How much control do you have over the Ui?

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

I dislike the 1Password 5 interaction with mobile Safari where iPhones are concerned. The browser's toolbar is at the bottom of the screen but it's on top with the iPad where I find accessibility better. I have yet to test 1Browser but I don't expect much of a difference.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@wkleem: I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this thread to the iOS section of the forum since your questions relate to that version.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not a fan of the browser experience. 3rd party developers such as AgileBits have no access to the interface in Safari (or any of Apple's apps, for that matter). Instead, Apple has made it so that developers can create extensions (part of an existing app) which are exposed system-wide and available to other apps that support them; these are exposed through the [⇧] Share button. In Safari on iPhone, these are located at the bottom, because, well...that's where your thumb generally is. Whereas on the iPad all navigation is at the top, because no one (I don't think) is palming an iPad and using it one-handed.

In the case of 1Browser, we actually use a similar setup to Safari since that it is familiar to people. In our own app, obviously we could change the location of UI elements, but again we'd be hesitant to have 1Browser work radically differently from Safari -- since often people are only using 1Browser in the first place to have access to all of 1Password's features, some of which aren't available in the extension.

Certainly we are always thinking about ways to improve 1Password, so we really appreciate your feedback. It may be that we can improve usability in a future version, so do not hesitate to offer suggestions! :chuffed:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Hi , I started with the iPad and Desktop browsers long before that. I have no experience with the iPhone 6 plus to know what mobile Safari is like on that device

Even Tabs below the location bars makes people upset when they want tabs on top!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@wkleem: Interestingly enough, on the iPad, Safari has the tabs below the location bar, whereas 1Password has them above it; so that is one difference. But in both cases all the navigation and options are along the top, not the bottom.

On the iPhone (any model), the address bar is at the top (along with main navigation), and things like tabs and Share/1Password are along the bottom.

I can't think of a single browser on any platform that is set up exactly as I'd like it, but they get the job done. To each his own! But I like having quick access to everything, so I can just enjoy the experience. Cheers! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I've just had a look at your 1Password for iOS guide.

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/extension

I find that I click inside the login's text box which I don't actually have to do, per the extension guide.

Clicking inside the text box displays the keyboard which obscures the bottom toolbar. That makes me wish the lower bar was on top like on the iPad

• Yep. Unfortunately we don't have any control over the placement of items inside of Safari (or other apps). Sorry for the inconvenience! But yes, you are correct, you do not need to enter the text box prior to activating 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.