1Password has their system set up, or are we doing something wrong? Please advise.

Thank you in advance!

Mark

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I don't believe you can do what you want like that. However, have you considered sharing just the secondary vault with your son? See this knowledge base article. Note that will require both of you to use Dropbox (because that's currently the only way you can sync only a secondary vault—i.e., without also syncing the primary vault). I wonder if that might be a suitable work around for you.

Stephen

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

???? What do you mean you don't believe I can do what I want like that? I already have shared JUST the Secondary Vault with my son. I am also using Dropbox successfully. If you read my posting thoroughly, I said that everything was working beautifully except for the one thing. I sincerely appreciate you trying to help me, but it appears you really didn't read my post thoroughly...

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I'm so sorry you think I didn't read your post thoroughly. You might care to read it again yourself. I find it unclear because of this:

Unfortunately, on our iPhones or iPads, we CANNOT choose which Vault to open.

I cannot see why that is significant if you're sharing only your secondary vault with your son. Your primary vault (in that case) won't be on his iOS device in any event. (You refer specifically to "his" iPhone and iPad so you're obviously not sharing iOS devices.)

As I say I'm sorry my reply was not more helpful to you—but I did read your post very carefully before replying, have done so again and still don't understand the part I have quoted if you're sharing only the secondary vault.. If you feel I'm being obtuse feel free to wait for someone else to come along. :)

Stephen

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Stephen - My apologies for coming across like I was being short with you. Let's try this again. You are correct – we are not sharing iOS devices. My son can access his vault on his MacBook Pro OR on our iMac here at home using the password he created. That only allows him access to his vault (which is really my Secondary Vault) and NOT my Primary Vault. However, when he is on the go and needs to access his Vault via his iPhone or iPad, he is not able to do so unless I give him my master password. If I do that, it allows him access to BOTH vaults - which is something I do not want to do. Therefore, it appears that he can only access his vault using a regular or laptop computer and NOT on a mobile device. Does this explanation help you understand a little better?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Thanks for the response and sorry, too, if I was a little curt in response to your first reply. :)

I'm still confused by some of the things you say:

My son can access his vault on his MacBook Pro OR on our iMac here at home using the password he created. That only allows him access to his vault (which is really my Secondary Vault) and NOT my Primary Vault.

The fact that you say "That only allows him access to his vault (which is really my Secondary Vault) and NOT my Primary Vault" indicates to me that what you're sharing with him is the whole caboodle (if I may put it like that!)—i.e., both primary and secondary vaults. But you say in a post above:

I already have shared JUST the Secondary Vault with my son.

Maybe we're getting at cross purposes about what we mean by "share". What I mean is what I linked to in my first reply to you: the sharing via Dropbox of just your secondary vault. That would mean that the only thing your son would have on any of his devices (Mac or iOS device) would be that secondary vault. He wouldn't be able to access your primary vault because it never gets on to any of his devices. You can do that using Dropbox, and that was what I was getting at in my first reply to you.

My suspicion (and sorry if I've still got it wrong) is that you're synchronising your complete 1P data to your son's devices (including his Mac) and not solely your secondary vault.

Apologies again if I'm still missing something but that's what it sounds like to me!

Stephen

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Great news!!! Somewhere, in all of our rhetoric of trying to figure out what each other was saying, I figured out my problem! I simply went back to the link from your earlier post, and BAM!!!..... It hit me like a slap to the face. All I needed to do was change to my son's folder that I set up for him in Dropbox. Thank you so much for help! Most importantly, Thank you for all of your patience!

Have a great day

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@vegabond I'm so glad it's all sorted. I'd been worrying I was still misunderstanding you!

Stephen

• Excellent! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear Stephen was able to get you sorted out. :)

This discussion has been closed.