Syncing 1 Password with iCloud when purchased from Agile Bits Store

Options
sunporchct
sunporchct
Community Member

I've been reading the forums and are still confused by the process.
At this point, all my devices are syncing using Dropbox. (although I prefer iCloud)
I am using iOS8 on iPhone and upgraded to Yosemite on Desktop.
Was unsuccessful with iCloud using 1 Password version 5.0
The iCloud icon was not an shown when attempting to sync.
I have now upgraded to 5.2 for iPhone & 5.1 for desktop Yosemite.
These are the latest versions for Agile.
So can I change the sync to use iCloud if purchased from the agile bits store?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If you purchase from the AgileBits store, you will not be able to use iCloud for syncing. With the release of Yosemite, Apple closed access to iCloud for syncing, unless the application is purchased from the Mac App Store.

• Hi @sunporchct‌,

I do apologize it is confusing. The short answer is that since you bought 1Password at our web store, iCloud Sync is not available to you.

Basically, the type of iCloud sync technology we use in 1Password is only accessible via your AppleID account, which is restricted to apps sold at Mac and iOS App Stores.

Customers who bought 1Password at our web store will not be able to use iCloud sync, only Dropbox, Wi-Fi, and Folder Sync (Folder Sync is not supported on iOS).

• dwd
    dwd
    Community Member
    Options

It would be nice if I had known this BEFORE I purchased the software from your website. If I had this information prior to purchase I would have chosen the App Store as much much prefer using iCould for sync. Any chance I could switch to the Apple Store app either now or in a future update?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

@dwd - You can get a refund from AgileBits if you bought your license within the last 30 days.

• Hi @dwd,

I recommend you email support+licenses@agilebits.com with your license information, and we'll see if a refund is possible for your case.

Rick

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dwd, the purchasing page for 1PW at the AgileBits store says clearly in two places that if you want iCloud sync you must purchase from Apple's App Store.

As one of the AgileBits people said some time ago, nobody can force a person to read information, no matter how visible it is.

Actually, I feel they would save themselves and users a fair bit of trouble by giving this information in a couple of other places as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for the feedback, @danco! It seems some folks are missing that information when making the purchase from our web store, and we're certainly looking into whether that's because the information isn't obvious enough, or if people just aren't reading it. We don't like for this type of thing to happen. :(

ref: AGW-151

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The trouble is, in my opinion, that the purchase page says "required for iCloud sync" right under the "Available on the Mac App Store" button. If someone is already showing interest in the version from Agile they may well not bother with reading anything to do with the App Store. I suspect this is the main issue. Of course, the info is also visible if one click on System Requirements, but again someone using Yosemite is very likely not to do this.

I would suggest adding something like "provided you do not need iCloud sync" next to or under the "Or buy it here" line.

Maybe go even further, and when someone gets to the purchase page, at some point - perhaps when clicking on the button that currently completes the purchase (though possibly earlier) go to a page saying "Are you sure? This version does not include iCloud sync" with Complete Purchase and Cancel buttons.

• Hi @danco,

Those are some good suggestions. We're putting some work on our store soon, hopefully we can make this stuff clearer.

Rick

• dwd
    dwd
    Community Member
    Options

The front page of the Agilebits site says nothing that I could find about the iCloud issue, https://agilebits.com. From the front page there are 2 opportunities to download the version you need, mac, windows etc. I downloaded the program directly from this front page and used it for several days on a trial basis to see if it worked for me. Then several days later I went to purchase a license for the product. I do recall seeing the "Available from the Apple App Store logo but failed to see the tiny required for iCloud sync. The "" is not referenced in the iCloud logo therefore appears as a stand alone and is somewhat unclear. FYI, even if I had seen and understood the message that I needed to download the program from the Apple App store to use iCloud sync I would still have been annoyed that I needed to start all over. During the trial period I saved quite a few usernames and passwords.
    I purchased this less than 30 days ago and have requested a refund. Am trying to figure out how to uninstall so I can start over with a version from the App Store.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@dwd - Don't uninstall it to start over. Follow these guidelines to migrate over to the Mac App Store version: Migrating to the Mac App Store version.

You won't lose any of your data that way, and you won't have to start over.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dwd. Unfortunately, Apple provide no way of having a trial version in the App Store. So anyone who want to try out 1PW has to download from AgileBits, and then follow hawkmoth's advice on migration if they want the App Store version.

I don't agree that the "required for iCloud sync" is tiny. It isn't as big as the main items, but it a reasonable size and not hidden away.

It is perhaps somewhat unclear - certainly many people seem to miss it - which is why I have made the suggestions in my previous post. Hopefully, Agile will make the information clearer, as rickfillion indicates. If that is done, it might also be a good idea to provide info about how to change from the trial version to the App Store version somewhere on the purchase page.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dwd, Do you have any suggestions about how to improve the information, seeing that you are one of the people who did not notice the info?

I looked on the AgileBits home page. It is possible to download 1PW without any information about it. It is also possible to go to pages giving information before downloading, and there, if one looks to see if anything is said about iCloud, it is very clearly mentioned that the App Store version.

The download is a zip file that just unzips into the 1PW app. Maybe AgileBits should include a Read Me First file that points out that one can try out that version, but will have to buy from the App Store if one wants iCloud, and giving the link to the info about migration.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks everyone for your feedback about this! As Rick mentioned yesterday, we're making some improvements to our website, and hope to make this clearer.

@dwd, I see that you emailed us and received a refund for the web store version. As previously mentioned, you don't need to start over from scratch with the Mac App Store version, and the migration should be extremely easy. Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need help with anything, we're here for you! :)

• Danilo
    Danilo
    Community Member
    Options

This is really unacceptable behaviour, verging on the dishonourable. Putting the responsibility on people for not seeing the fine print is tiresome and bad business practice. It's not hard to create a pop-up that says "Do not proceed with this purchase if you want iCloud sync - pleases purchase from the App Store instead". Easy and simple. There is no excuse for not creating that other than laziness or profit-seeking. Not impressed.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The current layout is much more than fine print. It is very clearly stated on the purchase page, in a place where Agile reasonably expected that people would see it. But it seems that they underestimated the extent to which people do not read necessary information even when it is clearly visible.

Anyway, given the thirty-day refund policy this is not a real problem.

I agree with you that the ways in which the information is presented still need to be improved, and have already made the same suggestion as you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danilo: The 'dishonourable' thing to do would be to say 'all sales are final' and leave our customers with no recourse for accidental purchases.

Instead, I encourage you to email us at support+license at agilebits dot com within 30 days of your purchase if you are in any way dissatisfied and we will be more than happy to give you a full refund.

And rather than being 'lazy', we're more than happy to help if you have any other questions or need help with our products. That's a promise. :)

This discussion has been closed.