German translation for 1Password for Windows [In progress via beta testing]

2»

Comments

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

hey guys, I saw today you published 5.3.1 560 - I noticed you've added german local somewhere in BETA 55x. Why isn't it visible in production version now?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman the localization isn't ready for the stable releases (yet).

• Hi @telephoneman,

Localization isn't as simple as translating the strings, we have to make sure the UI is adapting properly to it and also, the translators are including the extra metadata correctly. We actually had a few crashes because of some of the missing metadata, which we've fixed in the latest beta/stable updates.

As you've seen in the changelog, we're still working on the UI changes to make sure it is ready for all languages. We are getting close to releasing it to the public but that depends on the progress of the beta testing and also the work on the translations.

If you want, you can help us translate 1Password for German via Crowdin here: https://crowdin.com/project/1password-for-windows-desktop/de

The more help we can get on the translations, the sooner we can enable the support. Right now, German has been translated 100% but it is only at 1% validated/approved.

• ~Smitty~
    ~Smitty~
    Community Member

Dear Support Team!

I'm a big fan of 1Password and use it for over one year now on all my devices. A few minutes ago I finally bought a windows license for my parents, because you mentioned on your site: https://support.1password.com/supported-languages/win.html that German is supported!

Well, as it seems, that's a lie!!

I would appreciate, if we could get in contact asap, otherwise I'll cancel the VISA transaction. Please write me a pm on Twitter (@MarkusSchmid)

Best regards,
    markus

• I am very sorry for the misunderstanding, Markus! That document inadvertently included languages that are available in the beta version of 1Password for Windows.

I have updated the Supported Languages article to show the correct information. Note that you may need to refresh the page to reload your cache.

A refund is no problem at all and I can do that now if you like. With that said, I'd love it if you could join the beta and use the German version there. I cannot promise an exact release date, but I can say that this beta has been pretty solid and it will be released relatively soon. The Supported Languages article above has details on how to enable the beta.

Cheers!

• ~Smitty~
    ~Smitty~
    Community Member

Hey there!

Thanks for the response. As I said before, I love your software. What about a small deal? You will refund 50% of the price and I will join the beta program (I am already in the beta for the Android App) and take part in helping translating or validating "German" on https://crowdin.com/project/1password-for-windows-desktop/de ?
    I just need a hint, how this works (as I haven't done that before). I can't see how I can validate the translations :-(

Cheers,
    markus

• ~Smitty~
    ~Smitty~
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

OK, took the guided tour... As everything is already translated, how can I become a "proofreader"? Validating shouldn't take that long (especially because I have the Mac version installed which is already in German)
    I guess showing my parents how to check "Include beta builds" via Skype will take longer :-D :-D :-D

• Hi @~Smitty~,

What about a small deal?

Please contact us at support+forum@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we'll see what we can do.

Validating shouldn't take that long (especially because I have the Mac version installed which is already in German)

To be a proofreader, we need to see your work first. It is only reserved for translators that we feel safe with, we can't just give the status to everyone that asks for it because it comes with a lot of power. If you think there is an issue with the translation, please file an issue on the string, and one of us will follow up. You can also suggest a new string if you want and vote for it.

I guess showing my parents how to check "Include beta builds" via Skype will take longer :-D :-D :-D

I'd suggest waiting for now, we're getting very close to finishing it up for a few languages and likely to have a stable update soon but that depends on the beta testing at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.