1Password folders for 1Password and 1Password 4

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I upgraded to 1Password 4 for Mac quite a ways back, probably last October. I see in the Application Support folder these two folders: 1Password and "1Password 4". Are they both necessary?

Looking into the Backups sub-folder of each shows backup files are being currently put into both of these folders, although on different days. Could it be possible that both 1Password and 1Password 4 are running separately on my system? Can I get rid of the older version? How?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9 ,

If you've upgraded to 1Password 4, that '1Password' folder is likely not necessary. However, if you're still seeing backups being made, it sounds to me like you might still have a bit of version 3 hanging around and trying to be helpful. We've got a guide on how to completely uninstall 1Password 3. I'd recommend going through the manual steps (as the uninstaller was built for an earlier version of the OS X.

This should get you all cleared up, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the swift response. For whatever reason, the manual uninstall procedure does not perfect match my system. So I am going to comment on each step that did not apply, and what action I took.

1. I looked in my application folder and saw there 1Password.app and 1Password 5.app.
    2. I started up 1Password.app to remove the browser extensions. On the browser tab, there was nothing listed, but only the button to Install Extensions. I concluded this had already been done somewhere along the line, so did nothing further for this step.
    3. For Chrome extensions, there was only one extension listed for 1Password. But it gave the version as 4.3.1.90. So not wanting to remove the current version, again I left this alone.
    4. For Safari extensions, again the extension showed 4.3.1 as the version, so I left that alone.

At this point I am suspecting that the 1Password Application Support folder might be for Version 5, and the on labeled "1Password 4" could be for version 4. In that case, I am probably doing the wrong thing, and should uninstall the version 4 items.

Continuing with the steps:

1. I see that Firefox also has 4.3.1.

Because of the confusion, I stopped at this point, because I need to know if I should just remove all the 4.3.1 extensions. I suppose if this is wrong they can always be reinstalled.

Please let me know which was to go.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It sounds very much as though you have two versions of 1P5 installed—one downloaded from the Mac App Store and one downloaded from the AgileBits store. 1 Password.app is the Mac App Store version and 1 Password 5.app is the AgileBits store version.

You did right to stop where you did because we'll need to try to work out which of the versions has your most complete set of information before deciding which one to remove.

Please try this:

1. Open 1 Password.app and then quit it using ⌃⌘Q (control + cmd + q).
    2. Now open 1 Password 5.app and check carefully how many items you have in it. Quit it using ⌃⌘Q.
    3. Re-open 1 Password.app and check how many items you have in it.

Basically, for the moment, when quitting either app please use ⌃⌘Q—because that quits 1P mini as well and avoids the conflicts you've been having between the two apps.

Once we know which version has your most complete data set we can help you get everything sorted so that you have only one version on your Mac.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

This is one of the very rare occasions where I suspect @Stephen_C is mistaken. Given how often he's spot on with his assessment though you'd better believe I'm not going to say he's definitely wrong at this point :wink:

We have created a little of this confusion ourselves as the 1Password 3 application was titled 1Password while our Agile Web Store (AWS) versions of 1Password 4 and were 1Password 5 were titled thusly i.e. 1Password 4 and 1Password 5. Now the confusion comes from when we started selling 1Password in Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). That version is also titled 1Password regardless of the version installed. So as you can see, Stephen suspect's you're running both the AWS and MAS version of 1Password 5 while I suspect you still have 1Password 3 and 1Password 5 in your Applications folder.

We'll be able to determine if you still have 1Password 3 via the screenshot below. Is this what you saw when you launched the 1Password application, entered 1Password's preferences and switched to the Browsers tab?

If it is then don't worry, you have one copy of 1Password 3 and one copy of 1Password 5 on your system.

If this is the case then it would suggest that you don't have the 1Password 3 browser extension installed anywhere and you can simply skip that section of the uninstall instructions. What I can reassure you is that only 1Password 3 uses the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ folder and it is not used by either 1Password 4 or 5. 1Password 4 was a complete re-write and as many of the support files and file structure changed we decided to create a completely separate support folder for it. When we released 1Password 5, as we were using the exact same files and file structure, we decided to leave 1Password 5 using the 1Password 4 support files. So even though you are running 1Password 5, the 1Password 4 is in use and where your current vault is stored.

So you can safely leave the 4.3.1 extension where it is the most current version of the 1Password 4/5 extension. As you don't have any versions of the extension for 1Password 3 it would seem you either removed them at an earlier point in time or maybe you didn't use the extension i.e. they were never installed. I would say you are safe to skip this part of the 1Password 3 uninstallation process and move onto the next.

Now if that screenshot isn't what you're seeing but instead it looks more like

Then Stephen is spot on and as an aside we do need to make sure that you have a single vault with everything in it. The reason is the AWS and MAS versions keep their files in separate locations (but neither use ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/) and it is possible your Login items have been split over two distinct vaults.

Once we hear back from you we'll be in a better position on how to move forward :smile:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

When I run the 1Password app, I do get the first screen shown above. I hope that will tell you which set of "next steps" I need to do. That is, the one that indicates that no extensions are installed.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

If you're seeing the first screenshot then that means the 1Password application is indeed 1Password 3 and basically as the browser extensions aren't installed you can safely skip that section of the 1Password 3 uninstall instructions and move onto the next part. The browser extension, while very useful wasn't a component installed into your browsers by default so it is possible you never used it. I myself never did get to try the 1Password 3 browser extension as I was one of those weird people that used a niche browser. The beauty of the manual steps for uninstalling 1Password 3 is if for any reason a single component is already removed you can skip that bit and move to the next without worrying.

So you'd skip the Removing the Browser Extensions section and now move onto Removing Scripting Addition.

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Now that we are past the browser extensions, I moved on, as follows:

1. The scripting additions: there was no such file on my system, so I concluded I could just skip that step also.
    2. I dragged the 1Password application to the Trash, leaving the 1Password 5 app in place.
    3. I dragged the 1Password folder into the Trash, leaving the 1Password 4 folder in place.
    4. The 1Password.agilekeychain - I do keep that in Dropbox. There is only one such file, and it is in use by 1P version 5, so I left that alone.
    5. All of the remaining steps were not applicable, because none of the files were present at the specified location: (Data file backups already in folder dragged to Trash, application preferences no files, log files no files, caches no files, Login items - none, LaunchAgent no files.

At this point, the only steps that have been performed are #2 and #3 above: dragging the 1Password app and 1Password folder to the Trash, and leaving the 1Password 5 app and 1Password 4 folder in place.

I will observe the Application Support folder for a while, to see that backups are as expected.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9 ,

Sounds to me like you should be all good to go. Please do let us know though if you notice anything out of the ordinary! :)

This discussion has been closed.