1PW5 won't fill.

Options
Craig5
Craig5
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1PW3 to 1PW5, which worked fine for a couple of weeks but has become very erratic. Today it fills almost none of the 100+ web passwords I have saved, either automatically or from the mini. One time it gave me an error message on reopening:

"The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.
Instead of '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '~/Downloads/1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.
Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac."

I deleted all the files in /Downloads/ and restarted 1PW5 (there was a copy of 1PW5 there) but no change after deletion.
A Spotlight search for 1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems comes up blank.

I have only one copy of 1PW5 in Applications: 1Password 5, Version 5.1 (510035)
I'm using Chrome extension 4.2.5.90 and have deleted it and replaced it twice.

I have rebooted multiple times.

Suggestions?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Do you by chance have a backup drive mounted on your system? Could there be a copy of 1Password there? If this applies, you are getting the "benefit" of an Yosemite bug that apparently searches rather too widely for the mini and can start a wrong copy. The advice given here, if this does apply, is to exclude 1Password from backups and to delete any stored copies on the backup drive. Then restart your system and see if 1Password behaves then.

If there aren't any extra copies anywhere in reach, if I were in your situation, I would close 1Password and mini by going to the 1Password 5 menu and hold down the control key, then select the option at the very bottom, which will show that you are closing both. Then drag the application to the trash. DO NOT use any sort of application cleaner, or you risk also deleting your data. That won't happen if you just trash the application. Then empty the trash and restart your Mac. Download a fresh copy of the application and install it.

Let us know if this works for you.

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

No backup drives - I do periodic backups to portable HDs and neither is connected. I will trash and reinstall this evening.

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I reinstalled, and the results are not pretty. The following sites always fill (and submit if appropriate) when initiated from either the app and the extension:
    Gmail, HealthGrades, Lowe's, Naviance, Travelocity, Expedia, Walmart, Yahoo Mail.

These do not fill or submit from either the app or the extension:
    Hertz, American Airlines, Delta, southwest airlines, Hulu, iCloud, LinkedIn, Netflix, New York Times, TripIt, Tunein.com

VUDU fills only the username but not the password (this predates my problem and may be site-specific, perhaps due to flash on the site itself).

The following sites fill only from the extension, not the app:
    GoTrack, Amazon, Bank of America, Marriott, Orbitz, Epic, Apple Store, Zagg

The bizarre and scary site is Vanguard. It fills sometimes from the app and almost always from the extension for my personal account. But this is the scary part: my son's Vanguard username is currently just a placeholder, a "0". Activating that card in the app navigates to the appropriate site, fills my wife's username (not listed on my son's Vanguard card) and has no password.

The app no longer asks to save new passwords. "Automatically ask to save new logins" is checked in preferences.

New logins sometime save and sometimes do not.

What is my next step?

I am working from a 6 year old iMac that has a new solid state hard drive, a clean install of Yosemite and all my other software works perfectly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Craig5,

Can I ask a couple of questions please.

1. On this iMac, do you have multiple user accounts and do you use Fast User Switching?
    2. As a Chrome user, do you make use of the multiple profiles functionality Chrome has?
    3. Have you at any point removed all copies of 1Password and the extension at the same time?
    4. Can you replicate the extension issues in Safari? I'm not suggesting you change browsers, this is merely a troubleshooting step.

With Login items that can fill from the extension and not the app, how does the URL you have stored in the website field compare to the URL for the exact page to log in? Lets take Amazon as an example.

The main page is http://www.amazon.com but the login page is https://www.amazon.com/ap/signin?encoding=UTF8&openid.assoc_handle=usflex&openid.claimed_id=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&openid.identity=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0%2Fidentifier_select&openid.mode=checkid_setup&openid.ns=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0&openid.ns.pape=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fextensions%2Fpape%2F1.0&openid.pape.max_auth_age=0&openid.return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fcss%2Fhomepage.html%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref%3Dnav_yam_ya

If you use open and fill and have http://www.amazon.com as the stored URL it won't be able to log you in. If you have the latter it should work.

For Login items that don't fill in from either the main app or the extension, if you follow our Saving a Login Manually guide for one does the new Login item work any better the the original?

So we've only addressed some of the issues there but that's a few questions and we can keep working at the list until we've gotten everything resolved.

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

Responses:

On this iMac, do you have multiple user accounts and do you use Fast User Switching? No to both.
    As a Chrome user, do you make use of the multiple profiles functionality Chrome has? No.
    Have you at any point removed all copies of 1Password and the extension at the same time? Yes.
    Can you replicate the extension issues in Safari? I'm not suggesting you change browsers, this is merely a troubleshooting step.

When I made safari my primary browser and installed the safari extension, 1PW5 filled every one of the failed logins I tried, without a failure. I did not have to change any login pages in 1PW5 to get them to fill.

Safari also appropriately allows 1PW to request ifI want to save a new login. The Vanguard problem is still there, making me wonder if that is totally unrelated.

I do prefer Chrome, but not enough to give up my password program. Can I fix it?

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

So it was pretty obvious - I needed to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it. The first attempt had no effect, but then I also trashed the Google library file, emptied the trash and rebooted... The second reinstall seems to be doing the job, but time will tell. Thanks to all for your help! Craig

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @craig5,

Sorry we didn't reply earlier but it sounds like you've discovered the solution with no assistance.

So it seems something was messed up in your Chrome profile then if starting over with a fresh profile resolved many of the issues. I have to confess, I know a corrupted profile can result in the extension not installing properly but your experiences are a new one. I'm glad you came to the forums because it's useful information for us to know.

I'm assuming the Vanguard issue is still ongoing. What I would probably recommend is creating a new Login item to replace the old one. I notice we have a page specifically relating to Vanguard so it might be worth following that, Creating a Vanguard Login.

Let us know if that improves the situation at all.

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

I deleted the Vanguard login. It's all good now, except one item. I still have to save new logins manually, in spite of having "Automatically ask to save new logins" turned on. After the reinstall Chrome asked (until I turned it off) but 1P hasn't.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Craig5,

I'm glad things have improved!

For the problem with not being prompted to save new Logins, I believe you said it worked correctly in Safari, so it sounds like the issue is just happening in Chrome? In that case, you can try installing the latest beta version of the 1Password extension in Chrome to see if it helps. To install the beta extension:

You may need to restart Chrome after that. Does the beta extension make any difference?

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

The beta works great for saving logins and always asks appropriately. I still intermittently have problems with logins that won't fill from the desktop app, though. Interestingly, they seem to fill and load immediately from the keyboard shortcut, but it is intermittent and I need to work with it some more. I'm going to try reloading Chrome, but I'm almost ready to go to Safari. I'm not seeing a lot of speed difference these days between the two.

• MaryWWW8
    MaryWWW8
    Community Member
    Options

I am so discouraged I'm about to give up on this "new" Password ....
    I've had a license for YEARS....finally figured out that I was REQUIRED to purchase something NEW or I could not longer use the product. After endless "do - loops" I've downloaded something but I think it's the WRONG product. I don't want Vault. I don't even under stand what VAULT is.
    I just wanted to upgrade to the required minimal purchase for Mac.
    I don't want my passwords in the cloud. I don't want them on my phone. I don't want them anywhere except where they are....on my laptop.
    Is there anyone out there who can look at my account and tell me what I had originally ? What did I purchase?
    How do I delete whatever I purchased and just get the MINIMAL upgrade for Mac ?
    I may be leaving this Agilbits....I was one of the early users. Now I don't even know what they're talking about. I just keep clicking and downloading and clicking and downloading and then don't know who to load the program and then it doesn't recognize my e-mail and tells me it's not me. Geezzeee....I'm worn out and giving up.
    Can I talk to a human OFF LINE ? Does this have to be conducted in public where I won't understand what you're telling me anyway ?
    m

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MaryWWW8,

I think you're correct and I suspect you have purchased something you didn't intend to.

There is 1Password, our primary piece of software and designed to help users use unique and complex passwords at each site etc. where they need a password. That's the one you've been using for a while. The good news is you're currently licensed to run whatever version of that you wish to. You originally purchased 1Password 3 in 2010 and then upgraded in 2013. You currently have a licence to run anything between 1Password 3-5.

• 1Password 5 requires OS X 10.10 AKA Yosemite
    • 1Password 4 required OS X 10.8 AKA Mountain Lion or 10.9 AKA Mavericks
    • 1Password 3 is for older versions of OS X

Any of these are available to download from our AgileBits Download page and after I post this I shall resend your licence to you. Please note that if you are a gmail user there is an issue when trying to view the email.

For 1Password 4/5 you will need to download your licence file from a link in the email and it should look a little like this:

1Password 5 for Mac

Name: littlebobbytables

Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads

Register: With 1Password downloaded, click here to automatically add your license

Notes:

No link? Link not working? View the complete installation steps.

Obviously I've stripped out the last two links as those are unique to the licensee. If you're viewing the email from within googlemail at all you may very well find the second URL is stripped out - thank you gmail :\

The second or third link though should allow you to download your licence file so while we haven't attached the licence file, the information needed to obtain it should be contained within.

If you're still having troubles post back here and we can look into it more for you.

Now, to your more recent purchase. It seems you recently purchased a copy of Knox. Knox is a program for managing encrypted disk images, imagine it as a safe way to store files like you might otherwise use a folder on your computer. Regarding this purchase, if you can just post here saying you would like a refund on the mistakenly purchase Knox I'll do that for you straight away (as will any of our team if they get to it first).

• Craig5
    Craig5
    Community Member
    Options

Here is some extended followup on my original issue. Even with the beta version, when I used Chrome I continued to have problems, so eventually I just changed my browser preference to Safari, which works perfectly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Craig5,

I'm sorry to hear you've felt compelled to switch browsers. While I may not be a big fan of Chrome myself I certainly wouldn't expect people to switch unless they wanted to, a bit like myself when I decided Opera was no longer the browser it once was and I need to pick a new one.

I know we're working on at least one bug specific to the Chrome browser, which relates to open and fill but your issues seem to be more extensive than simply one problem. Hopefully if you ever decide to revisit Chrome in the future we'll have a more Safari-like performance where things work perfectly. Until then I hope you find Safari a good substitute.

This discussion has been closed.