Please improve the search functionality

yoramv
yoramv
Community Member

First of all, awesome job. I'm using 1Password on all of my devices and I think it's great. It is always the first app I install on any new device. However we have to talk about search and how the results are displayed. Usually when I search for a login I will search by the site name. However, the search results show any match which leads to some weird results. For example, if I search for "ebay" for, the ebay login in the only thing not shown. I'll have to scroll down to find it (instead it will show me all the logins where I used my ebay email first). The only thing that works perfectly is the menu bar utility (on the Mac) which will give priority to logins.

Please please fix this?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I don't know what version of 1P you're using but if it's 1P4 or 1P5 it sounds as though, in the search drop down, you have it set to search all fields instead of just title (which works for me).

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yoramv,

Thanks for your kind words about 1Password! Please let me know if Stephen's suggestion to search title only gets things behaving for you. If you have further questions, we're happy to help. :)

• yoramv
    yoramv
    Community Member

Like I've mentioned in my original post, this does work perfectly in the search bar of the menu bar utility. However, I can't find a way to replicate this search in the application itself (either on the Mac or any of the iOS devices - iphone and ipad).

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yoramv,

In the main app on Mac (and Windows), you can click the magnifying glass in the search bar for a similar dropdown menu. Here's the user guide page on that.

I don't believe there is a way to change the search settings in the iOS app at this time. I have just created a new issue in our issue tracker to request this functionality be added. The developers can take a look and see if this may be implemented in a future release of 1Password for iOS. Thanks for your feedback!

ref: OPI-2680

• yoramv
    yoramv
    Community Member

You are right! However even when set to "Titles" it will show me matches for username. I can send you a screenshot as an example but when I search for "ebay", the first ebay website shown is the 7th result.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Thanks, @yoramv, you're absolutely right. I was able to find an open issue for this in our bug tracker, and I have added your vote. Hopefully we'll be able to address this in a future release. Cheers!

ref: OPM-1323

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yoramv,

However even when set to "Titles" it will show me matches for username.

That is an open issue, as @Vee mentioned. It is possible to do a custom search that limits the scope to item titles, e.g.:

Custom searches can be saved as Smart Folders. You could leave the text box empty in that Title contains example and save it as a smart folder, later select it in the sidebar, then press ⌃⌥⌘F ( Control-Option-Command-F) to Show Search Options and enter text to search for. Press ⌃⌥⌘F again to close the search. Here's a Title contains smart folder being used like that:

It can be convenient to use smart folders as templates for frequently used custom searches instead of reentering the criteria each time.

I hope that helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.