Sync of iMac, MBP,iPad via iCloud possible

Options
hansjoachim
hansjoachim
Community Member

Hello forum

I don't understand the help about establish sync so I ask.
I have 1PW4 on iMac and MBP.
I bought 1PW4 in May 2014 direct by agile bits.

In November 2014 I bought an iPad and also 1PW for iPad.
I bought 1PW for iPad in iTunes.

Can I sync iMac, MBP and iPad with iCloud?

Regards

Jochen

Comments

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

On iMac and MPB is Mac OS X 10.9.5. On iPad is iOS8.1

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hansjoachim,

I think our page titled iCloud FAQs (iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite) will help explain everything you need, specifically the subsection I’m using the version of 1Password from your website. What happened to iCloud Sync?

Now it may be you do still have questions after that and if you do please don't hesitate to post back and we'll do our best to help with any outstanding queries :smile:

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for quick feedback.
    It's not so helpful.
    Your link is named iCloud FAQs (iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite)

I use on my iMac and MBP Mac OS X 10.9.5 = Mavericks.

Jochen

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

And in FAQs is text:
    Frequently asked questions about the new iCloud Sync in 1Password 5, iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

I use 1Password4.

Jochen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

@hansjoachim

iCloud syncing is only available on Yosemite, due to underlying changes and the use of Cloud Kit.

• What are the requirements to use the new iCloud?

iOS devices:

iPhone 4s or newer, iPad 2 or newer
    iOS 8
    1Password 5 for iOS
    Macs:

OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
    1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hansjoachim,

I'm sorry for the confusion about iCloud sync! The information from thightower is correct, and I'd like to elaborate on that to give you some more specific details. First, to make sure I understand your setup: You're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 4 for Mac on two Macs running OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks), and you're using 1Password 5 for iOS on your iPad running iOS 8. Is that correct?

If so, unfortunately there are a couple reasons why you won't be able to use iCloud sync. The first is that iCloud sync won't work between 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS. This is related to the major changes in iCloud that Apple introduced in Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and iOS 8. 1Password 5 uses Apple's new CloudKit technology for the new iCloud sync, which unfortunately is not backwards-compatible with the old iCloud sync option in 1Password 4, or with previous versions of Mac OS X.

Also, due to the way Apple's new iCloud Drive and CloudKit work, if you've enabled the iCloud Drive option on your iPad, that makes a change to your iCloud account such that the older iCloud sync method in 1Password 4 will no longer work on other Macs or iOS devices associated with that same Apple ID.

This is all explained in more detail here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

I apologize for the inconvenience! I hope that helps to explain why iCloud sync isn't working for you.

In order to sync 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS, you'll need to switch to Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. If you have more questions about that or need help to set up Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, please let us know. Thanks!

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for feedback. That was my first questions;-) as I wrote.
    Than I must use an other solution if it is possible.
    In 2014 I have contact with agile bits.
    Agile bits wrote in autumn that developing of solution is under work.
    What is in roadmap?
    But I'm not sure the developing is also for iOS because I have now an iPad.

Jochen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hansjoachim,

We do receive a lot of requests from users to add support for other cloud sync services, and our developers have certainly been exploring options. However, at this time I don't know when more sync options will be added or what those will be. It's a little more complicated than it may seem, but hopefully we'll have more options for you in the future.

I'm sorry I don't have more information for you about that! If you need anything else, we're always glad to help. :)

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

OK, I read the reason why I cannot use iCloud sync for my MBP, iMac and iPad.
    You described my system right in first paragraph.
    I read the link with Wi-Fi sync but I miss an answer to my following second questions.

Q1:
    Can I use Wi-Fi sync only between iMac and iPad when I use the same local network.
    Yes or No?

Q2:
    Can I use Wi-Fi sync between iMac and MBP when I use the same local network.
    Yes or No?

Regards

Jochen

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Can I use Wi-Fi sync only between iMac and iPad when I use the same local network.

Yes.

Can I use Wi-Fi sync between iMac and MBP when I use the same local network.

No: but take a look at folder sync and see if that might help. (Although the knowledge base article to which I've linked is in the 1P5 user guide it applies also to 1P4.)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hansjoachim,

Have you considered Dropbox as a possible cloud sync service? It would behave in the same way iCloud would have, you set it up on all the devices and can then pretty much forget about it. It would allow you to sync multiple Macs and iOS devices without a lot of faffing about and works over 1Password 4 and 5 for both Mac and iOS and even 1Password 3 for Mac too.

Of course it might be you have specific reasons that discount Dropbox but I thought I would just ask.

• hansjoachim
    hansjoachim
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

Thanks fot feedback.

I would sync via Dropbox.
    I have problem.
    Post this problem in new thread here some minutes before.

Regards

Jochen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll continue the conversation over in the other thread :smile:

This discussion has been closed.