Multiple Vaults for Windows [Share the vault], does Android app support multiple vaults [Not yet]

Options
Wylie
Wylie
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

I just bought 1Password for my entire team and we need to share multiple vaults. We use Windows machines. How do we do this?

Thanks,
Wylie

Comments

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to utilize multiple vaults on Android devices as well.

Thanks!

• MikeT
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

Can you tell me how you guys typically share files, do you use a syncing service like Dropbox?

This guide will help explain how vaults are shared among co-workers or even family: https://support.1password.com/dropbox-share-vault/?win

The current Android app does not support multiple vaults yet, it is something we're working on but I don't have a timeframe on when it'll be ready.

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, we do use DropBox to share the agilekeychain(s).

I just wanted to make sure it was possible from the Windows version to switch between different keychains - do we just open a new keychain file? Is there a quicker, easier way? Can we only have one keychain open at a time? Is there an article on multiple keychains and switching between them?

For Android, is there a way via the app settings UI to change the vault (even if not quick or convenient)?

Thanks,
    Chris

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

I just wanted to make sure it was possible from the Windows version to switch between different keychains - do we just open a new keychain file? Is there a quicker, easier way?

Yes, it is possible to switch between different vaults. You just tell 1Password which the vault to open and 1Password will keep a list of recently opened lists for you like this:

Note that 1Password does not retain your vault passwords anywhere, which means that as you switch vault, you will need to manually enter the vault password for it each time.

Can we only have one keychain open at a time?

Only one vault can be used at a time.

Is there an article on multiple keychains and switching between them?

Not for Windows at the moment, it is a great idea and I'll file a request with our docs team to add this.

For Android, is there a way via the app settings UI to change the vault (even if not quick or convenient)?

Unfortunately, no. You'd have to wipe the data folder each time and reauthorize the app to download the different vault. We are working on the internal structure of the Android app to add support for multiple vaults and also switching between them but it will take some time to finish the work.

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

Does the iPhone / iPad app support multiple vaults? Is there an article on this? Also, just for clarification, the Vault password is the same as the Master password - is this correct?

Thanks,
    Chris

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

Does the iPhone / iPad app support multiple vaults? Is there an article on this?

Yes, they do. https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/settings-vaults

Also, just for clarification, the Vault password is the same as the Master password - is this correct?

That is correct, it just means the master password specifically for that vault. On the Mac and iOS platforms, there is a concept called the primary and secondary vaults. The first vault you ever open on that specific Mac or iOS device becomes the primary vault while the rest of the vaults are considered to be secondary.

The way we built the Mac and iOS apps with a centralized local database allows us to give you the ability to unlock all the secondary vaults just by unlocking with your primary vault. In this case, the master password is your primary vault password. This is possible because we store the vault keys in the local database that does not leave your computer or iOS device, it is encrypted with your master password.

This capability is not available on Windows, just for Macs and iOS devices for now.

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

What about the Chrome extension? Does this support multiple vaults? On a chromebook?
    https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

The Chrome extension is based on the open vault you have in the application but you can switch vault from the extension's lock view or the system tray app like so;

From the system tray:

On a chromebook?

ChromeBook is not a platform we support. The Chrome extension requires the main application to be installed.

It is possible in the future, you could use the Android app version of 1Password to run on ChromeBook via ARC (Android Runtime for Chrome) if Google ever releases it but we can't confirm anything right now. This is all experimental right now at Google.

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the great help!

My wife and I often use our Chrome book to sign into amazon, netflix, check our Gmail, etc. Is there truly so support for Chromebook? How do you suggest we utilize our 1Password passwords on our Chromebook? Will we need to manually create low security passwords (that we can remember) for use on any site we access on our Chromebook?

Chris

• MikeT
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

My wife and I often use our Chrome book to sign into amazon, netflix, check our Gmail, etc. Is there truly so support for Chromebook?

Correct, there truly is no support for 1Password on ChromeBook. Some users who does not need the full power of 1Password and need to access specific data can use 1PasswordAnywhere as a readonly web app on Dropbox.com. You can find out more here.

Will we need to manually create low security passwords (that we can remember) for use on any site we access on our Chromebook?

Please do not do this. We would rather you use a different password manager that does support ChromeBook than to lower your security like this. I'd suggest looking at LastPass as they should have an extension that can work in Chrome on ChromeBook.

We have some plans in the future that might work around this and we hope you'd reconsider 1Password in the future when we might have support for ChromeBook but for now, please do not weaken your passwords or reuse passwords for the sake of using 1Password on all of your devices. We do not want your business like this, we want you to be secure at all times, even if it means not having you and your family or coworkers as part of our family.

• Wylie
    Wylie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Darn, I'm sad to say that I will need to find another solution. Chromebook is the home browser of choice for several of our staff.

I very much appreciate your time and the integrity of the 1Password team. Best of fortune to you all.

Thanks,
    Chris

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Wylie,

We're sadden as well. Hopefully, we'll have a solution for you in the future.

You're welcome and if there's anything else we can do for you, feel free to reach out to us any time.

This discussion has been closed.