How do I move a folder within a 1Password vault to another vault?

Options

How do I move a folder within a 1Password vault to another vault? (I have my logins separated into two folders in one vault, but want to separate my logins into two separate vaults.) I am using 1Password version 4 on Windows 7. Thank you.

Comments

• LauraR
    Options

@tmholmes - open that folder, press ctrl + A to select all items in that folder, select File > Export - select Format 1PIF and select 'Selected Logins'.
    This will create a .1PIF file which is an unencrypted file.
    Create a new vault and then Import that 1PIF file.
    As the .1PIF file is unencrypted be sure to trash this file and also empty the trash to completely delete it.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

As the .1PIF file is unencrypted be sure to trash this file and also empty the trash to completely delete it.

Does Mac file delete do a secure wipe? If not then you should also use a secure delete tool.

• LauraR
    Options

Yes, when you delete a file, Windows removes the index for the file and prevents the operating system from accessing the file’s contents. However, an attacker with direct access to the disk can still recover the file’s contents until it has been overwritten by another file—which might never happen. There are a number of tools you can use to overwrite the contents of the file. Here are a few examples -

• tmholmes
    tmholmes
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you LauraR and RichardPayne. I will try that. Also, it may solve the following, and would appreciate your comments on this as well: I loaded all of my data (passwords) using my Windows PC, storing the vault in Dropbox. I can access everything using my iPhone this way. Then when I set up 1Password on the iMac, I was able to navigate to the vault and folder within the vault, but did not find any data there. I could add new passwords to it from the iMac. I have not experimented as completely as I want to, as there must be logic to this. I may try the export and import method that you suggested too. In the case, export in the Windows environment and import the file in the Mac environment.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@tmholmes: I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish with the Mac, so maybe you can elaborate there. On the Mac you should see the 1Password.agilekeychain as a 'bundle', which you can double-click to open it in 1Password.

And in case it helps, you can also simply copy and paste between vaults in 1Password for Windows -- ctrl+c in one vault, switch, ctrl+v in the other. Importing exported data (as LauraR described) may be easier though if you're talking about moving a lot of data. I hope this helps! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I don't think he's using a Mac. I have no idea where I got that idea from.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@RichardPayne: tmholmes did mention using 1Password on an iMac in his previous post, so I wanted to follow up and make sure we're all on the same page. :)

And just to clarify, Mac file deletion does not, strictly speaking, do a secure delete, but if you're using FileVault2 the whole volume is encrypted; and also you can Secure Empty Trash to zero out the data as well.

This discussion has been closed.