Conflicted copy across 1Password instances on two Macs running [moved to email]

Options
JimBobSD
JimBobSD
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

I now have a massive problem with Dropbox constantly syncing the 1Password (v5.1 (510027)) agilekeychain across two Macs running Yosemite 10.10.2.

I have filenames like 3bd0895b6747429d8b161a3d9f89798f (Ze iMac's conflicted copy 2015-02-25 (137)).icn

This indicates I have on this one file alone 137 copies in conflict between the two machines, and Dropbox is running 100%CPU to try to keep making more of them. I've verified that all these are in the 1Password.agilekeychain package.

I've shut Dropbox off for the time being, a risky temporary solution and certainly inconvenient.

I found the discussion between @Megan and Carroll here, but it is for the previous version and went private very quickly anyway.

Appreciate any help on it, thanks!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

Have you noticed any problems/conflicts with your items in the 1Password app, or are you only seeing the issue when looking through the files in the .agilekeychain bundle in Dropbox?

If your data in the main 1Password app is ok, and the problem seems confined to Dropbox, you can try disabling Dropbox sync, deleting the keychain from Dropbox, then re-enabling Dropbox sync (which will create a new .agilekeychain). You can follow these steps:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Select the Sync tab, and change the sync method from Dropbox to None.
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox then click Disable Sync.
    • Go to your Dropbox folder and make sure the .agilekeychain bundle has been deleted.
    • Re-enable Dropbox sync in 1Password, which will create a brand new .agilekeychain.

Do you run into the same problem with the new keychain file, or does that seem to solve the problem?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

I forgot to mention that since you're trying to sync between two Macs, you'll need to make sure you disable Dropbox sync in 1Password on both Macs. Since you've shut off Dropbox, make sure you choose the option to Delete data from Dropbox when disabling sync on both Macs (or disable sync and then manually delete the keychain from Dropbox). Then you can turn on Dropbox again, then re-enable Dropbox sync in 1Password on one of your Macs. Once Dropbox completely syncs the new keychain file, you can re-enable Dropbox sync in 1Password on the other Mac.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions. Thanks!

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, will do: have to wait to get home to access one of the two machines but will report back either way.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD ,

I hope everything goes smoothly ... but we're here for you if you need us!

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! @Drew_AG your advice worked well. Deleted the data on both macs, and restarted Dropbox then set up sync with 1Password once again. All is good. For what it is worth, I did have a slew of iOS 8 devices and a PC with 1Password as well, and these instructions sorted out my problem over all these devices.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

Hopefully 1Password will continue to serve you well and long may syncing remain trouble free! :smile:

@Drew_AG is pretty good isn't he :wink:

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, @Drew_AG and the gang: I spoke too soon. Problem is back.

I have
    3BD0895B6747429D8B161A3D9F89798F (れんが's conflicted copy 2015-03-02 (25)).icn
    69B62DEB30234ECAB5544A1B4490F7B9 (れんが's conflicted copy 2015-03-02 (19)).icn
    717AFE3D29414CB8B9E9DFD22DAC8F41 (れんが's conflicted copy 2015-03-02 (25)).icn
    and many other such files in a folder that has grown rapidly to 5.5 MB and 487 items in a few hours (9:27AM to 4:42PM).

I only have two machines, Ze iMac and れんが (Japanese for brick, which is closer to reality that I would like for my MacBook Air at the moment, laugh).

I followed the instructions carefully, including selecting the option to Delete data from Dropbox. Also, I'm as certain as I can be that one machine synchronized the keychain to Dropbox completely before the other had a chance to synchronize: one machine was off for the sync period just in case.

In the mean time I will try the whole process again to make sure I didn't do something wrong, but any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!
    James

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

I'm sorry to hear the problem is back! Just to make sure I understand, are you noticing this problem only when looking through the files inside the .agilekeychain folder in Dropbox? Or do you also see a problem when viewing the data in the 1Password app? It will also help if you can let us know the following:

• Open 1Password on Ze iMac, go to the View menu, and make sure Show Item Counts is enabled. What is the number next to All Items in the left sidebar?
    • Check the same thing on れんが (great name, btw! :) ). What is the number next to All Items?
    • Are you seeing any problems with your items in 1Password on either Mac?
    • If you add a new item to 1Password on one Mac, does it sync correctly to the other Mac?
    • Are you noticing any problems with the data in 1Password on your iOS devices or Windows PC?
    • Do changes sync correctly between 1Password on all devices (Mac, iOS, Windows)?
    • What version of Dropbox is installed on each Mac?
    • Is Dropbox still taking up 100% CPU? If so, is it doing that on both Macs?

Thanks!

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Morning, @Drew_AG, redid the whole thing again and it is duplicating keys again as before.

This time I was careful to shut off Dropbox on both machines, shut off 1Password synchronization and delete the keychain in Dropbox on both machines, sync from one machine to Dropbox after deletion of the keychain on both machines, then sync Dropbox to the second machine, then turn on 1Password sync.

I tried a third time leaving Dropbox sync on on one machine, shutting off 1Password sync and deleting the keychain on both the Dropbox-syncing machine (in thinking perhaps the cloud-based keychain was causing the trouble) and the second (non-Dropbox-syncing) machine.

Didn't make a difference. Switching on 1Password sync on on the second machine started the conflict duplicates.

I've disconnected the PC from the Dropbox share just to remove it from the situation here, and I've not been using the iOS 1Password or Dropbox apps for the same reason.

In answer to your questions

• I've 169 items on both machines; they appear to correspond, and as far as I can tell, 1Password is working fine on each machine. d
    • New items do sync properly when entered into 1Password.
    • Otherwise all seems normal, other than the rapidly progressing duplication of .icn items. I don't know if this happens when 1Password isn't running because it is always running on both machines when I'm trying to fix the issue...I wonder about that though...
    • If I shut off sync in 1Password on one machine, the problem goes away: the remaining machine's Dropbox stops syncing and the conflicted duplicates stop being created. Dropbox stops syncing and CPU usage falls to near-zero.
    • Other things sync fine with Dropbox. I can run Dropbox with 1Password's keychain sync switched off and see no CPU loading or constant syncing.
    • Both machines are running OS X 10.10.2 with Dropbox v3.2.6. For that matter, 1Password is version 5.1 on both machines. The iOS versions and the software are all on my iPads/iPhones are all the latest with the autoupdate turned on.

Peculiar! Hope what I've written made sense as I rush to work.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

I'm sorry it look so long to get back to you about this! Thank you so much for the addition details. I'm looking into this and trying to get some information on why it might be happening, and hope to have something for you very soon. Are things still working correctly within the 1Password app? And has there been any change with the problem happening in Dropbox?

• Hi @JimBobSD,

It's very unusual for conflict files to be created by dropbox for 1Password files. It can happen (and we have code to handle it), but assuming you aren't taking these devices offline while doing these changes, there's little reason for dropbox to want to create the conflicted copies.

The problem going away when you quit 1Password is likely because every time Dropbox coughs, 1Password will attempt a sync. 1Password should only write to the UUID.1Password files, and delete conflict files if present. Dropbox is likely getting the write notifications, and doing its own sync... causing it to write within the agilekeychain again. We're stuck in a loop.

I think the next step here is to actually re-install Dropbox on the two Macs.

Rick

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All @rickfillion @Drew_AG ... I've left 1Password without sync for a while now and Dropbox runs fine otherwise.

I'll next try reinstalling Dropbox on both machines per the advice here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/72 and of course fixing the permissions. Hope to report back soon.

Thanks,
    James

• Thanks for the update, @JimBobSD.

Let us know how that goes.

Rick

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @rickfillion @Drew_AG and all,

Well, it has taken long enough, but I've finally returned to try to deal with this.

I have had the 1Password sync via Dropbox shut off since mid-March, and the Dropbox copies of the AgileBits 1Password keychain were deleted long ago on both machines as well.

I fixed the permissions on both machines (using Disk Utility) and then reinstalled Dropbox on both machines per the advice here: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/72 --- using the Terminal commands provided there which make sure the permissions are set properly.

I then turned on 1Password Dropbox sync on my MacBook Air (machine 1), set the folder, waited for that to synchronize across to the other (iMac) machine (machine 2). All looked good.

I then turned on 1Password Dropbox sync on the iMac, and it asked if I wished to merge the 1Password file, and I confirmed that I did.

Sync started, and then conflicted copies started to rapidly appear on the iMac, as in

562C04ACE57F48BE877D39B0D109E394 (Ze iMac's conflicted copy 2015-04-09).1password

that resides within 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default

Items in folders within 1Password.agilekeychain/a/default are also showing conflicted copies.

These synced back to the MacBook Air (machine 1).

Outwardly, neither machine is otherwise affected. Dropbox has not shown conflicted copies for other files on the machines in the past month as far as I can search and see. The password number in the 1Password application is equal on both machines and there are no visible duplicates of passwords in the application.

Once I saw the writing of conflicted copies, I shut off the 1Password sync via Dropbox, and so I am back to where I started when I asked about this in Februrary: I can't sync without creating massive numbers of conflicted copies of the keys/passwords, and this grinds my machines to a halt with Dropbox growing to consume 100% CPU.

?

A weird problem.

Not sure what to do other than to try sync via iCloud and give up on this issue, hoping against rational hope that iCloud works better than Dropbox here.

Thoughts welcomed.

• Hi @JimBobSD,

Wow that's super bizarre. The next step would be to get Diagnostics Reports from both of these Macs, in hope that our logs show something that can lead us down the right path. I'm not terribly confident that we'll find something in there as 1Password for Mac actually knows very little about Dropbox, we just write files in there. But it might still show something, so we should find out. You can get us a diagnostics report by following the instructions on this page. Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com. In the email include a link to this forum thread. You should get an autoresponder message that gives you a ticket id. Feel free to copy/paste it into this thread so that we can jump between the two systems more easily.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Rick

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @rickfillion, I've just sent through the troubleshooting report (1PasswordDiagnostics-efate-2015-04-10_07-59.zip) for the first of the two machines. The other will have to wait for a day---when I can be in front of the machine to run this. James

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

We've received your Diagnostics Report - thanks for sending it in! I've updated the email thread with the necessary details from this forum discussion so that it is easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone from the support team will get back to you as soon as possible with some further information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. :)

ref: UKG-63473-362

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JimBobSD,

The other will have to wait for a day---when I can be in front of the machine to run this.

We haven't spotted that second report so are wondering if you've already sent it and it's been "lost in the ether". :)

• JimBobSD
    JimBobSD
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk, sorry: just sent it through. Thanks! James

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Your email with the report from your iMac arrived okay, @JimBobSD – thanks! No reason to be sorry. :)

Our support team will keep the conversation going directly through email, like @Megan mentioned earlier, and help you with resolving any remaining issues as soon as possible.

• chrisduke
    chrisduke
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a solution to this problem? I complained a year ago, but the issue always returns! I've tried deleting the keychain, and restarting on all three of my Macs. There are also several iOS devices accessing the same dropbox file
    It always happens on .icn files in the agile keychain. I've attached a finder listing. Dropbox reports a problem about every hour.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrisduke,

We're still working with JimBobSD to try and resolve their issue so there isn't anything to report there.

One thing I'd be interested in knowing about your situation is if there is a pattern at all to these conflict copies. When Dropbox creates a conflict file (it's Dropbox that does this, not us) it does record the machine that caused the conflict in the filename. As the filenames are quite long this information is being obscured in your image. Is the source of these conflicts always from a particular machine or are they distributed over the three Macs?

I would also be curious to know if you tend to keep 1Password active and open (as in your vault unlocked) on multiple machines at the same time or do you have it open when you happen to be on a particular machine?

This discussion has been closed.