Can I rename my primary vault?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member

My primary vault is currently called 1Password.agilekeychain.

Can I safely rename the 1Password part to my first name?

Or will that break sync to iOS/Windows?

(I would like to do that since all "secondary" vaults already use the first name of the person whose info is in that vault)

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

You can change the name of that keychain file in Dropbox, but keep in mind that in the 1Password app on Mac and iOS, the Primary vault will always be named "Primary" regardless of the name of the keychain file in Dropbox.

If you'd like to rename that file, you'll need to first disable sync for that vault on Mac and iOS, and close the 1Password program on Windows. You can follow these steps:

On Windows:

• Make sure 1Password for Windows is not running.

On iOS:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Vaults.
    • Tap the 'i' icon to the right of the Primary vault.
    • Select Sync Service > Disable Sync, and confirm you want to disable it.
    • Double-click the Home button and swipe up on the 1Password app to close it.

On Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then choose your Primary vault on the left side of the Sync options.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None, then click Disable Sync (do not choose to delete the data from Dropbox).

Now you can rename the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox to something else (but make sure it still has the .agilekeychain extension). Then you can re-enable Dropbox sync for your Primary vault in 1Password for Mac and iOS, making sure to choose the newly-renamed keychain. On Windows, open 1Password and go to File > Open 1Password Vault, then choose your keychain file in Dropbox.

If you have any questions about that, please let us know! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Instructions are clear.

However, if the name stays "Primary" in the App there is not that much sense in renaming the file in Dropbox, I think. I'll reconsider my plans...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @XIII,

I had a feeling you wanted to see the name change in the app itself, which is why I mentioned that. I'm sorry there's no option to change that! But I figured I would also give you the steps to change the keychain name in Dropbox, just in case you still wanted to do that. ;)

If you need anything else, we're always happy to help!

• Luds
    Luds
    Community Member
    Options

This is ABSOLUTELY brilliant !!! Thank you to Drew @Drew_AG for this very helpful and comprehensive tutorial, for something I have wanted to do for long. Personally the "Primary" name is good for me on Windows to differentiate with the other vaults, and that way back on the Mac it maches the "Primary" name as well. Perfect. THANKS again :-) :p ;)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

I'm so glad that Drew was able to help you out.

If you have any other questions about 1Password, we're here for you! :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Luds,

I'm so glad that Drew was able to help you out.

If you have any other questions about 1Password, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.