Converting item types

Hi,

I'm fairly new to 1password and am just finding my way around.

When I imported my items from my old password manager they all ended up as login items. It would be more appropriate for some of the items to be account items (for example). I was expecting to be able to select an item and have an option (e.g. via a right click) to convert it to another item type. Unless I am missing something, that does not seem to be possible. I am resorting to copying details from login items into a text file and then pasting this into new account items before finally deleting the login item. Quite laborious and tedious.

So, my question is, am I missing something?

Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    omzaz, welcome to the forum!

You're not missing anything, but 1Password currently is: the ability to "move" items from one vault to another. The vaults represent item types, and in the current implementation, different item types have very different characteristics, so we're not able to change an item's type—it's integral to its definition.

We do plan to improve this situation and add various customization options in future releases of all our 1Password products, but there's no information about exactly what features might be implemented, how they might work, or when they become available.

We apologize for inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Related note: 1Password for Windows currently imports only Logins. I hope that will change in a future release, as well.
  • Also need similar feature.

I have imported about 3 thousands of non-login data (SW licenses, notes & etc.). I understand that not possible to convert all data automatically, but usual preserving off all text data and changing Type to Wallet/Software/Note will be very useful.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, EIKA, and thanks for your comment!
  • EIKA
    edited July 2011
    Dear Agile guys,

Please do something. I need to convert about 300 items (from my 800). They are now all Logins, but I need to convert about one third to other types. I understand that it's not possible to do that correctly and automatically, but usual transfer all fields (excluding Title) to Notes will be extremely helpful. But Title is always Title. You can add it as experimental/engineering mode (e.g. by running 1P with some key or by holding e.g. ALT). Or you can do some tool to convert. Just to do not add this not completely useful function/do not show it for dummies.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2011
    EIKA wrote:

Please do something. I need to convert about 300 items (from my 800). They are now all Logins, but I need to convert about one third to other types. I understand that it's not possible to do that correctly and automatically, but usual transfer all fields (excluding Title) to Notes will be extremely helpful. But Title is always Title.

EIKA, we're doing plenty. I'm sorry if the fact that we haven't yet implemented all the features you've requested makes it seem like we're not.

As stated above:

1Password currently is [missig] the ability to "move" items from one vault to another. The vaults represent item types, and in the current implementation different item types have very different characteristics, so we're not able to change an item's type—it's integral to its definition.

We do plan to improve this situation and add various customization options in future releases of all our 1Password products, but there's no information about exactly what features might be implemented, how they might work, or when they become available.

We apologize for inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

You can add it as experimental/engineering mode (e.g. by running 1P with some key or by holding e.g. ALT). Or you can do some tool to convert. Just to do not add this not completely useful function/do not show it for dummies.

It isn't that we think it can't be done or that we don't know how to release features, but that it would require a major redesign and simultaneous release of all our 1Password products for all the platforms on which they're available, and that's no small undertaking for a team the size of ours.

Note: In recent forum posts, you've referred to some of our customers as "dummies." It may be just a language thing, EIKA, but it's certainly not how we think of any of you.
This discussion has been closed.