Create login, edit not intuitive anymore. Login name, username, password should be more prominent

New2AllThis
New2AllThis
Community Member
edited March 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

What's the deal? it was easy to add new login select (+) button, edit existing login (select browser add-in, select icon in menu next to login name that opened edit screen with username, password, name, other stuff to be edited, and a save button.

Now everything is so screwed up I can not understand how to add a simple login easily through the web browser (manually). Yes, the auto save is great, when it works. I'm not too worried about the auto save because you cannot help how the world builds their websites.

I just don't understand why change something that has worked well. What is the 'Save login' feature in the browser app menu next to 4 other options that use a check = on / no check =off. But the 'save login' initiates some action, but you don't know if the action happened or not, I guess if nothing happens, no login??????

I have been a customer for a number of years and have a license for windows & mac machine, IOS & IPAd machine.

I uploaded two screenshots. One from the add-on browser: chrome when I select 'Save login' ---Where are the fields for username/password?

Tags/folders are emphasized but I don't know if the username/password was saved correctly!!! In previous versions, if the correct username was not saved (typically happens when I sign-up or change password) I could easily have updated the record right there. Now, I have to go find it. And low and behold, there is no way to edit from the web browser. Now, I have to go open the desktop version and then find the record.

Then, I gotta search for the location of username/password. I think you may be forgetting the purpose of your product ttitled '1Password'. Why is the password and username hidden at the bottom of the window? Also, you can't easily tell that it is a field that is editable. Really, guys, this is a great product but stop making unnecessary changes, adding unnecessary complexity where it's not needed. Login name, username, password are the three most important fields in this product. Should they not be made prominent on the page?

Comments

• Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this, @New2AllThis.

I can see where you are coming from but I can also see the other side of the coin that having a clean UI is also very helpful. Placing all the saved form details on the autosave window itself would greatly increase the cognitive load when viewing this window.

You make an excellent point that it would be great to be able to edit without launching the main app and it would be nice to give the username and password more prominence within the UI as well.

• New2AllThis
    New2AllThis
    Community Member

thanks for the response. I guess I just see the username/password as more important than the tags/folder. Both I use but more so the username/password. And the previous version of the app provided a way to edit easily. In anycase, just my opinion.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@New2AllThis: Thanks for the feedback! I agree that it could be handy to streamline the process a bit. There is a lot to consider, but this is something that we will continue to think about, as there may be a way we can improve this in a future version. Cheers! :)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

I can not understand how to add a simple login easily through the web browser (manually)

1. Click on the 1Password button
    2. Unlock
    3. Click on: Settings > Save new Login

there is no way to edit from the web browser

1. Click on the 1Password button
    2. Unlock
    3. Hover your mouse cursor over a Login item
    4. Press Tab (or click the right mouse button)
    5. A new sub-menu appears
    6. Click on: "Open in 1Password"

Why is the password and username hidden at the bottom of the window?

In detail view, it is not hidden at the bottom of the window. In edit view, it is at the bottom of the window because that is where all your (web form) fields are. /cc @dteare

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@dteare

Placing all the saved form details on the autosave window itself would greatly increase the cognitive load when viewing this window.

True, but you could easily display the discovered username and password values along with an "edit" button which either presents the web form fields for editing in place, or launches the main app's edit window to allow field adjustment.

This way you can keep the streamlined workflow while giving the user the option to spot and correct mistakes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne: I think that's where he was going with that, but you summed it up quite well. Sort of a minimal interface 'at rest', but you can dig in for more detail if needed. Great feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.