Password item fields

Incosistency between mac, windows, iphone
I couldn't find another thread on this, so here goes.

When I create a new "Password Item" in 1Password on my mac (Version 3.5.4.BETA-6 (build 30838)) I can subsequently edit the item and add text in the field title "Notes".
I found out today (when I was away from my mac) that I could NOT see the field in either the Windows version (v1.0.2.155) or the iPhone version (v3.5.5 Pro).

This stopped me at the time as the Firefox plugin I generated the password for also used an encryption key that I had stored in the Notes field!

In fact, the "Accounts" section that this password is stored under in Mac is not even shown in the windows version. On the Mac it's listed under vault as "Accounts", on the iPhone as "Passwords" and on Windows, not shown.

See attached screenshots for the differences between mac, windows, iphone.

Is this expected behavior of 1Password for windows?

Comments

• lantrix
    lantrix
    Community Member
    I turned on Beta versions, and updated to latest Beta, and now accounts appears in the sidebar on the Windows version.
    However my test entry still is missing the Notes?
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    lantrix wrote:

When I create a new "Password Item" in 1Password on my mac (Version 3.5.4.BETA-6 (build 30838)) I can subsequently edit the item and add text in the field title "Notes".
    I found out today (when I was away from my mac) that I could NOT see the field in either the Windows version (v1.0.2.155)

On Windows, "generated password" items do not have notes because these items are generated automatically when you use our strong password generator. Your actual login items are NOT in this "generated passwords" section, but in the "logins" section.

The reason we're storing generated passwords in this "generated passwords" section is because the user might accidentally cancel our auto-save prompt, and then not create a new login item (hereby potentially loosing the newly generated password).

Whenever you need to store passwords, my advice is to store them in the "logins" section (not the "generated passwords" section). The login items in the "logins" section do have notes.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    The term "generated passwords" refers only to the passwords you create using the built-in Strong Password Generator.

As far as I know, Generated Password items always appear here:
    • in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows: in the Generated Passwords category
    • in the 1Password apps on an iPhone or iPod touch: in the Passwords list (name shortened to conserve space)
    • in the 1Password apps on an iPad: not listed (possibly to be addressed in a future release)

I hope that clears things up.
This discussion has been closed.