Choose item details displayed on Apple Watch [request]

Jumpman
Jumpman
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Apple Watch

I noticed there's only a really small selection of a card's details is put into the Apple Watch app, and PIN isn't one of them. Am I meant to just put the PIN into the verification number instead of its properly designated area? Maybe giving users the option to select which parts of a saved password's entry can show up would solve this, as there's a lot of details in a saved card that I don't need to see all the time. I've whipped up a fake card to show my issue:

http://i.imgur.com/Zi59Btl.jpg

Yes, I know I can create a more basic entry and put the PIN in that (I've done that for the meanwhile), I just wanted to see what the developers thought about this.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Jumpman

Is that picture of real card info ? I saw what appeared to be an exaggerated expiration date. I have pulled the image until such time as I can be certain it is not legit. After all we don't need card numbers in the wild... mine or yours. :chuffed:

Better safe than sorry IMHO. Please let me know and I can place the link back in the post.

• Jumpman
    Jumpman
    Community Member

It's a fake card, as I said before the image "I've whipped up a fake card to show my issue:".

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

@Jumpman

Argh I totally skimmed that portion. Restored it. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

I noticed there's only a really small selection of a card's details is put into the Apple Watch app, and PIN isn't one of them.

@Jumpman: I'm sorry for the trouble! I don't have an Apple Watch (yet!) to experiment with, but I believe this is because the 'primary' fields of a Credit Card item are the account number, the expiration, and the verification code -- which is why the PIN is listed under 'Additional Details'. I don't know if this is the case, but I would guess that having a Bank Account item in 1Password on your Apple Watch might do the trick. Does that work better, to display the PIN for your account?

It almost seems like the CVV and PIN would be the two details one would need to have on the Watch (since you would likely be using Apple Pay or the physical card for payment anyway)...

Yes, I know I can create a more basic entry and put the PIN in that (I've done that for the meanwhile), I just wanted to see what the developers thought about this.

This is not ideal at all, so I will definitely share your request to choose which fields of an item are displayed in 1Password on the Apple Watch with the rest of the team. I suspect that as more of us on staff have had time to use it we will have similar feelings. Thanks for the feedback! :chuffed:

P.S: And a happy 30th anniversary to you and your 'super' brother! ;) :+1:

ref: OPI-2660

• Jumpman
    Jumpman
    Community Member

@brenty My pleasure and thanks for the quick reply. I completely agree with what you thought about the CVV and PIN, by the way and I did assume the whole PIN issue was due to its placement in that field. Thanks for the anniversary love. Wahoo!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jumpman: My pleasure! I'm glad to hear that we're on the same 'level' there. Itsa your party! :+1: :fearful: :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @brenty,

Could I suggest that ALL credit card details are shown and scrolling will take care of the rest.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HRD,

Thanks so much for the suggestion! We've thought a lot about how to take advantage of this shiny new device and make 1Password as useful as it can possibly for all those lucky Apple Watch owners out there. And we're certainly still figuring things out.

At this time though, we're choosing to be very careful about the data that is shown on the watch. We want to keep it clean and simple. We don't want users to be overwhelmed with all of the information that might exist in a single item, the idea is to present you with just the detail that you need at the moment.

Your feedback is much appreciated though - its' great to know what kind of data you do want to see on your Watch. :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

I can't think of anything more useful to have on your Watch than PIN numbers. I have different one for all my cards and never remember them.

I suggest you think again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HRD,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. My comment specifically related to your request to show all the credit card details on your Watch.

Brenty has already mentioned above that an issue has been filed with respect to the PIN numbers. If that was what your request referred to, we'll happily add a vote for you to that issue in our tracking system. ;)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

PIN numbers are a must have for me on the Watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

I suggest you think again.

@HRD: As with all of our software, we continue to think as a matter of process, rather than thinking once and calling it done. For us (and I daresay most of our customers) security is not an afterthought, so we're starting here and then working on ways to improve it without making it less secure. As a wise mane once said,

And as our own jpgoldberg mentions in another thread dealing with information on the Watch, we're being cautious about what is stored there since we can't actually run any code on it ourselves. We also have an excellent article that goes into more detail regarding Watch security in our knowledgebase.

We may be able to add flexibility in the future, but only if we can keep your data secure. Right now, only storing part of an items details ensures that we're not putting all of your eggs in one (Watch) basket. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

I'm not a software expert but as a matter of principle, what's the difference between storing PIN numbers on a iPhone compared the Watch, when both are locked by the App and also by the device?

One of the drivers for my purchasing the Watch was to have ease of access to information when my iPhone is inaccessible.

Provide PIN numbers on the Watch, please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@HRD: From the aforementioned Apple Watch security documentation:

the items that are made available to your Watch are protected only by your iOS device passcode, and not by your Master Password.

1Password (like other Watch 'apps') is not running on the Watch itself, so we're not encrypting and decrypting your data there. This happens on your iPhone and is transmitted via Bluetooth to the Watch -- securely, but encrypted by the device, not using your Master Password. At that point the data on your Watch is protected only by your PIN/passcode, which is why we recommend using a stronger one than the typical 4 digits. I hope this helps! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @brenty,

Thanks but I am fully aware how the Watch works.

There is no consistency in your argument. You are prepared to show the verification number but not the PIN. It should be the other way round. What use is the former on the Watch?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@HRD: Sorry for the confusion! My response had nothing to do with PIN versus CVV; I wasn't making an argument, but rather answering your question:

what's the difference between storing PIN numbers on a iPhone compared the Watch, when both are locked by the App and also by the device?

So my point was that the information stored on your Watch is locked only by the device, not by the app. And as I wrote in my original reply to Jumpman:

I will definitely share your request to choose which fields of an item are displayed in 1Password on the Apple Watch with the rest of the team.

And I believe this applies to your case as well, since having the flexibility to choose which fields are shown would allow you to have, well...whatever information you want on your Watch. Please let me know if I've misunderstood! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

hi @brenty,

Noted with thanks.

Let's hope this is updated soon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're most welcome! We'll continue to improve our Apple Watch support. After all, it's only been a week! We're just getting started! ;)

• Chris Matchett
    Chris Matchett
    Community Member

PIN on Credit CARD +1 +1 +1.
    We don't have Apple Pay in the UK so this is the killer feature of 1Password on Apple Watch.

Also need to add bank account detail as my debit card information is stored there. Currently it can't be added to the Watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have Apple Pay in the UK so this is the killer feature of 1Password on Apple Watch.

@Chris Matchett: I had no idea. :(

Also need to add bank account detail as my debit card information is stored there.

Yes! This is on our list. A lot of us really need these things as well now that we've had a chance to use it and see what we feel like we're missing. Thanks for the nudge! :)

• unsaltedrhino
    unsaltedrhino
    Community Member

+1 for PIN on Apple Watch please! Also a UK user chomping at the bit for Apple Pay but until then it would be really useful to be able to quickly and easily see PINs for my cards (I have a few for cash back deals so too many to remember!).

Also don't forget PIN already has 'number' in it's acronym ;)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @unsaltedrhino,

See above - I have also made the same request and hopefully it will come soon, unlike Apple Pay that will be an age for the majority that are outside the USA.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Also don't forget PIN already has 'number' in it's acronym

:lol: :+1:

@unsaltedrhino, @HRD: Well, if it's any consolation, I've only actually found one place I frequent that supports Apple Pay. It's still early days here in the U.S. too! Indeed, you will likely see many 1Password improvements on Apple Watch before Apple Pay becomes widespread. ;)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Any news on the update to show PIN numbers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: Nothing to announce at this time, but we're exploring ways to expand 1Password functionality on Apple Watch in general! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Noted with thanks.

Let's hope it will not that long. I don't have much use for 1Password on Watch without PIN numbers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Understood! I know that others (our team included) have expressed this as well. Cheers! :)

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Any progress with PIN being shown on Watch? If not, why the delay in pushing out the beta for this have must feature?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@HRD: We're working on an update with improvements for the overall Apple Watch experience, rather than a small update just to add PIN support.

PIN isn't the only request we've had for displaying other information, and it wouldn't be right of us to just add that at the expense of everyone else's requests. I don't have a timeframe for an update with revamped Watch support, but it's in the works. :) :+1:

• HRD
    HRD
    Community Member

Hi @brenty,

Noted with thanks.

This discussion has been closed.