iOS - TouchID for one vault, regular logincode for another vault?

Options
Stokkie833
Stokkie833
Community Member

Hi,

I started using password a while ago and i am very happy with it. It's a bit annoying that i can't sync via iCloud unless i re-purchase
1password again but this time through the App Store. (i have read your explanation why)

For the rest i am very please with it!

However i just miss one thing. My girlfriend can unlock my iPhone with one of her fingers as she practically begged me to enable it for her :-)
so i had to setup TouchID with 4 of my fingers and one of hers. This means, we both can unlock my iPhone.

Well, that's nice and dandy and all, but if i enable TouchID within 1password, she can also see all my passwords. Although i have no secrets, i
was wondering if it is possible (or will be in the future!) to setup TouchID for one or more vaults while on others the regular keypad-login style can be enabled.

So, if my gf or me unlocks 1password with TouchID, only the vaults for which it TouchID was setup are visible. The others aren't.
And if i unlock through the keypad, i can only see the non-TouchID-setup vaults. Or make it so that you can use a checkbox or something
on each vault to direct which can be seen / usable for a login-method.

I'm pretty sure that apple has designed it so that 1password cannot distinguish between which finger is used to i won't go there...

I have searched but not found anyone asking for this or talking about this. So, i am wondering, can it be done and if so and it isn't yet implemented,
are there plans to do so in the future? I think 1password would be 100% what i need when this is implemented!

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Chris

Comments

• You are right in that iOS apps are not able to distinguish touches, and they aren't allowed to specify which fingers to detect either.

As for your request, currently the app workflow is designed so that you have a master vault and secondary vaults, and that you only need one password (hence the name), so it can not be done today. However, I can submit a request to allow you to specify a secondary vault on the lock screen and enter a password for that. I can not promise when and if it will be implemented, but it will be considered.

ref: OPI-2335

• Stokkie833
    Stokkie833
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Hayesk,

Thanks for the reply and your willingness to help. To be honest i would eagerly want the functionality that i described and the 'maybe possible solution' you talk about is only half of the functionality i would like. Thanks for considering it though!

I am a consultant / developer for Microsoft Dynamics AX and we build functionality like the one i asked about on a regular basis. (not touchID off course, but you get my drift). I am seriously hoping that Agilebits would like to implement it.

For sure i would be willing to help think about it, test it etc. etc. as i think 1password is a great app as it is already. Just needs a little bit more...oompf :-)

Also i am dutch, but speak/write german and english as well. If needed i could also help you with that.

• Hi @Stokkie833 ,

You're right, I missed part of the requested functionality. I've linked this conversation to the request, so that it all will be considered.

• Everett
    Everett
    Community Member
    Options

I came to ask for the same feature. I have a slightly different reason, though I also have one fingerprint from my wife in TouchID and I didn't even think about that. My reason is that I don't fully trust TouchID with the keys to my kingdom, so to speak, since (1) my finger prints are all over the device and (2) someone could force my finger into the scanner. So I figure having a list of passwords that are lower security that TouchID can get at would work.

From a UI perspective, I remember earlier versions where there was a PIN and a master password where you log in with the PIN but cannot see the high security entries without being prompted for the master password. You could still show the password field on the lock screen but if the user uses TouchID then it only unlocks the less secure half of the vault. Internally it would have to be two vaults to really be secure I think.

Thanks for all your awesome work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Everett: Interesting! This is definitely a neat idea that I never would have though of myself (since my wife and I share thumbprints on our devices to avoid entering our crazy unlock codes!)

We may be able to implement more granularity for vaults' (or even items') Master Password / Unlock Code / Touch ID in a future version. Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add this feature! :)

This discussion has been closed.