No results using search box

When entering two letters or more in the search box, 1Password shows no results at all. In case of entering only one letter, 1Password even shows results, which don't contain this letter. That means the search box doesn't work at all.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Well as it works for me I'm afraid you really are going to have to supply more information. I assume you're using 1P5 and referring to the search box in the main app. If either of those assumptions is incorrect please tell us.

If the assumptions are correct one thing to check is what your default search is set to when you click on the search drop down. Mine is Title and the search results narrow down the more letters I type in the search box.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilfriedSchoeler,

I'll also be curious to your reply to Stephen_C's post. Typing a single character into the search box takes a vault of 222 items down to 85 for me. It would seem we need a bit more info to narrow down why you're seeing what you are.

• WilfriedSchoeler
    WilfriedSchoeler
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Hi! I am still using 1P desktop version 3.9.6 for Mac. The search box is in the upper right corner, and there is no possibility to set the search options. In the attached image file you can see that in most cases the result even doesn't contain the typed letter.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @WilfriedSchoeler ,

First of all, I've moved your post to the 1Password 3 (Legacy) forum, just to keep things organized.

I'm sorry but I'm not able to see the screenshot that you've posted here. But knowing that you're using 1Password 3 gives us some context. Stephen and littlebobbytables are referring to 1Password 4/5, which has been completely re-designed... what they're saying won't apply to 1Password 3.

I'll admit, I don't use 1Password 3 much anymore, but I dusted off my old version and took a peek at the search field. When I start typing, a bar appears below with options to customize my search. You can see in this screenshot that it is possible to refine the search so 1Password is only searching the item's titles.

Does this help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

@WilfriedSchoeler: Sorry for the confusion! I see that you are getting four results in your search for "g". It appears that you have elected to have 1Password search only Username (Benutzername).

I know I don't have many usernames that have a "g" in them (except when a Gmail address is my username!) Do you get a different (or better) result if you change the search scope to Everything (Alles?):

• WilfriedSchoeler
    WilfriedSchoeler
    Community Member

Thank you for the screenshot! I notice, that I don't have the search bar on my screen, which apparently has to be above the main window. Therefore I don't see the search options. I have looked for it, but I cannot find, how to activate the search bar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WilfriedSchoeler: I am very confused. I actually just copied the screenshot you posted and added the circle and arrow for illustration. Was the screenshot in your previous post not one you took of what you see on your own Mac?

If you click where it says "Benutzername" you can choose a different scope for the search, which should yield different results, as it will not be limited to searching only the contents of the "username" fields of your items. I hope this helps! :)

• WilfriedSchoeler
    WilfriedSchoeler
    Community Member

I must apologize! I was looking for the search bar without entering a letter in the search box. Today I realized, that the search bar only appears during the searches. And now of course I have the options the alter the searches. Thank you for your help!! That's what I was looking for.

• Thanks for the update! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get everything sorted out. :)

Let us know if you have any other questions or problems!

This discussion has been closed.