Syncing between devices

itt
itt
Community Member

'I have 1Password 5 on my Mac. I have entered 20 items and am continuing. I tried opening 1Password on my IOS device and syncing the information. I said it was in the Cloud but was not asked to backup to the Cloud and didn't name a Vault. Obviously I want to access all info on all devices. HELP.'

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

Hi there @itt,

Thanks for contacting us with your iCloud Sync question.

First of all, did you buy 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, or from our own AgileBits Store? At this time, iCloud Sync is not available on the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, it must be purchased from the Mac App Store.

If you are indeed using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5, you can set up iCloud Sync by following these steps on your Mac and these steps on your iOS device.

If that still doesn't get your data syncing properly, you may find a solution in our Troubleshooting iCloud Sync article. Otherwise, please provide more information here about what steps you have taken and what is not working as expected, including any error messages you might see.

We look forward to hearing how it goes. Cheers! :)

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

I did buy directly from AglieBits but nothing said I couldn't sync from the Cloud. I have now bought (for another $49) the one from the App Store. However, my master password that I created doesn't work. How do I open the new one and can I import all the stuff I have already done in the AglieBits one so I can sync all my devices?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @itt,

It looks like you bought a license from the AgileBits Store earlier this week. We have a 30 day money back guarantee for purchases from our site, so if you also bought the Mac App Store version, we can refund the one you bought from the AgileBits Store. Just let us know for sure if you'd like us to go ahead and do that.

By the way, although the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac doesn't have the iCloud sync option, it has the Dropbox and Wi-Fi sync options that can also be used to sync with 1Password on your iOS device. If you decide to continue using the AgileBits Store version and need help to sync it with the iOS version, just let us know.

However, my master password that I created doesn't work.

Can you please give us some more details about that? Which version won't accept your master password? Did the Mac App Store version find your data from the AgileBits Store version, but won't accept the same master password? Does your master password still work in the AgileBits Store version? The more details you can give us about what you've done and what happened, the better.

How do I open the new one and can I import all the stuff I have already done in the AglieBits one so I can sync all my devices?

Switching to the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac should normally be pretty easy, and we have information about how to do that in this guide.

If you run into any problems when following those steps, please let us know exactly what happens, and we'll continue from there. Thanks in advance!

ref: 843161

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

I did what you suggested. I now can open the App Store version, but obviously can not get what I have already done in your version. Could I do it via WiFi and then get rid of your version? One other problem (which came up before the recent purchases) is that when I first started with iPassword, it was on my IOS devices. I forgot that master password which is why I bought the new ones. I think the app is finding that old info (not the ones I created with your version). I know it is complicated, but your explanation at least has started me. Keep the help coming, please.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @itt,

It might sound silly but could you just confirm that you would like a refund for the Agile Store version, the one without iCloud. We're more than happy to refund you if you've also purchased in Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) but for myself, even if it's giving you money, I don't like to do it unless you're agreeing and happy for us to do so. Don't worry, it won't get in the way of helping you transfer to the MAS version and it can be safely done in parallel.

Now to your vault issue.

So you started in 1Password for iOS but you can't remember the Master Password for that vault. You've also attempted to sync it to iCloud or you believe you may have in the past. On your Mac you still have the two versions of 1Password and you can access both but the when you managed to enter the vault in the MAS version it didn't contain the 20 items you had entered in our AWS one.

The goal is to get the 20 items that are in the AWS version first to the MAS one (so you can use iCloud) and then do you want to start afresh on your iOS device(s) with this vault?

Would you say that's a good summary? If it is, here is what I would recommend. If any part of that isn't please don't follow these steps and instead help us understand what the final goal is regarding the Mac and iOS device. We'll tweak our response and get you up and running :smile:

1. On your Mac open System Preferences > iCloud.
    2. In there click on the Manage... button in the bottom right hand corner.
    3. In the new window that opens do you see an entry in the list on the left hand side that starts with 1Password? If you do click on it and then click on the button in the right panel that is titled Delete documents & data. This will clear the old iCloud Sync data.
    4. I would now like you to follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide. Now please be very careful here. You have vaults for both versions on your Mac and I only want you to remove the MAS one. This means you want to follow the If you use the Mac App Store version of 1Password section and don't follow the AgileBits Store section underneath.
    5. When you next launch 1Password for Mac (MAS) it should only find your AWS vault, the one with the 20 items. It will automatically import that and will unlock with the same Master Password. It should have done this the first time to be honest and I'm surprised it didn't.
    6. You can then set up iCloud sync using our Sync with iCloud guide.
    7. If you want to start with a clean copy of 1Password for iOS on your iOS device(s) using this vault then the easiest way to do so is to delete the 1Password for iOS app from your iOS device. This will remove all the user data. Now re-install 1Password for iOS and then follow our Existing 1Password user guide.

If you have any questions regarding any of this please do ask. If my understanding of the end goal is incorrect at all please do let us know. Either way we'll do our best to help get you sorted :smile:

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

You have analyzed the problem exactly and I thank you SO much. I am going to start the process now (I might take awhile as I have to go out briefly) and will report. I am not at all concerned with the double expense, but if I can get the App store version going, I will get rid of yours so there are not conflicts. By the way, so far so good!!!!!

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

GREAT news!! It worked. I now am using the App store version and it is syncing via iCloud. It has found the recent items I have done. Don't you think I should get rid of the 1Password 5 version? If so, how do I do that? Now can I enetr information on any of my IOS devices and will it sync with all other IOS and my computer? Thanks again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @itt,

To remove the 1Password 5 application all you need to do is drag the application bundle from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash, it's that easy :smile:

If you want to clean up the support files then our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide does have the steps but this time you would want to follow the If you use the version of 1Password from the AgileBits Store section. Now the support files for the AWS version won't interfere with the now working MAS version so you don't have to do this and if you want you can leave them for a while until you're quite happy the MAS version is working properly - it's entirely up to you :smile:

If your iOS device and Mac are both using iCloud then yes, anything entered in one should appear on the other. Now there can sometimes be delays depending on how many changes or if Apple's servers are having a bad idea (you get the idea) but generally the updates should be pretty much instantaneous.

I know you say you're not concerned by the double expense but we really don't expect you to pay twice for the same piece of software so given you've successfully transferred across I'm going to refund you on the AWS purchase.

I hope 1Password serves you well but if you ever have any questions or problems you know where we are :smile:

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

Thanks very much for all your help. I am now starting to enter all my other passwords etc.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad we were able to help @itt :smile:

If you have any other questions or issues you know where we are and we love helping :smile:

• itt
    itt
    Community Member

Ok, I now have what should be a very simple one. I am all installed. Now how does the app know to fill in logins etc when I go to a site?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Now how does the app know to fill in logins etc when I go to a site?

Take a look at this knowledge base article:

Using a saved Login

All you need to do is to ensure you've saved the exact URL for the login you want 1P to fill and then follow the knowledge base article.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @itt,

I hope Stephen's reply helped to answer your question! If you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.