Cannot login into my account on my laptop

Options
Monica Peverini
Monica Peverini
Community Member

I receipved my boss old computer (macbook Air) and he uses 1Password. He deleted it from the old computer and asked me to download it again (FRESH) and get a new account with you in order for him to share his vault with me. NO issues, except when I try to log into the 1Password, I get an error that my password is incorrect? I'm thinking its still identifying his old master password.. I cannot seem to figure out how to switch it to me, in order for me to log into my own account. Thoughts? resolutions? HELP!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Monica Peverini,

There might be a small misunderstanding of how 1Password works going on. Customers can purchase a licence directly from us that allows them to run 1Password without any restrictions. The licence is though is independent of the vault concept.

So we can show you how to start over with our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide but if your boss wants to share his single primary vault with you then it sounds like all he would have to do is supply his Master Password, thus allowing access to the existing vault. If he wants to share a secondary vault then the starting over guide is exactly what you would need.

Now licences aren't transferable and while our standard licence attempts to be generous in terms of families it doesn't really apply to work colleagues. It might be the company has a number of business seats which covers you but if not then I'd be remiss if I didn't gently guide you towards our store. For more on our licensing, here is a link to our AgileBits Software Licences page.

Just to recap, licences are separate from vaults, which is how you can have up to six family members using a single licence with individual vaults (sharing optional).

Now depending on how you might want to use 1Password there are a number of possible arrangements with regards to vaults. You might want your own primary vault, independent of whatever your boss might wish to share or whatever vault he intends to share might be all you need. If you're having any troubles at all getting this set up please let us know what you would like as the result and we will do our best to get you there :smile:

• Monica Peverini
    Monica Peverini
    Community Member
    Options

Hello.. thank you for the information - just to clarify.. I have my own 1Password account, which by the way I need to find my registration number and I have not received it in my email (and I wanted more than 5 min).. He has created a specific Vault that he will be sharing with me. So if I want to load my own 1Password on his old laptop, I will take the steps in the "Start over with an empty vault"... would this delete only the data in his old macbook and NOT the data that he has in his existing primary vault correct? I want to make sure that he is NOT losing any data on his 1Password account. which will be a VERY BAD THING. Specially when I read this "Starting over will delete all your vaults, backups and preferences. There’s no way to recover this data, so please be careful!" on your first paragraph of "Start over with..." instructions.

I'm pretty tech savy, but this has me very nervous, since I want to make sure he does not loose anything. Just want to run my own 1Password account on his old macbook, which is now my computer. And at this point I may need some heavy hand holding.

Thank you again.

• Monica Peverini
    Monica Peverini
    Community Member
    Options

Help us help you!

• I’m using 1Password version #: 5
    • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): iMac and iPhone
    • Syncing with other devices (list them): iPhone

(Please provide as much detail as possible, but remember—this is a public forum. Please don’t share personal information like email addresses or passwords.)

I'm trying to contact you by using the following link in your license wording:

If you still do not receive your email after 5 minutes, please contact us for assistance, and include your full name and registered email address. Your support email is not working.. I keep getting it kicked back from my email server, telling me: "Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently".

Help!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Monica Peverini I have merged your other post with your original post so it will be easier for you to find answers to your problem. Posting about the same problem in separate threads makes that more difficult for you, and also makes support rather more challenging.

To deal with the problem about the licence please try to send an email to support+licenses @ agilebits.com with the following information:

1. your full name;
    2. your full address when you purchased 1P;
    3. the approximate date you bought 1P;
    4. the email address you used when you purchased 1P;
    5. a link to this thread.

You will receive an automatic response with a ticket number. Post that number in this thread, which will help AgileBits connect the two and speed the response.

For responses to your other questions please wait for someone more expert than I to arrive on the scene. :)

Stephen

• Monica Peverini
    Monica Peverini
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen.. as requested here is my support ID [#UWE-98123-993]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Monica Peverini,

So there are two key parts in your posts to address. There is your licence and then about vaults. Let's start with your licence.

You mentioned being unable to email us - so sorry you've been struggling to do so. We'd certainly be interested in the address that Gmail(?) failed to sent to in case we have a terrible typo on a support page - that's something we'd want to address very quickly. Now the address Stephen_C supplied is a valid one and here it is again in clicky form, support+licenses@agilebits.com. I did try checking our records for the email address you use here in the forums but I couldn't find anything. Is it possible you purchased using a different email address?

Another possibility is, did you purchase via Apple's Mac App Store (MAS)? Apple don't supply any details regarding MAS customers to us and to sell through their App Store we have to use their licensing scheme. If that was the case it would explain why I couldn't find an entry as you don't had an Agile Web Store (AWS) licence but instead a MAS receipt. I know, it's not ideal but there isn't a way to use a single licensing scheme in these two distinct stores so this is the only route.

If you're sure you purchased from us then I'd recommend the email like Stephen_C suggested but I'd go a little further and recommend listing all of your email addresses. If you do that we can check for all of them until either we find your licence or we exhaust the list.

Now back to vaults.

I'm still a little worried about the terminology being used. If I can I might try and use Dropbox to help explain.

When you sign up to Dropbox you create an account. They set aside some of their storage space for you and you can access it by logging into your account. If you log into the Dropbox client on a particular computer it will download your files to that machine and if you log out of the account you can then remove the local copy of these files, safe in the knowledge that they're still in your account on Dropbox's server. You can sign into Dropbox's client on multiple machines and your files synchronise over all of these machines.

So all of this works because you have an account with Dropbox and they have your data on their servers.

When you purchase a 1Password licence you're purchasing the ability to run the 1Password application. That's as far as it goes. We store a few details about our customers for the standard company bookkeeping reasons but that's it. We don't store or control any of your vaults. If you delete your vault and you haven't backed it up anywhere else then it's gone. Your vault is closer to a Word document in that respect. If you haven't copied it anywhere else, deleting it means it is gone. Not that I'm suggesting a vault is as secure as a Word document (we're really not that bad - honest!).

So unless your boss uses Dropbox and their vault is on another machine then it is highly probable that it only exists on this MacBook. Unfortunately we cannot tell because syncing is optional and through third parties such as iCloud, Dropbox or local means.

So the Starting Over guide would do as you expect. It would return 1Password to a pristine, never-been-run-before state with no vault. If this was the only copy of the vault that's bad. If the vault is in Dropbox and your boss is assuming you'll want your own primary vault with this vault as a secondary one then the Starting Over guide is what you would use even if it seems daunting.

So I think to ease your concerns we would need to know.

1. Is this vault synced anywhere else e.g. your boss's new MacBook?
    2. Is it synced via Dropbox?
    3. Are you wanting your own private vault along with access to this shared vault?

Hopefully that explanation helped but we will continue working with you until you're happy about how 1Password works :smile:

• Monica Peverini
    Monica Peverini
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables - Thank you for the clarification. I been in contact with Stephen and I believe they are working on it...

On my original post about starting a new 1Password vault... Yes, he has synced on his new MacBook and phone, in fact when he gave me this computer he told me had wiped everything (files, dropbox links, etc). So I guess I need to follow the directions in the "... empty vault"

nervous!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Monica Peverini,

So if your boss has unlinked the old MacBook Air from Dropbox and is confident/happy that all of his vaults are on his current devices then following the Starting Over guide will only remove the local vault - it won't touch his Dropbox or his other devices.

You can then create a Primary vault for you. This will be a Master Password known only to you and the contents of this vault are yours.

If you don't have one already you will probably want to create a new Dropbox account for you too and link the MacBook Air to it. Your boss would then share the vault between your Dropbox accounts and finally you would add the shared vault as a secondary vault.

Guides you may find useful include:

Again, if you have any questions regarding any of this please do ask.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Monica Peverini,

I've found your email and somebody will be in touch shortly to help you out :smile:

ref: UWE-98123-993

• Monica Peverini
    Monica Peverini
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables : Ok I now have my own vault in the macbook ( I think) .. so the question would be, would this sync between my devices? For example, I have 1Password in my iPhone.. and if I'm not in the office and need to look for something would I be able to access the same vaut? Because I have tried to Sync from my iPhone and it shows that is synch using the iCloud.. but when I open my vault in the macbook, what I have created in the iPhone is not showing up in my macbook.

This cannot be this hard... I'm sorry, with all of these questions..

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Monica Peverini,

Ah, so you have an existing vault on your iPhone. This changes things but don't worry.

I see you've purchased a 1Password licence and given the easiest way to share the other vault with your boss is Dropbox I would recommend we have you sync your iPhone with Dropbox, and then populate 1Password for Mac using this data.

Here are the steps I would recommend. Oh and once we're done with much of this you won't have to muck about with it again - this is all the prep work for continuous automatic syncing. I just wanted to say that in case you were worried if everything in 1Password was this complex :wink:

1. If you haven't already I would recommend creating a Dropbox account over at https://www.dropbox.com
    2. They'll prompt you to download the Mac client and for ease you may want to download the iOS client at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropbox/id327630330 That should be the correct URL for your location, that or you can search the iOS App Store for Dropbox :smile:
    3. Here is a link to our guide, How do I switch to Dropbox Sync from another method?. The bit you want is down the page and titled On your iOS devices…. For a few more images of what to expect you may find our Sync with Dropbox page useful.
    4. With Dropbox syncing now set up on your iOS device, you can turn your attention to your Mac.
    5. If you have an empty new vault on your Mac then I would recommend following our How do I start over with an empty vault? just once more. I do apologise but this should be for the last time.
    6. When you start up 1Password it should automatically find the sync data in Dropbox and simply ask you for the Master Password you use on your iOS device. Once the vault is unlocked your Mac and iOS device are now continuous sync.

At this point it should all be automated and the tough work done. Do keep us informed and ask questions if you need to! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.