1st page missing text when printing long Secure Note

ra2
ra2
Community Member

In 1Password 5:

1Password 5
Version 5.1 (510035)
Agile Web Store

...I would like to print one of my secure notes. The note is very long. When I click on the share icon just under the title of the note in the 1Password window and select "Print", the print preview pane slides down and shows me the first page (1 of 10). But all that is on the first page is the note title and "Secure Note" next to the note icon--the remainder of the first page is blank. Text on page 2 begins as if page 1 had contained the expected text. So all of the text that should have appeared on page 1 is missing. When I actually print the note, the text is still missing--the preview was accurate.

There is also a minor problem in printing: some text lines are split between pages, with the top half of the letters appearing at the bottom of a page and the bottom half of the letters in the row appearing at the top of the following page. But the missing first page is a bigger problem.

My other notes do not seem to have this problem, but they are all much shorter.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ra2,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! You're right, on longer Secure Notes, something is definitely up with printing. I've passed this issue along to our developers, we'll do what we can to get this sorted out.

ref: OPM-2810

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member

I am pretty much seeing the same issues and I understand that Agilebits is too. A large chunk of text missing from what would be expected to print on the first page. Also, line endings are sometimes lost, say when you've started a new section via a couple of blank lines. This is a serious problem but I think printing in general needs some improvement so you have the option of printing the currently selected item via File > Print versus Item > Share > Print.

There are apparently other users that have actually lost their Secure Notes data, which is a much more significant issue. That in itself would cause me to look at another password application so I'll check into that some more.

Reason for my printing selected items? To place the printed output in my safe deposit box.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Hi @ag1pwun,

I'm sorry you're also experiencing the problem with printing a Secure Note! I'll gladly add your feedback to the ticket for this issue.

As for losing Secure Notes data, there's currently a UI glitch which may cause some text in a Secure Note to become temporarily invisible, but it isn't lost. (I'm not sure if that's the issue you're referring to or not.) I believe our developers have solved that issue, although I don't know when an update including that fix will be available.

If you're talking about a different issue (and especially if you've run into a problem with lost data yourself) please let us know! If it's something we're not already aware of, we would of course want to look into that and fix it as soon as possible. Thanks!

ref: OPM-2127

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member

Drew, yes I am referring to the text becoming temporarily invisible. At the time I encountered the symptoms I wasn't able to determine that the text was apparently still intact. Obviously it's serious enough for many users to want to hold off on editing a note until this is remedied.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ag1pwun,

We do have some bugs to address in relation to Secure Notes and the developers are aware. It isn't meant as an excuse but all the bugs seem to be connected to long notes where we've clearly missed a step. I suspect they're usage wasn't anticipated. Hopefully these bugs will be addressed soon.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member

Unfortunately, the missing first page text is still a problem in Mac version 5.3.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ag1pwun,

Sadly you're correct. While we managed to fix a number of Secure Note related bugs, we ran out of time to look into addressing the print issue. I do apologise about that. We haven't forgotten about it, the bug report is still present and awaiting developer time to fix. The entire printing option could probably use a bit of an overhaul. For the moment though, it would seem you are limited to copying the text over into another application for printing purposes until we can push a fix out. Sorry :(

This discussion has been closed.