Parameters Reference

Having just started using 1Password, I am not totally familiar with all of the nomenclature. It appears when a login record is created, a set of 'rules' appears at the bottom of the dialog box. Sometimes tweaking this manually can improve performance. I am just wondering if there is a Reference Listing anywhere about the parameters for these 'Rules?'

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, Paul!

Can you post a screen shot or describe what you're calling rules?
  • DBrown wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Paul!

Can you post a screen shot or describe what you're calling rules?

Thank you, David. The window at the bottom of the attached screen shot is what I am referring to.

Thanks,

Paul
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the screen shot, Paul!

That dialog box doesn't appear when a new Login item is created from within your browser, but when you edit an existing Login item from within 1Password.

There's no way to create a reference to the fields that appear there, because each site's login page has a different set of fields, hidden and visible, all of which are saved when 1Password creates a Login for you.

Generally speaking, a Login needs only a name, a location URL, a username, and a password for 1Password to function. You'd have to examine the HTML code of the corresponding login page to try to determine what additional fields you do (or don't) want to retain.

Generally, again, additional fields don't hurt anything, but there could certainly be exceptions.

For example, a field like "name = createNewAccount, type = checkbox, value = yes" probably would be inappropriate for subsequent login attempts. Likewise, a field like "name = targetPage, type = selection, value = savings" might be annoying if you typically want to log in to see your checking account.

I hope that helps, Paul.
  • David,

I guess you are telling me the 'rules' are created dynamically from the code on the website and are designed to be more 'reactive' than 'proactive' and I should just put them out of my mind, unless I'm not getting the desired results, which would result in a posting in this forum!

Thanks for the explanation. I know this is a brand new platform for your fine product and I am looking forward to enjoying the 'catching up' process.

Thanks,

Paul
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Just to be clear, Paul, they really aren't rules.

They're just the visible and hidden fields that were present on that site's login form at the moment you submitted it and accepted 1Password's offer to create a Login item. You could see them all by examining the HTML code of the login form.
This discussion has been closed.