Touch ID not working for Safari extension

Options
hazmat
hazmat
Community Member

Is this a known issue? Touch ID hasn't worked in the extension for at least the last two iPhone betas.

Thanks.

Comments

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I think this is moot. I was getting confused between the old 1P beta app and the new one, which now replaces the App Store version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hazmat,

If you're still seeing weird behaviour, please let me know which version of the beta you're using, as well as which iOS device. I hope everything is going well, but if something's up, we're happy to investigate!

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but no problem. I deleted the old beta version and no more problem.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hazmat,

That's great to hear! :)

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I just installed the beta version on my iPhone 5S (iOS 8.1.3 public beta Build 12F16) and the safari extension keeps prompting for my password instead of using touch ID. However if I launch the app itself, it will ask my fingerprint like it should. I tried to entering my password in the extension to see if this was because it was the first prompt but that did not help.

I have 5.3 (503025) currently installed.

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    Options

Denis, are you sure you don't have another version of 1Password installed?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@denisdp: I'll also add that you may just need to restart your iOS device. I had that problem myself the other day and it was infuriating, but restarting fixed it.

Sometimes turning Touch ID off and then back on works too, but I find that restarting is no more inconvenient and will clear up other issues as well in one fell swoop. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if the problem persists so we can troubleshoot it further. :+1:

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

@hazmat I just entered the beta program yesterday. Before that I had the latest build from the app store installed. Yesterday I downloaded the latest version from test flight which appears to have the same build # if I am not mistaken.

Let me detail a little bit more the issue I had yesterday: After installing the build from test flight all my data was there except for my security preferences. I had to re-activate touch id in the app, set the clipboard clearing timer to what I am used to. After that it seemed to work just fine. Later on, I tried to use the extension in safari and it asked for my password. I went back to the app to make sure touch ID was indeed activated but there as well I was asked for my password. I turned touch ID back on, left the app (without force closing it), went back in and touch id showed up. Then I went back to Safari but again the extension asked for my password.
    So I reinstalled the app from the app store and after that everything worked fine. Now this morning I re-installed the test-flight build and everything is ok now.
    Now since the two versions should be identical (same build number), my guess is that somehow my iphone messed-up with the preferences file during the installation process. Maybe rebooting my iDevice would have solved the issue in the first place. Next build, I will restart for sure or uninstall/reinstall the app.

Anyhow, everything works like it should now! Thanks for your help guys.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@denisdp: I think you're right on the money there with your preferences theory (multiple .plist disorder?) and I'm glad you were able to get it working by reinstalling.

In the future, I agree that I'd go the restart route first. A lot of times I've found that some weird issues crop up in iOS 8 (maybe due to bad/stale caching?) that restarting clears up. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just wanted to jump in here to mention that iMore has an excellent article for those of us with chronic Touch ID issues.

I only with that my trouble had started with iOS 8.3. Touch ID is great, but it can also be a little touch-and-go at times. I thought I'd drop that in here in case it helps anyone, now or in the future. Cheers! :)

• denisdp
    denisdp
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi,

Hope this is the right place, I am having a different kind of issue now w/ Touch ID. Here's the bug report:

• Is this bug reproducible? Yes
    • Which devices did this bug appear on and is it reproducible on any devices and/or computers? iPhone 5S on iOS 8.3 (12F70) - 1Password 5.4.2 (504202) - Cannot test on another device
    • A quick summary of the bug: Touch ID requested after cancelling Safari extension which makes the app prompt for master password when you launch it afterward.
    • Detailed Step-by-Step list on how to reproduce it:
    1. Open safari
    2. On any page, open the safari extension
    3. Unlock using Touch ID
    4. Tap Cancel
    5. Touch ID is required again to unlock 1Password - Unlock it
    6. Now when trying to launch the extension in Safari or when trying to launch the app, you will be asked the master password
    • Versions of 1Password you're using on the devices and computers involved: 1 Password 5.4.2 (504202)

Hope this helps and above all, hope this will be fixed as this is a huge bummer!

• Cyrille
    Cyrille
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hello,

Since the latest version of the beta I have an issue with Touch ID authentication with Safari. When I'm on a page and need to login, I select the 1Password extension and I have the popup to identify me with Touch ID. I do it and on the window I select my login account. When I do it I have again the popup of Touch ID. I do it and after that the login fields are filled in. I have this bug on my iPhone 6+ and on my iPad mini 3.

Regards,
    Cyrille

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem as denisdp.

To add to his information:

• Open Safari
    • Open extension
    • Unlock using Touch ID
    • Select login
    • 1Password is dismissed, fields are correctly filled in
    • Touch ID is requested again
      • If you unlock using Touch ID, you will have to type the master password next time
      • If you press Cancel, you can keep using Touch ID
  • Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the the heads up @ChaconC :+1:

I'll merge the two discussions and I will reply on the merged one.

Cheers!

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in and for sending us such detailed steps to reproduce :+1:

We started to work on our Lock Service in the previous beta and we still are improving it. I was able to reproduce the issue that you are describing. The good news is that we are pretty confident that we have a fix for it. So please keep an eye out for upcoming betas.

ref: PR #2721

This discussion has been closed.