1Password Backup over 14GB [Turned out there was a backup in the backup file causing a loop]

Options
gabechan
gabechan
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

My 1Password backup consistently is over 14GB, and I have tried numerous options. Even with the upgrade to 1Password4 I still have the same issue and the problem is that it fills up my SSD harddrive. Attached is a screenshot of backups in the past I have made.. Need some help! Backup was performed using version: 4.3.0.556

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@gabechan: I just want to give you a heads up in case you receive a notification: I deleted a duplicate thread you made, and I will just reply here. :)

But, yikes! Backup is important, but 14GB does seem bit excessive. Please take a look in 1Password File > Preferences > Backups and tell me what you have it set to. Mine is (I believe) still on the defaults, which are:

Perform a backup every: Day
    Number of backups to keep: 50

I currently have 43 zip files of ~600 items in my backup folder (\Documents\1Password\Backups) which only add up to 1.3GB total.

But given that the file size of your most recent backups are between 6 and 14 GB, it does not surprise me that they are taking up a lot of disk space! You've got less than 300 items there, so you must have some fairly large file attachments (or you may have inadvertently dropped some large files into the 1Password.agilekeychain folder itself). Please check to see if this is the case, because even at 300 items and 6GB total, that averages out to 20MB per item! Let me know what you find.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Open up one of zip files and have a look.
    My guess would be that you dropped a large file in the by mistake.

• MikeT
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @gabechan,

Richard and Brenty have a good point. If you accidentally dropped a large file or a folder not related to 1Password into your 1Password.agilekeychain data folder, it will get backed up.

Please do this:

1. Copy one of the most recent backup files to your desktop
    2. Rename the backup file to 1Password-backup.zip and then extract it
    3. Look inside the extracted folder, sort it by file size, and go into each subfolder.

Let us know what you found and we can tell you if it is one of 1Password files and if you can move it.

PS: I have a ~9000 items database with ~90 attachments and even that is only 100mb in size.

• gabechan
    gabechan
    Community Member
    Options

hi everyone, thanks for the quick response. Good catch! There were a number of 1Password backup files inside the > 1Password.agilekeychain data folder which were getting backed up. So it looks like I was getting a backup of other backups.

Just did a clean-up and a backup.. the file is now 7MB! Appreciate the support, I love the app and use it on my iPhone, iPad and desktop!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@gabechan: Whoa. Thanks for the update! That would certainly explain it. It sounds like...we almost lost you to a recursive backup backing itself up nightmare scenario, but I'm glad you were able to cut infinity down to a more manageable size.

Thanks for the kind words. We're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.