Difference Between iPad and Pro Versions?

dkaye
dkaye
Community Member
I want to buy 1Password for my wife's iPad. What's the difference between the iPad-only version ($9.99) and the multi-device Pro version ($14.99)? The website doesn't help me decide which one to buy.

Comments

• I was told that the only difference in the Pro version is that its a universal app that you can use both on your iPhone and iPad (so if you don't have an iphone you can save some cash and just by the ipad version. But if you have both - then its slightly cheaper to buy the pro version and install it on both devices).

Tim
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Tim, you are exactly correct.

Thanks!
  • Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited January 2011
    Do the two versions have different development cycles? They have different version #'s and revision dates...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    They don't have different development cycles since they literally are the same code. What you are seeing is the iTunes App Store Approval Process Time Differential for iOS Devices (Now with iOS 4 Support!).

That is to say: we submit the apps at the same time, but they are not necessarily approved at the same time. :S
  • Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    edited January 2011
    ^ I just checked the App Store to make sure. 1Password Pro is at 3.5.5, and it lists new features that the iPad-only version - which is still at 3.5.4 - does not, apparently, have:

- Disabled autocorrect when editing concealed wallet and account fields.
    - Made sure all password fields are concealed in the detail view.
    - Fixed problem losing support email when multitasking.
    - Fixed several application crashes.
    - Other minor changes and improvements.

Does this mean that the iPad-only version will be updated to 3.5.5 and gain these features?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Yes.

We submit the apps at the same time, but they are not necessarily approved at the same time.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
  • Well now I feel kinda robbed. I bought the $14.99 version and if the versions are the same, then it was a total waste of $5.

That sucks out loud.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Once again, 1Password Pro is our universal app that works on all your iOS devices. 1Password for iPhone and 1Password for iPad are our device-specific apps. I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

1Password Pro = 1Password for iPhone + 1Password for iPad

Purchasing the device-specific apps is identical to purchasing the Pro app. They are functionally identical. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch and an iPad, you save money by purchasing the Pro app (which is our attempt to get around the lack of bundle pricing in the iTunes App Store).
  • MikeT
    edited February 2011

^ I just checked the App Store to make sure. 1Password Pro is at 3.5.5, and it lists new features that the iPad-only version - which is still at 3.5.4 - does not, apparently, have:

- Disabled autocorrect when editing concealed wallet and account fields.
    - Made sure all password fields are concealed in the detail view.
    - Fixed problem losing support email when multitasking.
    - Fixed several application crashes.
    - Other minor changes and improvements.

Does this mean that the iPad-only version will be updated to 3.5.5 and gain these features?
    Those changes are for the iPhone version only and because 1Password Pro includes the iPhone code, it was updated to 3.5.5 along with the iPhone version. We haven’t made any changes to the iPad version and so, it will remain at 3.5.4.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for following up on that, Mike. I had not paid careful enough attention to the post.

My apologies, Mr. Laser Beam.
  • I bought 1Password Pro and installed it on my iPhone, but I can't get it to install on my iPad 2. Are there any tricks I've missed?
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    flashgo wrote:

I bought 1Password Pro and installed it on my iPhone, but I can't get it to install on my iPad 2. Are there any tricks I've missed?

Hello flashgo and welcome to the Forums!

I'm sorry you're having an issue installing IP Pro on your iPad 2.

Are you installing 1P Pro as a direct download from the App Store or by synching with iTunes on your desktop?

What happens when you attempt to install 1P? Does the icon start the install process and hang? If not, please let us know what you are seeing (or not seeing).

Once when installing 1P on my iPad 1, the installation progress seemed to freeze. I rebooted and everything was installed just fine. IP Pro Installation Hang on IPad

Based on past experience, I would first do the following:

Try a hard reset of your iPad by simultaneously holding down the Home button and the Power/Sleep button until you are given the option to shut down.

After your device restarts, attempt to install 1P Pro again.

Please reply with your results: good or bad. If it doesn't work, a solution will be figured out.

Cheers!

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you are still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, you will be able to re-download the current version directly from the App Store on your device for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Another thing you can do to make sure that you won't have to pay for the app again is to try adding it to your Wish List in iTunes on your computer. If you already own the app, iTunes will tell you, "You have already purchased this item" and that you cannot add it to your Wish List.
  • Thanks, Guys, I buy apps under 2 different iTunes accounts. Even though 1P was bought under the account that I have set as the default on my iPad and my Mac, it wouldn't load onto the iPad. Other apps in the same circumstance loaded fine.

The solution was to "register" both iTunes accounts on the computer I use to sync the iPad. (I hadn't realized that was possible, but it is.) All's fine now. I'm using & syncing 1P across a Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Terrific!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update! I am glad everything worked out. :-D

Cheers,
  • lost in space
    lost in space
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for the update! I am glad everything worked out. :-D

Cheers,

Thanks for the info about the I-Phone Pro package I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to download to the phone until I just went ahead like i was going to buy it again and was told i already bought it and did i want to download it again for free?

Apple is very ambiguous here about how to do this?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the info about the I-Phone Pro package I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to download to the phone until I just went ahead like i was going to buy it again and was told i already bought it and did i want to download it again for free?

Apple actually just improved this a few short hours ago. It was announced during the WWDC 2011 keynote. Now you can view a list of apps you already purchased right on your iOS device. Open the App Store and tap on "Updates" in the bottom right corner. Then tap "Purchased" then "Not On This iPhone." You will see a list of all the apps you have already purchased on another device or computer which you can download for free to your current device. Neat!

20110607-em15tnyia63b4rb26u7c7udmk5.png

In fact, it is even better than that. Now if you purchase an app from the iTunes App Store on any computer or device, it will automatically be "pushed" to your other devices. Buy 1Password Pro on your iPad and you will see it on your iPhone. Hassle free. ;-)

We have our ups and downs, but right now I am madly in love with Apple. That was a great keynote.
This discussion has been closed.