iCloud password won't work for access to MacBook: locked out and desperate!

Options
thomassprangers
thomassprangers
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

I recently purchased a new MacBook and a friend urged me to install 1 password. I did and changed all my major passwords (including my appleID and closed my MacBook). I didn't set up syncing yet or stored the data in Dropbox. When I opened my MacBook again, I couldn't get pass the lock screen somehow. I resetted my lock screen password and then had to login with my appleID.

It doesn't matter what I do, it claims my appleID password is invalid. Strangely enough, I have no problem logging in and out of my appleID with my other devices. I've reset my appleID password multiple times, but still the same problem. Since I haven't got my 1 password synced up, it makes me think that 1 password has something to do with me being locked out of my new MacBook.

I'm really desperate at is point, please help!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@thomassprangers: I'm sorry you're having trouble getting in! Just to make sure we're on the same page, Apple ID/iCloud, Mac OS X user account, and 1Password vault can (and arguably should, for security reasons) be using different passwords altogether.

OS X will let you set your user account login to use your iCloud password, but 1Password is completely separate. Your 1Password vault(s) require(s) the Master Password you set up when you created it (or changed it later) in order to unlock your data. Only if you used the same password for both iCloud and 1Password (not recommended) would it be possible for you to unlock 1Password using the same password you use for iCloud.

From your description it almost sounds like you are stuck trying to log into your Mac in the first place. If it helps, I had a similar issue the other day, and found that the first login prompt required my iCloud password, while the second required my OS X user account password. And if you recently changed either of these, be aware that some OS X Keychain items may require your old (iCloud or OS X user account) password still. Yikes.

But if you are having trouble unlocking 1Password, please check out our guide to see if any of these tips apply to your situation. AgileBits does has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password you use to secure it, but hopefully you are able to gain access again using the correct password. I know that 1Password can store them for you, but it can be hard to keep which one goes where straight sometimes! Please let me know how it turns out. :)

This discussion has been closed.