Best solution??

Options
chirotor
chirotor
Community Member

I prefer Swype with its word prediction, to tapping. Is this the best solution? Could you not add an extension to android chrome for example?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome doesn't support extensions on Android, nor do most of the Android browsers. Firefox is the only exception. Besides, that doesn't help for filling app logins.

• saad
    edited March 2015
    Options

To add to the post above, you can simply switch between your desired keyboard and the 1Password keyboard. You only need to switch over to the 1Password keyboard when you need to fill your login information! Switching keyboards can be done by long pressing the spacebar.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The long spacebar press is not universal. Mine doesn't do it

• peri
    Options

Is this the LG G3 @RichardPayne?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

correct

• peri
    Options

Hey Richard. I had one of my colleagues with an LG device test this out. For her, long pressing the space bar brings up the option to switch apps rather than keyboards.

Is that what happens for you?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Nothing happens on long press. Is she on lollipop?

• peri
    Options

No, I don't believe she is. I'll pass this along to the devs and see if anyone else can reproduce it on another device. Unfortunately, I only have Samsung devices, so I'm not able to test this one out myself. I'll let you know what we find out!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

My G3 came with Lollipop already installed so it's entirely conceivable that they re-did the LG keyboard for it.

• saad
    Options

@RichardPayne Interesting! Thanks for pointing this out. On your LG device running Lollipop, do you also see the keyboard icon next to the Home and Recents button that allows switching keyboards?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

No, but there is a similar button next the space bar. Note that I wasn't complaining that switching keyboards was hard for me, just that the advice being given wasn't universally true.

• saad
    Options

@RichardPayne Thanks! I was just curious as I don't have a LG device with Android Lollipop, and that information will come handy when helping users on LG devices. :)

• _CH_
    _CH_
    Community Member
    Options

@peri - ah the joys of a manufacturer skinned UI! You might also what to check what keyboard your colleague is using - some have user definable shortcuts. Does Agile Bits do most actual 'on device' testing with a vanilla version of android (i.e. a nexus or GPE device)?

@RichardPayne - the G3 has on screen buttons (as opposed to capacitive) right?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

CH

• peri
    Options

CH We do testing on a number of different devices, though it's hard to get one of each. :) We do have several "vanilla" devices on the team, and I personally have a couple of Samsung devices as well. Between us, we have a nice assortment of Android devices with different UIs.

Thanks for the suggestions with regards to testing the keyboard. We're testing this one out as we speak. :)

This discussion has been closed.