Slow Wi-Fi Sync between Windows and iOS 8.3 (also loops many times)

Options
HappySir
HappySir
Community Member
edited May 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

I'm trying to do Wi-Fi sync between a Windows 7 system and an iOS 8.3 iPhone.

Windows is running version 4.3.1.560 of 1Password and the phone is running version 5.4.1.

I notice two problems:
1) Sync is very slow. Looking at the progress indication I estimate it syncs 1 item per 1-2 seconds and sometimes the window appears to be "Not responding" and the UI actually freezes.
2) I'm syncing 100 items. The sync process goes from 1 to 100 and then restarts at which point the phone indicates only 20 items synced. Once the process reaches 100 again it restarts once more and at that point the phone indicates about 30 items synced. This thing goes on again and again until finally the phone reports all 100 items synced. If you combine this with (1) the whole syncing takes tens of minutes.

I also have an iPad running iOS 7.1.2 and version 4.5.3 of 1Password. With the same Windows PC the process is fast (almost instantaneous) and iterates over the items-to-be-synced just once (as it should).

I must say that the Windows PC is reading the password vault over a samba network mount (appears as a drive in My Computer). I copied the vault to my local drive and the process became fast again. But it's weird because syncing with the iPad was fast in the first place so I cannot blame the Windows OS or the network mount. So that's a workaround for (1) but I'd still file it as a bug.

However, even with the password vault read from the local drive on the Windows PC, the multiple sync loops persist. So syncing with the phone is fast when reading from the local disk but it still has to repeat the loop multiple times.

Let me know if you need any more information to work on this.

Thanks

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @HappySir,

We've made a lot of improvements in the Wi-Fi sync subsystem in the latest betas of 1Password for Windows. It would really help if you can test it and tell us if it fixes your issues. Your data shouldn't be affected but you can back up your 1Password data before the beta.

1. First, back up your 1Password data by opening 1Password and go to the Backup Menu > Backup 1Password Vault
    2. Now, unlock 1Password, press the Preferences button on the toolbar, go to Updates, and check the box next to Include Beta updates, press OK to save the changes.
    3. Go to the Help Menu > Check for New Version to download the latest beta update.
    4. After installing the update, test the sync with your iPhone. It should be fast now.

I must say that the Windows PC is reading the password vault over a samba network mount (appears as a drive in My Computer).

We do not recommend storing your 1Password vault on a network share regardless of the sync. The vault is extremely I/O intensive, it has to do a lot of read and write calls, even if you're not doing much. You'd have an overall better experience if you store it on the local vault and use a sync tool to sync the vault to your network share.

When you set up a Wi-Fi sync session, we have to read every item you have in the vault and create a new transport vault to sync to your device, this would be repeated each time you do a sync.

• HappySir
    HappySir
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT,

thanks for the quick response! I updated to 4.3.2.BETA-568.

Sync is still slow. I understand your concern about smb mounts and that's why I mentioned that I have no trouble syncing with my iPad using the same mount.

As far as the syncing loops are concerned, previously it would go from 1 to 100 multiple times. Now once it reaches 100/100 it updates the progress to 100/200 and then once it reaches 200/200 it updates to 200/300 and so on. Overall it updated 800 items. I only have 100 login entries. I'm thinking maybe the items it syncs do not correspond to what the user perceives as vault entries. In any case the new way of counting synced items is more reassuring than a counter which restarts multiple times.

• MikeT
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @HappySir,

We're selectively syncing in sets of 100 items to keep the sync stable and make sure the iOS device is still working. Sometime we sync and the device goes to sleep, which then causes a loopback issue. So, after the first set of 100 items is sent, we check to make sure the device is still alive and waiting for us to send another set.

Everything in your 1Password data will be sync'ed, including folders and tags, so it is not going to match the count of your items.

Can you email us your Wi-Fi sync logs? In the Wi-Fi sync window on your PC, there is the View Log button on the bottom left, press it, and select the logs (Control+A to select all, then Control + C to copy) to paste it in Notepad. Save the file to your desktop as wifi-sync-logs.txt. Please email that to us at support+windows@agilebits.com and include the link to this thread in the email, so we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.