The Effect of EXIF in the Forums and on .AgileKeychain/OPVault?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Lounge

I've posted some images from my phone/tablet. Unfortunately this, being a phone, means that it is harder to scrub the EXIF from the images. How does the Vanilla Forum software deal with the images.

Also it has been requested that 1Password be allowed to attach images on to .AgileKeychain/OPVault. It still can't be done from my iPhone.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I would guess that it simply uploads them and serves them to browsers. What do you mean by "deal with"? If you mean, "does it scrub the personal information that you left attachment to the image when you uploaded it?" then I doubt it.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I did some screen captures. I thought forum software might have done some optimisation as it resized the images and at the same time scrubbed the EXIF as well. On the other hand, maybe not.

Thanks

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Why would it assume you wanted the meta data scrubbed? That is taking control out of the user's hands.
    The main issue here is the default tagging of images with meta data.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

A lot of things happen inadvertently. I simply assumed it would be the case where the data would be scrubbed when resized.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@wkleem: The only change I can see between the original image and the attached version is the timestamp. Otherwise all metadata seems to be kept. When you upload a file of any kind, it's just copied and stored on the server for display in your post.

I was pretty sure of this since I've often wished that we'd get some on the fly resampling/resizing (those retina screenshots are huge!), but I did just double check this to be sure. I hope this helps! :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

I see the above on every attached image so I thought something else might be happening when there actually isn't.

Those Retina Screens especially the 6Plus at full HD are large. Some android screens are at 2K/4K already.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I think that statement refers to the fact that a smaller version of the image is used to fit the screen. The original is still stored, which is why you can click to enlarge. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I you follow this discussion with images attached, you might notice that the attached images are already quite large without clicking on anything. On a tiny screen anyway.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/38640/oversized-icons-on-earlier-iphones#latest

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@wkleem, @megan: Also, I'm 95% certain that the 'resized' image is, in fact, the original -- just scaled in the markup to fit. I'm not finding a good way to test at the moment (there's no View Source in Mobile Safari) though, so I'll give you the 5%. ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@brenty If you go to your phone's settings, and if you have your charging cable with you, you can enable Safari to see Web Inspector inside Settings - Safari - Adanced on your phone and on your Mac's Safari browser. Would that help?

I haven't tested it out personally.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: Ah, good call! It looks like it's the browser itself which is resizing the image to fit the screen width, because there is only the single image referenced in the code. So the forum software is just saving a single copy after all. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.