Multi-part, multi-platform upgrade question

blakema
blakema
Community Member

I'm looking to upgrade from a pretty antiquated setup:

Existing conditions:

• Home: Mac (OS 10.8 Mountain Lion) running 1Password 3.8 family license
  • Two users (me + wife) using 1Password on above machine
  • I wi-fi sync to handheld #1: iPod touch (2nd gen) running iOS 4.2 and 1Password 3.7
  • Windows 8 PC at office - not yet running 1Password
  • Handheld #2: cell phone running Android 4.4.4 - not yet running 1Password

Desired changes/conditions:

• Upgrade Mac's 1Password to latest compatible version, evidently 4.4
  • Still allow multiple users (wife and me) on home machine.
  • Add 1Password 4 to Windows 8 PC at office.
  • Add 1Password (v4) to Droid phone.
  • Sync as many devices as possible
  • To not have a period where I don't have a handheld containing up-to-date passwords.

Questions:
1. Any conflicts for syncing between the above versions? (I believe the old iOS device running v3 will no longer be syncable?)
2. With the best bundling options, what are we looking at for a total price tag? The upgrade eligibility page only gave options for upgrading to v5 on the Mac. (Assume we'll get the paid version for Droid)
3. Is it correct that there's no wi-fi sync for the Android platform? Syncing the above devices would require using the Dropbox approach, yes?
4. Will it be possible for wife and me to share a vault without her getting a dropbox account (i.e. via a local, shared folder)?
5. Any suggestions for a sequence of installations, etc?

Many thanks!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@blakema: Wow. That's a lot to digest! Thanks for laying it out so clearly. :)

The two biggest obstacles I see are the old iPod touch and Wi-Fi Sync. Let's go down the list:

Upgrade Mac's 1Password to latest compatible version, evidently 4.4

A. Correct. 1Password 5 for Mac requires Yosemite. But if a purchase of 1Password 5 will also get you access to 1Password 4. Click here and enter your existing 1Password 3 license to get the upgrade price for the Mac + Windows bundle. The only caveat is that iCloud Sync is only available through the Mac App Store version...but that doesn't seem to apply to your situation (Android, Windows, etc.)

Still allow multiple users (wife and me) on home machine.

B. You'll just need to have separate user accounts and "separate" 1Password vaults (see #4 below)*****

Add 1Password 4 to Windows 8 PC at office.

C. See A. :)

Add 1Password (v4) to Droid phone.

D. 1Password for Android is a free download fro the Google Play Store. It will have full functionality for 30 days, after which it will be read-only unless you unlock Premium Features.

Sync as many devices as possible

E. Dropbox is the way to go here, because it is automatic and supported across all of the OS and 1Password versions (and computers) you need...

To not have a period where I don't have a handheld containing up-to-date passwords.

F. Wi-Fi Sync is great for a small number of devices, but it is not automatic, and is limited to a single computer syncing with one or more iOS devices currently; so Dropbox seems to be a better fit in this regard too.

Any conflicts for syncing between the above versions? (I believe the old iOS device running v3 will no longer be syncable?)

1. Great question! 1Password touch 3 is one instance where Dropbox will not work (they've since discontinued those APIs), but also Wi-Fi Sync will only work with 1Password 3 for Mac. This is a case of legacy software showing its age I'm afraid.

With the best bundling options, what are we looking at for a total price tag? The upgrade eligibility page only gave options for upgrading to v5 on the Mac. (Assume we'll get the paid version for Droid)

1. You should come in under 70$ for the bundle, but again -- be sure to check your eligibility using the link above. That will get you the best price on the desktop apps. 1Password for Android however cannot be bundled because it is sold through Google's store. You can check the pricing here.

Is it correct that there's no wi-fi sync for the Android platform? Syncing the above devices would require using the Dropbox approach, yes?

1. Yep! You're way ahead of me here. :)

Will it be possible for wife and me to share a vault without her getting a dropbox account (i.e. via a local, shared folder)?

1. *****If you want to keep your data separate from your wife's, that's a no-brainer. But if you want to share data in the way you describe, you can use Folder Sync on the Mac...however, I'd recommend that you consider either using the same Dropbox account (for simplicity) or sharing a folder using Dropbox (with separate accounts), since it sounds like you'll be using it to sync your data between the rest of your devices anyway.

Any suggestions for a sequence of installations, etc?

1. The best course of action is generally to start with the device that you use the most. This should have the most updated version of 1Password and your data, so that you can simply set up syncing there and then set up each subsequent device after the initial sync is complete. It sounds like you might be starting with the Mac, but we've also got guides for Windows and Android as well.

Keep in mind that you've got a free trial on each, and even after you purchase from the AgileBits Store (but not Google Play, of course) we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, just in case. And don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions at all regarding licensing, setup, or...well, anything! :chuffed:

• blakema
    blakema
    Community Member

@brenty : Thanks much for the thorough reply and explanation!

Alas, it looks like I have to accept that after 7+ years, the trusty iPod touch is going to have to be retired into service as an alarm clock. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blakema ,

I'm so glad that you found Brenty's explanation helpful. If you have any other questions about 1Password, we're here for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Alas, it looks like I have to accept that after 7+ years, the trusty iPod touch is going to have to be retired into service as an alarm clock.

@blakema: I guess I'm not the only one. ;)

I'm glad that helped. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.