Code Signature Not Verified [moved to email; possible conflict with anti-virus software]

Options
dwilk8300
dwilk8300
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Browser signature not verified. Mac using 10.10.3. Using: 1Password Version 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store. I have reinstalled the OS X. Reinstalled the Safari extension. Worked for one day. Now back to the same problem.

Comments

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    Options

Browser signature not verified. Mac using 10.10.3. Using: 1Password Version 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store. I have reinstalled the OS X. Reinstalled the Safari extension. Worked for one day. back to the same problem.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwilk8300,

Can you check for us please if you have any outstanding updates connected to OS X in the Updates tab of the App Store application. If there are it is probably worth installing them and rebooting for good measure.

If that isn't the case can you quickly check in Safari > About Safari as to the version you're running please. I'm running Version 8.0.5 (10600.5.17) and 1Password Safari extension version 4.3.1. it's been well behaved with me since I installed 5.3 earlier in the week.

If you're comfortable doing so, the output of this Terminal command could maybe prove useful too.

codesign -dvvv /Applications/Safari.app/

On my machine it prints out the following:

Executable=/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Identifier=com.apple.Safari
    Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
    CodeDirectory v=20100 size=225 flags=0x0(none) hashes=3+5 location=embedded
    Hash type=sha1 size=20
    CDHash=c4cdffaaf7661cb665432f85192615f5148fa666
    Signature size=4097
    Authority=Software Signing
    Authority=Apple Code Signing Certification Authority
    Authority=Apple Root CA
    Info.plist entries=36
    TeamIdentifier=not set
    Sealed Resources version=2 rules=15 files=525
    Internal requirements count=1 size=64

I'm just trying to think of reasons why it would be complaining on your machine when it's fine for me. Hopefully something in there might give us a clue.

While we're trying to figure this out, does changing the following preference option help at all? Enter 1Password's preferences, switch to the Advanced tab and disable Verify browser code signature. This is just a temporary measure to try and get 1Password running again in the meanwhile.

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have no app updates. I disabled "Verify browser code signature" and it works fine. When re-enabled I get the same error message. I ran the terminal command you suggested and got the identical readout as follows:

Executable=/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
    Identifier=com.apple.Safari
    Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
    CodeDirectory v=20100 size=225 flags=0x0(none) hashes=3+5 location=embedded
    Hash type=sha1 size=20
    CDHash=c4cdffaaf7661cb665432f85192615f5148fa666
    Signature size=4097
    Authority=Software Signing
    Authority=Apple Code Signing Certification Authority
    Authority=Apple Root CA
    Info.plist entries=36
    TeamIdentifier=not set
    Sealed Resources version=2 rules=15 files=525
    Internal requirements count=1 size=64

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    Options

PS. I am running the identical Safari version and !Password Safari extension version.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unfortunately @dwilk8300 we've reach the limit of my understanding of the browser code signature so I'll have to ask others. Now it is the weekend so it might be I can't get hold of anybody before the Monday but let's see if anybody is around :smile:

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you! I'm terrified of using the laptop as I am now concerned it may have been hacked.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwilk8300,

I haven't encountered any cases where a hacked system has been responsible for the code signature verification error you're seeing, but do understand your concern. While resolving this, you can temporarily limit 1Password extension usage to sites where you're not filling/saving important personal data. Or create the Demo vault (see PRO TIP at the end of the Create a new vault guide) and use items from it during troubleshooting/testing.

Here are a few things from the troubleshooting checklist for resolving “code signature could not be verified” that could help:

4. Do you use a firewall or a tool such as Sophos? Security software can interfere with the web socket connection and can cause the verification process to fail.

5. It also doesn’t hurt to try simply restarting your Mac. We’ve seen a few cases where that resolved things.

If you're running Sophos, its configuration might have been modified when you reinstalled OS X. That's been known to sometimes happen after OS X updates.

Have you tried using the 1Password extension in Chrome or Firefox to see if the error also occurs there?

Another thing to try:

• Temporarily disable browser code signature verification.
    • Test the 1Password extension in Safari, with impersonal (e.g. Demo vault) items.
    • Re-enable browser code signature verification, restart your Mac, then retest Safari's extension.

If none of that helps, please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. Feel free to leave a short comment here letting us know you've sent it, then we'll be able to isolate what's causing the error and get it resolved more quickly. Thanks in advance!

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    Options

I don't use Sophos ... I do use Dr. Web but that has no firewall. It has never caused a problem in several years of joint use. I did try disabling the program but no success. I get the same result when using Firefox. I can manually enter usernames and passwords but when attempting to enter via 1Password I get the error pop up. I did go through all of the suggested steps from the website.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @dwilk8300.

I'm not familiar with Dr. Web, but there's reason to suspect it's responsible for the error with Safari especially since you're getting the same result with Firefox. Sometimes fully removing certain anti-virus software that interferes with 1Password is necessary when configuration is impossible and disabling it hasn't helped. Before suggesting that we'd first like to take a look at a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, if you'd like to send that in, and check for anything else that might be the cause. Or you could go ahead and uninstall Dr. Web right away, at least temporarily, if you want to see if that makes a difference.

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I will try a complete uninstall of the program ... reboot and see if that is of any help. There have been no changes to the program in nearly a year so, intuitively, that would not seem to be a source of conflict ... however, more than wiling to give it a try. I have sent the email with the diagnostic zip. Again, thank you for your continued attempts to be of help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Got your email with the report. Thanks, @dwilk8300.

Let's switch this discussion over to email now where I'm happy to continue helping you get this resolved. :)

ref: NWZ-63967-713

• dwilk8300
    dwilk8300
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dwilk8300,

As we're either now (or will be shortly) communicating with you I'm going to go ahead and close this thread but if you have any further questions or issues please do post.

This discussion has been closed.